·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"Toyota GR Yaris AWD Hot Hatch Does 0 To 60 MPH In 5.3 Seconds"
source: Toyota GR Yaris AWD Hot Hatch Does 0 To 60 MPH In 5.3 Seconds

"The 2023 Toyota GR Corolla Will Do 0-60 in 4.99 Seconds"
source: 2023 Toyota GR Corolla Specs: 0-60 Time, Top Speed, Curb Weight
I am VERY dubious of the sub 5 second 0-60 time for the GRC. There is no way it is quicker off the line than the GRY (the GRY is capable of 4.8 0-100 (62 mph))

But once it has momentum on like a rolling lap of a track it may be quicker.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"Toyota GR Yaris AWD Hot Hatch Does 0 To 60 MPH In 5.3 Seconds"
source: Toyota GR Yaris AWD Hot Hatch Does 0 To 60 MPH In 5.3 Seconds

"The 2023 Toyota GR Corolla Will Do 0-60 in 4.99 Seconds"
source: 2023 Toyota GR Corolla Specs: 0-60 Time, Top Speed, Curb Weight
Mmhm... one is manufacturer claim and the other is real world, non-control conditions. CarWow rarely does any number testing on a pan flat both direction test. I hope you understand the difference between the two.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ Another thing people need to note is the TH track is basically an abandoned track and wasn't well maintained and why the surface was so green when they first started using it. They note this in every track session stating their track is a really bumpy little track. This favors shorter gears and wheel/tire combos with actual sidewalls. One thing the FK8 didn't have was sidewall and every one of those mid corner bumps send the wheel rate to infinity upsetting the car since the sidewall compressed to the wheel. So any time you see a car show up with a 30 profile on that track (or any other bumpy track), it's not going to directly compare against most better maintained tracks and why any serious track driver will swap out any factory installed 30 profile wheel combo to something with more sidewall if they can. (to the OP) Basically comes down to don't take any one source to be the definitive source of information just because it favors a view.
Their track seems even tighter than Tsukuba. Really doesn't favor power also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Their track seems even tighter than Tsukuba. Really doesn't favor power also.
TH's track is an old (assuming muni) runway course like that's even smaller than Top Gear's course or a few others. It's not a real track that can actually handle more than a few cars if it were open to the public. Tsukuba or any other dedicated track is much, much bigger.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TH's track is an old (assuming muni) runway course like that's even smaller than Top Gear's course or a few others. It's not a real track that can actually handle more than a few cars if it were open to the public. Tsukuba or any other dedicated track is much, much bigger.
It's actually 40 minutes away from my house and it is open to the public, just to give you a heads up.
Got to do your homework my friend.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's actually 40 minutes away from my house and it is open to the public, just to give you a heads up.
Got to do your homework my friend.
Fairly certain TH doesn't use the official TMP track. It might be within the same facility but the TH track itself goes right up against the windmills, much narrower, has red instead of yellow curbing, there's a few line markers across the track to indicate airport use and they do an incredible job of editing out the main straight wall area and the high speed 1-2 turn if it actually is. Thomas is an absolutely other worldly driver to get the times he does as LapMeta and FastestLaps only have 5 times faster than 1:15 recorded on that course. Good on you for being absolutely confident in your information when it doesn't appear TH advertises Toronto Motorsports Park in any of their headers/pages.

On the videos (like below) which include an track heat map...
C8 vs Shelby with heat map and track footage

Sure doesn't match the TMP typical layout. Guess I need to do more 'homework.' (y) Though considering TH James is poking around here might be able to ask him directly if it's something you need a definitive answer about.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fairly certain TH doesn't use the official TMP track. It might be within the same facility but the TH track itself goes right up against the windmills, much narrower, has red instead of yellow curbing, there's a few line markers across the track to indicate airport use and they do an incredible job of editing out the main straight wall area and the high speed 1-2 turn if it actually is. Thomas is an absolutely other worldly driver to get the times he does as LapMeta and FastestLaps only have 5 times faster than 1:15 recorded on that course. Good on you for being absolutely confident in your information when it doesn't appear TH advertises Toronto Motorsports Park in any of their headers/pages.

On the videos (like below) which include an track heat map...
C8 vs Shelby with heat map and track footage

Sure doesn't match the TMP typical layout. Guess I need to do more 'homework.' (y) Though considering TH James is poking around here might be able to ask him directly if it's something you need a definitive answer about.
They use Toronto Motorsports Park.
Why are you questioning this fact?
Look it up on Google maps yourself.
There's not 2 or 3 circuit tracks at the facility just whats on the map.
It's a shitty little track, but its 40 minutes away, and I like lots of corners much more than long, high speed straightaways.
Asphalt Urban design Map Road Font

·
Registered
80 Posts
I (or anyone) don't need you to keep posting Google Maps screen shots of TMP as most know the track exists. I didn't question this 'fact,' I stated it's not standard configuration. There's plenty of indicators for the kind of track TH uses as they show plenty of track video, simply watch their videos and compare the times/configuration/landmarks/aerial photos and it's easy to tell it's minimally not TMP in standard configuration. Heck just for you I'll find you a montage of their track for you, does it look like that TMP map you just posted?

Throttle House Track Montage

Just for reference here's some times for TMP, remember the GR Corolla did a 1:14.66

Hopefully you can note how difficult it would be to have the majority of your leaderboard sub 1:15 lap times here. I even linked you directly to a map of their track and now an aerial view, it's not the same as TMP. Not much else I can do as you're not paying any attention to the track they use in the videos, so believe what you like as it's a silly point in the first place. Back to the point - low sidewall tires aren't ideal for bumpy small tracks so taller sidewall tires like the GR Corolla 235/40/18's will have an advantage on these tracks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The problem with manufacturer claimed 0-60 times is that they are attained in a “normal” manner.

Normal means no clutch dump at high RPM or anything else that causes significant damage to a car (and yes, every such clutch dump causes significant damage - I wouldn’t even call it “wear”). If done civilly, there is simply no way in hell that a stock GRY gets 0-60 anywhere close to 5 seconds.

Change the formula, dump the living shit out of the clutch, and you’ll run 4.8 seconds consistently (or as long as the clutch withstands it, which won’t be long).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I honestly get tired of all the 0-60 talk and lap times, who really gives a crap? Most people aren't going to drag race their GRC or track it. If a different car is .1 seconds faster 0-60 or a fraction quicker around the track it just won't matter. I'm so looking forward to having a blast with it in the canyons and mountains where it will truly shine. And the smile on my face will be priceless. 😎

·
Registered
149 Posts
I honestly get tired of all the 0-60 talk and lap times, who really gives a crap? Most people aren't going to drag race their GRC or track it. If a different car is .1 seconds faster 0-60 or a fraction quicker around the track it just won't matter. I'm so looking forward to having a blast with it in the canyons and mountains where it will truly shine. And the smile on my face will be priceless. 😎
Agree.
I personally don't think the Morizo Edition is worth the extra money.
Plus you lose the practically of the rear seats, no rear wiper, Alcantara steering wheel, just for bragging rights and 1/10 of a second faster to 60 mph.
I'm sure if you spent the difference on a Core with tuning, suspension and other mods you'd end up with a much quicker car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Agree.
Plus you lose the practically of the rear seats, no rear wiper, Alcantara steering wheel, just for bragging rights and 1/10 of a second faster to 60 mph.
I'm sure if you spent the difference on a Core with tuning, suspension and other mods you'd end up with a much quicker car.
You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree.
Thanks for that and again you missed the entire point. The Morizo isn't about getting from 0-60 faster. Ask ANY of the reviewers who have actually driven the car. It's simply the most fun. Here you are now complaining about the most fun to drive version's existence, for a car you couldn't or wouldn't buy anyway with likely only a thousand or so (if multiple model years) to be made in the first place. It's not about buying the value version and pricing it up with modifications as that goes against what the actual point was. The car isn't about 0-60 or splitting hair track times...

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
615 Posts
Thanks for that and again you missed the entire point. The Morizo isn't about getting from 0-60 faster. Ask ANY of the reviewers who have actually driven the car. It's simply the most fun. Here you are now complaining about the most fun to drive version's existence, for a car you couldn't or wouldn't buy anyway with likely only a thousand or so (if multiple model years) to be made in the first place. It's not about buying the value version and pricing it up with modifications as that goes against what the actual point was. The car isn't about 0-60 or splitting hair track times...
Well, it isnt worth it to him.
To those who want the GRY, the ME is likely worth it to them.
if you did everything aftermarket to a CE to bring to what the ME is, im pretty sure itll exceed the price. The labor alone to complely strip the interior to add more stitch welds then reseal and paint to as close a factory finish as possible, which it wont be, will prob exceed the cost difference. But a lot of people dont need this and wont be able to appreciate it. The ME isnt for everyone, or even most. If you need an armrest and subwoofer, it isnt for u.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's not 2 or 3 circuit tracks at the facility just whats on the map.
It's a shitty little track, but its 40 minutes away, and I like lots of corners much more than long, high speed straightaways.
The irony about homework…

they are using Dunnville. It was closed to the public for noise violations. Not sure how they get around it. It’s not TMP but it’s actually 20 minutes away and unrelated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, it isnt worth it to him.
if you did everything aftermarket to a CE to bring to what the ME is, im pretty sure itll exceed the price. The labor alone to complely strip the interior to add more stitch welds then reseal and paint to as close a factory finish as possible, which it wont be, will prob exceed the cost difference. But a lot of people dont need this and wont be able to appreciate it. The ME isnt for everyone, or even most. If you need an armrest and subwoofer, it isnt for u.
You and I must be reading this entirely differently as his entire last sentence is about spending the difference to modify a core car to ME performance and coming out ahead. As for "worth," name 3 super low production cars that are "worth it" to the masses. Under the same guise, do we need a post from every one of the masses to say it's not "worth it" to them just because low production limited editions exist? Don't think anyone here has said one has to get the ME or nothing... or even an ME is "worth it." The complaints are about just it existing as an option which is silly.

But again I'm pretty sure Jim's point is quit being so obsessed with performance numbers. Is the car fun to drive? Does it serve it's purpose to people? Which is closer to jack of all trades, master of none. Fast enough, enough space, comfortable enough, all weather, yada yada. Isn't the top of any of those but it ultimately doesn't matter if the car is fun to drive. It's like asking if I'd rather drive a 370z (or even the new Z for that matter now the reviews and real world pricing is coming out) or a GR86. Give me the lower power, cheaper GR86 any day. It's a better chassis, with enough power and simply is a lot more fun to drive. Don't care that it's slower to 60 or around the track. Nissan's ancient chassis simply isn't fun unless you derive fun with a lead foot.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,988 Posts
This right here. It is why I want one. It's the closest we can get to the GRY. With markups, I don't feel it'll be worth it but good luck finding one without markups or that isn't over MSRP on the used market.
Agree.
People said the same about the STi S209 and there's still die hard fans of it and people are paying sticker or above for them still. There's a lot of development and tuning that went into the S209 and ME. That's where most of the premium comes from, as well as the exclusivity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's where most of the premium comes from, as well as the exclusivity.
True. Unfortunately that means the majority of Morizo's are going to be mothballed immediately as investments.

I'd rather have another a more basic model with money left over for track wheels & tires, brake mods, KW coils, sways, and a tune lol.

Dollar for dollar, throw the same amount of money into a Core or CE as you'd end up paying for a Morizo and you'll have a faster car with more tunability. The only thing you can't really replicate is that dope close ratio gearing (at least initially).

·
Registered
321 Posts
True. Unfortunately that means the majority of Morizo's are going to be mothballed immediately as investments.

I'd rather have another a more basic model with money left over for track wheels & tires, brake mods, KW coils, sways, and a tune lol.

Dollar for dollar, throw the same amount of money into a Core or CE as you'd end up paying for a Morizo and you'll have a faster car with more tunability. The only thing you can't really replicate is that dope close ratio gearing (at least initially).
But then it’s not OE.

There’s something about having the factory do all the tuning while retaining warranty and piece of mind because you know that it will be the most reliable way to owning such a car.

Some folks are very particular about their cars. They want maximum performance with as little compromise as possible, which IMO can only be achieved by the factory. A small minority understands why the S209 costs so much and is willing to pay for all the tuning and tech that went into making it feel like arguably the best handling car in the world. That’s why they were produced in such limited numbers.

Coming up on 2 decades of modifying cars and I’ve seen 99% of mods do more harm than good. Especially when it comes to suspension systems and crap coilovers like KW (for the street). You really can’t get anything solid in this area without spending $5k+ with remote reservoirs in my experience.

Factory has hundreds of engineers tuning the car all around for a perfect blend of performance and practicality, which IMO cannot be replicated with bro science and less money.

If your goal is to simply make the core faster around a track than a Morizo and for less money, that’s probably easy. But at what expense? - Likely shit ride on the street, more nvh, sacrificed reliability, etc.

Every sports car variant ever made had this dilema. M2 owners said they can make it better than M2C for less, after which M2C owners said they can make theirs better than M2CS for a lot less. And yet the M2CS is still the most desirable M2 to date with the highest markup.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts