Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
360 Posts
The thing is, there are cars that fit certain needs better, but people try to stretch their needs to fit a car if that makes sense.

I will push back (a little) on this in that the GRC is maybe? probably? the more flexible of the three cars tested in this video, in that it can handle rough weather, carry people/things with a comfortable ride quality, and post competitive track times to boot. I think the 'all in one' appeal of the GRC is appealing to a lot of folks, too, which is why so many people can (try to) justify it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will push back (a little) on this in that the GRC is maybe? probably? the more flexible of the three cars tested in this video, in that it can handle rough weather, carry people/things with a comfortable ride quality, and post competitive track times to boot. I think the 'all in one' appeal of the GRC is appealing to a lot of folks, too, which is why so many people can (try to) justify it.
lol nice corolla in your sig... I was hoping there would be some Corolla XRS marketing heritage stuff for the GRC. Used to be on 9th gen corolla forums.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
Yeah I get that point

I don’t necessarily know how to word it but it seems more like they want to like the car, but they know it’s not really something they want.

For example, characteristics a car has.

They want it to perform like some other car. They can still buy that car but instead they want the GRC to really be something else.

I want a Focus RS experience. I’m disappointed that the GRC is different and nothing like it.

Okay then find a Focus RS

but I like the GRC…

but you just said it doesn’t perform or have similar features to the Focus… so what exactly do you like?

That’s what I’m seeing, just a big rabbit hole.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Worked for Hyundai for a few years... Would not own one.
Care to elaborate on common issues they have? If I get screwed by GRC allocations I'm probably going to get an Elantra N.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looked up Aus pricing, it converts to 48k NZD, so still a lot less than the 56k here. Add in our clean car tax and that rises to 60k. Couldn't find details about trim though, perhaps your price is for base trim and ours is for top trim.

I was considering the 86 as a backup if I couldn't get a GRY and if GRC pricing is ridiculous, but 56k/60k is way too much for what's supposed to be a back to basics sports car that isn't made at Motomachi and additionally is collaborated with subaru. The outgoing FK8 was 63k and GRY was 55k when it was last available. I think toyota is really riding the hype.

Also, apologies to everyone who didn't come here to talk about gr86 pricing
Yeah you get screwed over worse than we do. The GR86 pricing has not gone down well over here at all and many people are switching to the BRZ which is significantly cheaper while being better equipped. Toyota really screwed over the target market for these cars. God knows how much the GRC will be.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Care to elaborate on common issues they have? If I get screwed by GRC allocations I'm probably going to get an Elantra N.
My friend, I wouldn't worry about buying a Hyundai N car.
You guys in the states get a 10 year 100/000 mile or 160,000 kms powertrain warranty, so no worries.
Incredible warranty.
If they are willing to give that great a warranty, they must have great confidence in their products.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Worked for Hyundai for a few years... Would not own one.
that's cool, man. i worked for Hyundai a few years myself. saw every ridiculous job that Hyundai would cover under their warranty. for how well the Elantra N performs straight from factory, i would beat the shit out of it for the first 10yrs/100k miles.

·
Registered
Evo X C63 507 Chevy SS all sold tired of buying rear tires and miss the Evo
8 Posts
I owned a 07 Acura TL Type S modded it and was great except for third gear and torque steer that’s when I went to a evo. Wish I had bought the one I wanted because I got the evo se that had the dual clutch because wife can’t drive manual. I had that car for seven years was reliable and great with fbo and tune. Unlike stories I’ve heard about sti’s not being very reliable once modded to a certain point. Anyhow decided to sell the evo and have regretted it ever since. It was such a all around car except for the tiny trunk but the driving experience is something I miss. While it’s very difficult to find evo’s unmolested or at decent price the GRC seems to be a spiritual successor to the evo. So point is if you have a car you love to drive keep it and drive it. If it’s fwd rwd or awd it doesn’t matter because it’s ultimately up to you the driver. For me awd cars like the evo could be drove at 10/10ths no matter the day or road and were so forgiving for not hitting the perfect apex or braking zone it is just pure fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
I owned a 07 Acura TL Type S modded it and was great except for third gear and torque steer that’s when I went to a evo. Wish I had bought the one I wanted because I got the evo se that had the dual clutch because wife can’t drive manual. I had that car for seven years was reliable and great with fbo and tune. Unlike stories I’ve heard about sti’s not being very reliable once modded to a certain point. Anyhow decided to sell the evo and have regretted it ever since. It was such a all around car except for the tiny trunk but the driving experience is something I miss. While it’s very difficult to find evo’s unmolested or at decent price the GRC seems to be a spiritual successor to the evo. So point is if you have a car you love to drive keep it and drive it. If it’s fwd rwd or awd it doesn’t matter because it’s ultimately up to you the driver. For me awd cars like the evo could be drove at 10/10ths no matter the day or road and were so forgiving for not hitting the perfect apex or braking zone it is just pure fun.
I see what you mean.

On another note, the EVO and WRX had this mythical status behind them for the longest in Japan, similar to the GTR. They had this concrete/clear history as well. When they finally came stateside, they succeeded the hype and made the whole rally inspired thing successful for a long time. Their personalities were one of a kind arguably. So I wouldn't say it's the EVO's spiritual successor. (That and it’s always weird calling one manufacturers car, another’s successor.)

GRC is in this weird spot where the marketing rides of the hype of the GR Yaris (The homologated rally car), while the engineer and first drives kind of contradict all that. A lot of people for example don't know the Corolla's sports/motorsport lineage either, but this car will be a legend based off the time it's releasing. It's very interesting.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
473 Posts
Probably best to move this to a New Zealand specific thread.

There is a stunning GR86 JDM RZ version brand new on trade me for $66K but nobody has bought it and thats the only one in the country. Checkout that interior it makes the GRC for our region look terrible.

Because we have the full range of Hyundai cars here already from the i30N fastback AND the hatchback and even the Kona N I'm beginning to think we are simply not going to see the GRC hype here in NZ. Also now that 80% of new car sales here are Auto anyway, people here will simply buy a Golf R if they want AWD. The move to Euro cars in Auckland on my last visit was just shocking it was Mercedes and Audi and BMW just everywhere.
I'd avoid the Subaru RTV fest that is the GR86 right now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If they are willing to give that great a warranty, they must have great confidence in their products.
that's cool, man. i worked for Hyundai a few years myself. saw every ridiculous job that Hyundai would cover under their warranty.
I feel like people are once again falling for the typical kia/hyundai marketing. It's just like how they sell their cars, they make people think "more features, more stylish, and cheaper than the equivalent Toyota/honda, it's a no brainer!" A lot of people fall for this, but some were aware that the asterisk was reliability. Now that they offer a good warranty, people seem to think all the issues are solved.

I'm not here to argue that having such a warranty isn't nice, because it is. What I will say is that kia/hyundai know what they are doing - offering the warranty is simply a cheaper solution than making their cars reliable, not because "they have confidence in their products"

Also I wonder what people think is going to happen once that 10 year marks starts looming on the horizon, at around 7-8 years. It's going to be hard to find someone willing to take it off your hands, the value is going to fall off a cliff. The exception is if you plan on selling it within 3-4 years, and even then you'd need to find yourself an exceptionally shortsighted buyer because they are going to be screwed in a few short years.

Of course the caveat to everything I just said is if kia/hyundai miraculously become reliable all of a sudden. I certainly wouldn't bet $35k on that happening though.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
I feel like people are once again falling for the typical kia/hyundai marketing. It's just like how they sell their cars, they make people think "more features, more stylish, and cheaper than the equivalent Toyota/honda, it's a no brainer!" A lot of people fall for this, but some were aware that the asterisk was reliability. Now that they offer a good warranty, people seem to think all the issues are solved.

I'm not here to argue that having such a warranty isn't nice, because it is. What I will say is that kia/hyundai know what they are doing - offering the warranty is simply a cheaper solution than making their cars reliable, not because "they have confidence in their products"

Also I wonder what people think is going to happen once that 10 year marks starts looming on the horizon, at around 7-8 years. It's going to be hard to find someone willing to take it off your hands, the value is going to fall off a cliff. The exception is if you plan on selling it within 3-4 years, and even then you'd need to find yourself an exceptionally shortsighted buyer because they are going to be screwed in a few short years.

Of course the caveat to everything I just said is if kia/hyundai miraculously become reliable all of a sudden. I certainly wouldn't bet $35k on that happening though.
I mean it wouldn’t be miraculous if they became Toyota like reliable, I’ve seen 100k mile Kia’s still running well without rattles and things.

The concept of reliability is a funny one though. There are companies I would consider less reliable then Hyundai by far, some are brands that people swear by. 😂

·
Registered
103 Posts
I mean it wouldn’t be miraculous if they became Toyota like reliable, I’ve seen 100k mile Kia’s still running well without rattles and things.

The concept of reliability is a funny one though. There are companies I would consider less reliable then Hyundai by far, some are brands that people swear by. 😂
Just a heads up, "Mini's" are truly one of the most unreliable brands out there.
Shame because stylistically they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Um realistically speaking, it would be pretty miraculous. Toyota and honda are right at the top, kia and hyundai are at the bottom. What makes it possible is the fact that they have the money to do it, but what makes it less possible is that their business model works well as it is.

Also I know this is going to sound rude, but saying you've seen examples around with 100k miles means about as much as saying you've seen 90 year old lifelong smokers still walking around.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Um realistically speaking, it would be pretty miraculous. Toyota and honda are right at the top, kia and hyundai are at the bottom. What makes it possible is the fact that they have the money to do it, but what makes it less possible is that their business model works well as it is.

Also I know this is going to sound rude, but saying you've seen examples around with 100k miles means about as much as saying you've seen 90 year old lifelong smokers still walking around.
For you to make that kind of judgment, just curious how many Hyundai cars have you owned personally?

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts

Again there's a lot of other companies, I didn't say they're as reliable as a Toyota or Honda, but I'm saying reliability wise they're better than other companies that people swear by.

That doesn't sound rude at all, its sounds like a dude who thinks he has all the answers. lmao. I work on cars for a living, though I favor Toyotas, from experience Hyundai's aren't as bad as other cars. Not saying they're the best but people have their bias.

It's pretty known that early Hyundai's were throwaway, but whenever you bring up history like some of those cars being just rebadged Mitsubishi vehicles, everyone gets salty. 😂

·
Registered
65 Posts
For you to make that kind of judgment, just curious how many Hyundai cars have you owned personally?
None, and I'm not about to find out the hard way just so I can say I've had personal experience (even then, it wouldn't mean anything anyway). However from talking to mechanics and friends in general, this is the overwhelming consensus, and this is corroborated by most of the internet. And while you might say something like "well that's not scientific data", the data we have on this is questionable and scarce, and I'd rather not bet against everything I've heard just because it doesn't qualify as proof.

·
Registered
103 Posts
None, and I'm not about to find out the hard way just so I can say I've had personal experience (even then, it wouldn't mean anything anyway). However from talking to mechanics and friends in general, this is the overwhelming consensus, and this is corroborated by most of the internet. And while you might say something like "well that's not scientific data", the data we have on this is questionable and scarce, and I'd rather not bet against everything I've heard just because it doesn't qualify as proof.
All I can say is in a court of law what you just wrote would all be considered hearsay, not evidence at all.
Unless you have personal experience with something you're just spreading gossip and rumors.
It's like me saying you know what, I really don't like sushi, I've never tried sushi but I know I wouldn't like it, kind of silly.
I bought an Acura NSX which is a Honda and had problem after problem after problem and so I ending up selling it, before something major broke, there's no guarantees with Toyota or Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts