Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very interesting race. Comments are shocked about the Elantra N. Lol

On another note: look at people moving goal posts for the GRC. They say The GRC is faster then the Golf R because it beat it’s track time, but when the Elantra N beat it’s track time, they say the GRC is better because of its faster time in the drag race. 😂

On top of that they were saying the Type R probably would post a better lap time then originally.

All it means is they all compete with eachother pretty well and each of them have their own pros and cons.
I'm not. The GRC beat the Golf R fair and square and the Elantra N beat the GRC fair and square. I think people have been underselling Hyundai (yes even on this forum) for a long time. They may not look great and the interiors can be hit and miss but the N division brings track tested cars to the street. They didn't hire the head of the BMW M division for nothing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not much difference in the tires guys sorry. The P4S is better in the dry and worse in the wet than the P4.The age and condition of the tire would make the main difference.

Basically not interested in drag racing and the obsession with YouTubers and drags has stuffed manufacturers making manual cars. If you wanted the i30N to beat the the GR then there is the 8 speed DCT to shave off a whole second in the 0-60.

Pretty poor excuse about the Honda, I would have loved to see a proper independent time which everyone seems to avoid. I find it very suspicious that it did not happen here, how long does it take to put a new set of pads in.

You guys must be pissed you do not get the Hyundai i30N Hatchback and ours come with 19inch forged alloys and Pirelli P-Zero tires. Cost wise its a no contest, the GR has AWD but is worse in just about everything else you look at spec wise.

To add insult to injury we also get the Hyundai i30N fastback with a rear thats a bit more Supra looking. The Elantra is plain ugly.

I have driven the i30N and the exhaust sound is the best in its class, no contest.
Yeah I agree, crying fowl over the tires is weak. The cars should be tested with the tires they are sold with.

BTW Just for everyone else that doesn't know the I30N is the Elantra N in hatchback form. So I30N looks better but has the same performance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I remember you were quite high on the GR before, curious to know what it is about the release that's changed your mind?

For me it's the recently released GR86 pricing at 56k NZD, when I expected it to be in the high 40s. I'm pretty sure the GRC is a significantly higher calibre car, which means it will probably be mid to high 60s at least. I hope I'm wrong.
So the Kiwis are getting ripped of with the GR86 as well? Same thing in Aus. Toyota is screwing us over here.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I'm not. The GRC beat the Golf R fair and square and the Elantra N beat the GRC fair and square. I think people have been underselling Hyundai (yes even on this forum) for a long time. They may not look great and the interiors can be hit and miss but the N division brings track tested cars to the street. They didn't hire the head of the BMW M division for nothing.
Look at the comments and everyone was trying to move goal posts. 😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like they said in the video, these sport compacts are all great. As long as you choose the one with the right feature/characteristics, you won't regret your decision.
Guys, this isn't math or physics. Everyone's different so it's pointless to argue one car is simply better than another.
I've recently owned two Hyundai group cars, two Hondas, one Toyota and one Subaru. We're blessed to have such a diverse market. Explore your options.

Buut I have to say, Hyundai fanboys now are the most toxic and aggressive ones. They're like Honda fanboys in the 90s and 00s. That and what they're doing in their home market are the only reasons I will stay away from them. Nothing wrong with the cars tho. They're not what they used to be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I agree, crying fowl over the tires is weak. The cars should be tested with the tires they are sold with.

BTW Just for everyone else that doesn't know the I30N is the Elantra N in hatchback form. So I30N looks better but has the same performance.
I agree. Cars should be compared 100% stock, and that's including the tires.
The thing is, A LOT of people cried over tires when the Veloster N first came out and went head to head against the FK8. All the Youtube reviews were filled with those comments.

Honestly i30N is and always will be the best N vehicle. I have no clue why they're not selling it here in north America. Looks better, similar performance, and more practical too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree. Cars should be compared 100% stock, and that's including the tires.
The thing is, A LOT of people cried over tires when the Veloster N first came out and went head to head against the FK8. All the Youtube reviews were filled with those comments.

Honestly i30N is and always will be the best N vehicle. I have no clue why they're not selling it here in north America. Looks better, similar performance, and more practical too.
Maybe Hyundai stopped selling the Veloster N recently, so it could bring the i30N to North America. 🤞

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup spot on. Especially about give and take. I’m not the type of person to say “well bye” if the GRC doesn’t suit your needs, but I try to offer a solution to whatever while still being realistic.

You have a lot of people always trying to explain themselves and why they’re trying to buy the car. We get it, you got caught up in the internet buzz, just enjoy the car, you don't have to explain yourself to us. It looks sorry and makes you stick out like a sore thumb. 😂

There’s also the people who already have a AWD car, and try to justify buying a similar experience. (STI, Golf R, EVO, RS) Thats okay, those are also collector cars too.

It might be a weird time in the automotive universe, but we definitely have some options.
Agreed.

As it pertains to the GRC, I think some/many wanted some world beater for IG bragging rights or something. “I got the GRC and it’s the best thing out there bro!!!!” I don’t understand this either. Bragging rights mean absolutely nothing in reality. One, nobody races for money around a road course so the competition thing, comparisons, etc, are pure fodder IMO. If you’re that good, you probably aren’t on this forum because you’ve got a contract, and sponsors. So at the end of the day people want to buy any of these cars for verbal or written flexing? I don’t get it. You buy a car for driving dynamics. It’s a tool. What are you going to do with it? If you wanna flex go buy a Charger Scat pack or Hellcat or something.

What gets me about these comparisons is well you have to see through the BS. One, are they pushing the cars to 10/10ths? Most of time, no, not unless you are Randy Pobst. And the biggest thing to me, is they don’t test these cars against each other in all weather conditions. They don’t do it because of cost but more importantly, the FWD entries will not shine, and the GRC, Golf R, and even the WRX will embarrass them once you factor in heavy downpours, snow, and pretty cold weather where you need every mm of traction you can get. Reviewers will only go so far because they are in this to make their own money and busting X’s chops in Y weather could mean the PR person in charge of PR cars gets upset and cuts them off. So these comparisons are made for entertainment. Which one for you should be based on reading/watching reviews, driving one (I realize with the GRC this is nigh on impossible) in normal supply times, and making your own decision. Spending 40k on flexing or based on someone else’s opinion is something I have never done and never will. This class of car has always been two things. The first, the stock performance. The second, what the platform is capable of once modded.

Plenty of options for your particular needs. The GRC loaded core is 39.3k MSRP. That’s right in line with the STi, not much more than I paid for my RS in 2017. So the price is competitive. The drivetrain is solid, and competes. The engine does as well, as does the chassis. If you want AWD, and think the GRC is overpriced, by all means go buy a WRX. It will do many things the GRC will do at a lower price point. Pure straight line acceleration, Golf R, CTR. AWD not necessary, Hyundai, GTI, Civic Si if you don’t want to pay for a CTR. I mean many of this having been doing this a long time. This is a great time for enthusiasts. You’ve got more choices today than in years past and many of them are priced competitively as it relates to the current market. So quit complaining.

·
Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
126 Posts
The Elantra N looked like the driver was bouncing because he was.
I own a 2020 Veloster N and it has adaptive dampers and when you put them in "Sport+" the dampers firm up so much the car and driver just bounces down the road, really unbearable except on very smooth roads/racetracks.
I'm very glad to read that the ride quality of the GRC is quite good, not too firm to rattle your fillings.
Thanks for the confirmation!

·
Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
126 Posts
In my opinion the Kona N is no replacement for the i30N, not even close.
Kona N is an suv not a hott hatchback.
I feel the same way about hatchbacks vs. CUVs, though for what it's worth someone at my workplace had a Veloster Turbo (with fatter wheels and tires and an engine tune) and replaced it with a Kona N, and says the Kona N handles better (for instance gripping better accelerating on curves, where the owner says the Kona N is stable where the Veloster was starting to slide just a little in the back). In person it looks smaller than I expected too. But it is automatic-only.

(I know that's not a straight comparison with a Veloster N, but the Kona N apparently was better than he expected.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
So the Kiwis are getting ripped of with the GR86 as well? Same thing in Aus. Toyota is screwing us over here.
Looked up Aus pricing, it converts to 48k NZD, so still a lot less than the 56k here. Add in our clean car tax and that rises to 60k. Couldn't find details about trim though, perhaps your price is for base trim and ours is for top trim.

I was considering the 86 as a backup if I couldn't get a GRY and if GRC pricing is ridiculous, but 56k/60k is way too much for what's supposed to be a back to basics sports car that isn't made at Motomachi and additionally is collaborated with subaru. The outgoing FK8 was 63k and GRY was 55k when it was last available. I think toyota is really riding the hype.

Also, apologies to everyone who didn't come here to talk about gr86 pricing

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
319 Posts
Also, apologies to everyone who didn't come here to talk about gr86 pricing
Probably best to move this to a New Zealand specific thread.

There is a stunning GR86 JDM RZ version brand new on trade me for $66K but nobody has bought it and thats the only one in the country. Checkout that interior it makes the GRC for our region look terrible.

Because we have the full range of Hyundai cars here already from the i30N fastback AND the hatchback and even the Kona N I'm beginning to think we are simply not going to see the GRC hype here in NZ. Also now that 80% of new car sales here are Auto anyway, people here will simply buy a Golf R if they want AWD. The move to Euro cars in Auckland on my last visit was just shocking it was Mercedes and Audi and BMW just everywhere.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts