Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
741 - 760 of 836 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
I fully intend to paint correct and ceramic the ENTIRE car as soon as I have time lol eventually lower dust pads will be a necessity
Congrats! I was researching ceramic coatings and with all the reviews I’ve read, I am getting cold feet. I don’t want to coat the new paint and have it flash or streak and end up having to use a buffer on the car removing bad or badly applied ceramic coatings! I think I will stick to traditional waxes…your thoughts?

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Congrats! I was researching ceramic coatings and with all the reviews I’ve read, I am getting cold feet. I don’t want to coat the new paint and have it flash or streak and end up having to use a buffer on the car removing bad or badly applied ceramic coatings! I think I will stick to traditional waxes…your thoughts?
I just watched your spoiler install very, very well done.
for me I’ve done the last 10 cars I’ve owned with ceramic and a few personal friends vehicles as well. The main thing in regard to that from my experience is just making sure that a) the orbital pads don’t get pushed down to hard by whoever is detailing or you’ll end up with clear burn which, if you don’t catch, gets sealed in by the ceramic or high spots. The high spots, when using a light are fairly easy to notice and can be wiped away prior to the ceramic curing. However even if you happen to miss a spot a light pass with some compound took it off and I reapplied the ceramic. I’ve been hit or miss with waxes but there’s always the options of spray on ceramic sealants which are not permanent. They typically will last 6 months depending on your local weather.I believe you said you were in AZ I would expect az sun to shorten that 6 months. But it’s a less permanent option.

· Registered
2017 VW GTI
75 Posts
A longtime family friend owns a mobile detailing service and he has always recommended Adam's products to me. When I asked him about best DIY ceramic coatings, he again pointed me to Adam's. Apparently their graphene ceramic is super easy to put on and relatively durable given that it isn't a "real" ceramic as would be done by a professional.

· Registered
158 Posts
I just watched your spoiler install very, very well done.
for me I’ve done the last 10 cars I’ve owned with ceramic and a few personal friends vehicles as well. The main thing in regard to that from my experience is just making sure that a) the orbital pads don’t get pushed down to hard by whoever is detailing or you’ll end up with clear burn which, if you don’t catch, gets sealed in by the ceramic or high spots. The high spots, when using a light are fairly easy to notice and can be wiped away prior to the ceramic curing. However even if you happen to miss a spot a light pass with some compound took it off and I reapplied the ceramic. I’ve been hit or miss with waxes but there’s always the options of spray on ceramic sealants which are not permanent. They typically will last 6 months depending on your local weather.I believe you said you were in AZ I would expect az sun to shorten that 6 months. But it’s a less permanent option.
Thank you, I amazed that the GR Core didn’t have a Spoiler stock. Thanks for the ceramic insights.

· Registered
44 Posts
Nice! Congrats! Gah that means you beat me as the first FT86club member with one lol.

Also…I’m planning to remove the roof racks before driving off the lot lol.
Thanks! It was quite a debate with myself on paying the $5k mark up cuz like I said, I don't think there's gonna be a legit MSRP dealer aside from Longo for us here in Cali.

Make sure to bring a MF towel and or a second pair of hands to remove the roof rack!

· Registered
‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
237 Posts
Thanks! It was quite a debate with myself on paying the $5k mark up cuz like I said, I don't think there's gonna be a legit MSRP dealer aside from Longo for us here in Cali.

Make sure to bring a MF towel and or a second pair of hands to remove the roof rack!
$5k over is below average for NorCal. Majority of places sold their first one for 10k over. And yeah only a lucky person will end up getting one at the MSRP dealers in California. Lucky, as in got on the waitlist and the right time and place.

Im surprised yet glad to hear your dealer negotiated and slashed over half the mark-up. Congrats again!

· Registered
44 Posts
$5k over is below average for NorCal. Majority of places sold their first one for 10k over. And yeah only a lucky person will end up getting one at the MSRP dealers in California. Lucky, as in got on the waitlist and the right time and place.

Im surprised yet glad to hear your dealer negotiated and slashed over half the mark-up. Congrats again!
I did try to ask for $2,500 over only. LOL. Didn't hurt to try. But yeah, I was surprised as well.

Hopefully your dealership doesn't pull any fast ones on you. Would really like more people getting the car with no mark up or add on whatsoever. Dealerships need to know they're being way too greedy.

741 - 760 of 836 Posts