Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why it isn't bigger news that the GRC beat the FK8 on track during the Throttle House test. I can't think of one example of the GRY beating the FK8 in any track comparison (not including drag racing where the GRY always wins). The FK8 has been unbeatable for years and the GRC and Toyota deserve massive credit. The Morizo may also be able to take the FL5.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was VERY impressed too, to see the track result that Throttle House posted! 😊

one thing to note (and it was mentioned in passing somewhere near the end of the vid) — the TH track is extremely tiny, tight, super broken up bumpy surface. The perfect surface for a rally inspired car (more like a old country road). Much less like the ‘real’ tracks that I race at (Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta etc). One of the guys said something to the effect ‘CTR couldn’t apply full throttle due to wheelspin’. And of course with the awd and softer springs the GRC totally could. At big tracks like I mentioned above, the surface is very smooth/grippy, the radiuses much bigger, and LOTS more high speed turns and straights too. My CTR really really gets into it’s stride in the high speed higher RPM stuff. Will be interesting to see how the GRC stacks up on the big tracks!

it’s looking very much like the GRC (i’m ME or at very least CE or bust) will make an excellent stable mate to my CTR 😊

·
Registered
32 Posts
^ so, equivalent to the ball was just deflated
oh no, don’t take my post as that; I’m VERY impressed with the capability of the GRC so far! It’s doing exactly what the designers wanted - kicking ass like a rally car would !! I’m just mentioning (through personal experience and also info gleaned from the TH guys) that it’s not prudent to make a blanket statement such as ‘hey the GRC is faster on track than the CTR!’ It’s certainly faster on the TH test track, but as I said, comparing that place to a real track isn’t really a comparison. And I don’t blame TH - the fact that they have their own test track of any kind is fantastic!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’m all for the GRC and GRY, but I’m pretty sure the FL5 will dismantle both of them on a fast track like Road America, Nurburgring, etc.

Stock for stock, I reckon better grip and overall higher cornering speeds on the FL5.

Comparing apples to apples of course in terms of MSRP. Morizo may very well edge out a base FL5, but it’s $10k more. Then again, I still think base FL5 will do better lap times than the Morizo.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I was VERY impressed too, to see the track result that Throttle House posted! 😊

one thing to note (and it was mentioned in passing somewhere near the end of the vid) — the TH track is extremely tiny, tight, super broken up bumpy surface. The perfect surface for a rally inspired car (more like a old country road). Much less like the ‘real’ tracks that I race at (Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta etc). One of the guys said something to the effect ‘CTR couldn’t apply full throttle due to wheelspin’. And of course with the awd and softer springs the GRC totally could. At big tracks like I mentioned above, the surface is very smooth/grippy, the radiuses much bigger, and LOTS more high speed turns and straights too. My CTR really really gets into it’s stride in the high speed higher RPM stuff. Will be interesting to see how the GRC stacks up on the big tracks!

it’s looking very much like the GRC (i’m ME or at very least CE or bust) will make an excellent stable mate to my CTR 😊
Ehhh... IDK about all that. The Golf R is AWD and couldn't beat out any of the CTR lap times on the same track even though it could go "full throttle" as you say.

Guess we will have to wait and see when the FL5 comes out, or a test on a "real" track between the GRC and the outgoing CTR

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure why it isn't bigger news that the GRC beat the FK8 on track during the Throttle House test. I can't think of one example of the GRY beating the FK8 in any track comparison (not including drag racing where the GRY always wins). The FK8 has been unbeatable for years and the GRC and Toyota deserve massive credit. The Morizo may also be able to take the FL5.
Probably because during the comparisons with the GRY they use the Golf R with the DSG transmission which apparently can hit 60mph in 3.9 seconds.
I think a Golf R with a DSG transmission would beat the GR Corolla on the short Throttle House race track, and walk away from it on a longer higher speed racetrack.
Just common sense as the Golf R has more hp and much quicker shifts.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
473 Posts
Probably because during the comparisons with the GRY they use the Golf R with the DSG transmission which apparently can hit 60mph in 3.9 seconds.
I think a Golf R with a DSG transmission would beat the GR Corolla on the short Throttle House race track, and walk away from it on a longer higher speed racetrack.
Just common sense as the Golf R has more hp and much quicker shifts.
I agree with this assessment. The Golf R will certainly be faster where it can spread its legs. The GR Corolla will like technical circuits.

The GR Yaris and GR Corolla were designed to be similar in straightline speed, but in turns, the GR Yaris has a weight and size advantage.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,973 Posts
I agree with this assessment. The Golf R will certainly be faster where it can spread its legs. The GR Corolla will like technical circuits.

The GR Yaris and GR Corolla were designed to be similar in straightline speed, but in turns, the GR Yaris has a weight and size advantage.
I'll be interested to see the Morizo vs Golf R DSG on any longer track

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the word about GRY getting GRC hp is true, then it’s a game-changer.

GRY with 300 hp will absolutely annihilate the GRC and there’s basically no arguing that. It would be night and day in every metric.

GRY can launch 0-60 in 4.7-4.8 seconds consistently with a proper clutch dump. With a 300 hp Morizo engine, I reckon it can go well under 4.5 seconds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the word about GRY getting GRC hp is true, then it’s a game-changer.

GRY with 300 hp will absolutely annihilate the GRC and there’s basically no arguing that. It would be night and day in every metric.

GRY can launch 0-60 in 4.7-4.8 seconds consistently with a proper clutch dump. With a 300 hp Morizo engine, I reckon it can go well under 4.5 seconds.

It would be awesome but...

"No information was given on when the GR Yaris might be introduced or whether it has even been given the green light internally"

so it's years away if at all. A while ago the UK press were acting like they were getting the GRMN version as well and that never happened.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^ while all of the above is true I find it strange the GRC Core and CE come on PS4 tires instead of PS4S. The PS4S is basically industry standard at this point, and would make it that much more competitive with the CTR which is running... you guessed it PS4S!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
^ while all of the above is true I find it strange the GRC Core and CE come on PS4 tires instead of PS4S. The PS4S is basically industry standard at this point, and would make it that much more competitive with the CTR which is running... you guessed it PS4S!!!!
Listen to what all the criticisms are about the GrC. Too much grip, not enough rotation hence understeering at speed. Adding stickier tires with no other changes just makes the problem worse giving the rear end more grip that the engine and torque split has an ever harder time overcoming. It's generally why Miata's, BRZ/GR86 come under tired so they can be a little more tail happy for the reviewers that disable the stability control features. Additionally the marketing primarily shows it sliding around fire roads and other packed dirt so PS4S's are going to get shredded immediately on that kind of surface... PS4's won't fare much better but they will do better.

One of the biggest changes to the Morizo edition handling is the significantly higher rear spring rate to reduce rear grip and help induce more oversteer. 33% stiffer in the rear vs only 10% increase in the front.

As for the GrC being faster than the GrY - nothing in the specs make it sound plausible. GrC is lower power to weight, longer wheelbase, 400lbs heavier, same drivetrain. same suspension design.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tracks as more rubber is laid down, provide more grip.
^ Another thing people need to note is the TH track is basically an abandoned track and wasn't well maintained and why the surface was so green when they first started using it. They note this in every track session stating their track is a really bumpy little track. This favors shorter gears and wheel/tire combos with actual sidewalls. One thing the FK8 didn't have was sidewall and every one of those mid corner bumps send the wheel rate to infinity upsetting the car since the sidewall compressed to the wheel. So any time you see a car show up with a 30 profile on that track (or any other bumpy track), it's not going to directly compare against most better maintained tracks and why any serious track driver will swap out any factory installed 30 profile wheel combo to something with more sidewall if they can. (to the OP) Basically comes down to don't take any one source to be the definitive source of information just because it favors a view.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts