Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

Do you plan to track your GRC?

• No, I don't plan on tracking my GRC at all.

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • Yes, I plan on tracking my GRC occasionally.

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Yes, I plan on tracking my GRC regularly.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Yes, I plan on tracking my GRC every weekend.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of you plan on tracking your GR Corollas?
Personally, I plan on buying an ND2 Miata for the racetrack, so no regular tracking of my GRC.
Probably take it out once to "SEE HOW SHE DOES."馃槃

Registered
Tundra, Honda Fit, NB2 Miata Exocet project
The 1-year membership that comes with the car.. I'm assuming that covers instruction, but not track fees?

I'm thinking I will track the GRC once or twice, but Im hoping to build an exocet mx-5 at some point for dedicated track duty

Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
If it works like SCCA, the membership is just a membership, gets you a discounted rate on entry fee per event. The Toyota one includes one event entry so it sounds like you can attend one ecent for free.
Scca autox if you are a novice you can get a 鈥渋nstructor鈥 to ride with you. You dont get a formal instruction session, rather theyll tell you mostly how to navigate the course. They may give you driving pointers, but usually their main concern is that you get through the course correctly and safely. Occasionally they will bring in a formal driving school for a dedicated event.

Registered
If someone tells me how to track a car I might lol. Hoping to take advantage of that 1 year membership that comes with the car.
The 1-year membership that comes with the car.. I'm assuming that covers instruction, but not track fees?

I'm thinking I will track the GRC once or twice, but Im hoping to build an exocet mx-5 at some point for dedicated track duty
Both of you should research High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) events. Also you can't just show up and run at a track event without an instructor (if you don't have experience). They won't let you on. But have fun learning. And be careful, because it's addicting:)

Registered

1 year membership plus 1 free track day with other GRC's. I did it with my Supra. Although now that there's GR 86 and GRC, they might throw them all together.

Registered

Instruction not included, but the FAQ on the GR webpage tells you how to get a complimentary track day. If you had never driven on a track before, they will assign you in HPDE 1 (the beginner group), which NASA does provide you an instructor.

Registered
1 year membership plus 1 free track day with other GRC's. I did it with my Supra. Although now that there's GR 86 and GRC, they might throw them all together.
That鈥檚 cool. I didn鈥檛 know we get a free day. Ford Performance did the same with the Shelby and the Focus RS. I had a lot of fun at UMP on the RS day at the AA. At least in the morning on the circuit. Afternoon was a bunch of bs cone driving :D

Registered
Both of you should research High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) events. Also you can't just show up and run at a track event without an instructor (if you don't have experience). They won't let you on. But have fun learning. And be careful, because it's addicting:)
I highly recommend this for everyone. After seeing Savagegeese's video about the Bondourant school and hearing their admonition that once you drive on a track, you realize how ridiculous it is to drive unsafely on public roads, I later found a (relatively) near track and signed up. I wish I got that kind of education when I was 16, as it would have given me such better skills and awareness. I learned so much in so little time via HPDE.

To answer the original question, I'll likely track the car for the one day just to feel what that's like and better understand the limits of the car, and that'll do it for me.

Registered
I've tracked my Supra quite a bit, and having had an STI that I tracked before, I'll just do the free day with the GRC. The Supra is a phenomenal track weapon and the GRC just won't come close to it. RWD is infinitely more fun. But I will say, if you're new to track driving the GRC will be an excellent car to learn with as AWD is very forgiving and will allow you to make more mistakes before things get dangerous. You'll experience understeer before oversteer and that's a good thing starting out.

Registered
Did my first track day earlier this year and have a weekend coming up in early November. It was amazing. Definitely one of the reasons I'm interested in this car is it can be my daily but I can take it to the track a few times a year (I have a 22 BRZ. Love it, but the kid is getting too big for the backseat!)

Registered
15 WRX, 15 Sienna, 23 GR86
I was under the impression that you just pick a track day wherever/whenever within the 1 year membership period, but you're saying there are special days for the Toyota/NASA freebie? Anyhow I'll find out soon - I still haven't received the mail/email from NASA about it for my GR86 (60 days they said it could take.)

I plan to do it just to do it. I get my fast driving kicks in the sim rig and don't intend on expanding what is my secondary hobby out into something so potentially expensive. But I'd be a fool to pass on that.

If I get a GRC (I'm on the fence) I planned to use that second free track day with the GR86 again - maybe it wouldn't work that way and they'll make me run the Corolla haha. The brakes would be better suited..

Registered
2016 Taco; 2022 Telluride
Tracking a car has always been a dream of mine so I am planning to take advantage of the NASA HPDE for sure and then who knows. I'm guessing it will come down to how much I can stomach the financial cost of tracking a car a few times a year.

Registered
2008 FJ 2020 RAV4 Hybrid 2017 Focus RS
I was under the impression that you just pick a track day wherever/whenever within the 1 year membership period, but you're saying there are special days for the Toyota/NASA freebie? Anyhow I'll find out soon - I still haven't received the mail/email from NASA about it for my GR86 (60 days they said it could take.)

I plan to do it just to do it. I get my fast driving kicks in the sim rig and don't intend on expanding what is my secondary hobby out into something so potentially expensive. But I'd be a fool to pass on that.

If I get a GRC (I'm on the fence) I planned to use that second free track day with the GR86 again - maybe it wouldn't work that way and they'll make me run the Corolla haha. The brakes would be better suited..
NASA does set days, here in UT they're on the track roughly once a month during the good season. I'd look online to check out the scheduled events at your track. If I remember correctly each HPDE session is like $250 and then the NASA membership. Going off of Toyota's advertising I'm assuming they'll pay for the year membership and then one HPDE session.

Tracking a car has always been a dream of mine so I am planning to take advantage of the NASA HPDE for sure and then who knows. I'm guessing it will come down to how much I can stomach the financial cost of tracking a car a few times a year.
Just check out your tracks calendar and see what they offer. I've only tracked in UT, our calendar has club days and then has NASA scheduled. Normally track attendance is with a club, but our track has ATD (amateur track days) on Wednesday evenings where anyone can bring any car on the track. $75 for an hour session as long as you have your helmet. GREAT value.

Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
I'll probably have a more active 1st year with the NASA membership, but I definitely don't plan to turn it into a race car and don't really see myself doing it long term. I have quite a few HPDE weekends under my belt, and while I absolutely love those days, the time and money to do it competitively isn't worth it to me. I do 1-2 track sessions a year for product testing and this car could be roped in there too, but as far as on my own I'm content with 2-3 track or autox days a year where I can go and just have a good time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts