Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
319 Posts
Hey I'm used to getting shit but I had the last laugh because I basically retired age 48.

I'm keeping my options open at this stage and the i30N would be the fun dry weather car and if I intend to go skiing and the weather is shit just switch to my Subaru instead.

I was hoping to cut down to one car that "Did it all" but that is still proving difficult.

The i30N could effectively push Toyota to make a high spec GR for our market at a better price than if the i30N didn't exist here so its a win win really. You have to remember we DO NOT get a manual Golf R here so there is nothing to keep a cap on the price.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
250 Posts
I own an Elantra N (DCT) and was pretty set on the GR Corolla until the reviews started coming out. Now my feelings are more mixed! I think if I can get a Core fully optioned at MSRP I’ll take it — otherwise I might wait a few years to see if any of the Morizo stuff makes it into a model with 5 seats.

The pros of the GRC to me are the manual transmission, AWD, hatchback body style, and adaptive cruise.

So far the EN seems more fun to drive (can confirm), has way more interior space, more special seats (vs. GRC Core), longer warranty, and minimum 5K cheaper (I didn’t pay a markup).

I think the one thing I have decided from all of the GRC reviews is I am 100% not paying a markup for one. If later model years can add some of the Morizo stuff and have no markup, that might be the best route. But if I find a loaded Core at MSRP, it’ll be a tough choice!
This is where I’m at. Having the older type R available to test against, the GRC shouldn’t be losing in any category, especially knowing that the next type r will logically be surpassing the older type r. Embarrassing in my opinion. They had an additional full year to develop this GRC (granted it was during Covid) and it loses to the type r in top end and rolling? Probably loses in track time as well then.
Cant keep up with the golf r that it was created to match in 0-60….
It still should be fun but I’m not paying any adm for sure. Disappointing, and there’s no altitude excuses this time. Tires do make a huge difference though, I can attest to that with the pilot 4s I put on my accord.
If I the dealer asks anything over MSRP, I’ll wait to see if they add Moriso parts or buy something else. Still believe the Toyota experience is my favorite but I’m not paying adm for a performance car that fits into the group. I still believe the msrp on the circuit was 1-2K too high as it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is where I’m at. Having the older type R available to test against, the GRC shouldn’t be losing in any category, especially knowing that the next type r will logically be surpassing the older type r. Embarrassing in my opinion. They had an additional full year to develop this GRC (granted it was during Covid) and it loses to the type r in top end and rolling? Probably loses in track time as well then.
Cant keep up with the golf r that it was created to match in 0-60….
It still should be fun but I’m not paying any adm for sure. Disappointing, and there’s no altitude excuses this time. Tires do make a huge difference though, I can attest to that with the pilot 4s I put on my accord.
If I the dealer asks anything over MSRP, I’ll wait to see if they add Moriso parts or buy something else. Still believe the Toyota experience is my favorite but I’m not paying adm for a performance car that fits into the group. I still believe the msrp on the circuit was 1-2K too high as it is.
I just don't get this obsession over minor differences in straight line speed. If one car was absolutely gapping the other then I can see why that's a concern, but one car slowly pulling away from another just doesn't seem to be an issue to me. Also, the engine is a 3cyl after all, not sure how much more power we want out of it.

In terms of handling, 2WD cars are always going to have the advantage (apart from corner exit) because of weight. On top of that honda has been doing this forever while Toyota is just re-entering the space.

To me, the GRC seems to be exactly where I expect it to be. Slightly less power, decent handling, slightly understeery until alignment and spring rates are adjusted.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
250 Posts
I just don't get this obsession over minor differences in straight line speed. If one car was absolutely gapping the other then I can see why that's a concern, but one car slowly pulling away from another just doesn't seem to be an issue to me. Also, the engine is a 3cyl after all, not sure how much more power we want out of it.

In terms of handling, 2WD cars are always going to have the advantage (apart from corner exit) because of weight. On top of that honda has been doing this forever while Toyota is just re-entering the space.

To me, the GRC seems to be exactly where I expect it to be. Slightly less power, decent handling, slightly understeery until alignment and spring rates are adjusted.
Minor differences until the next type r comes out and destroys it, or you get beaten by a car length by a golf r…….the GRC should be fun to even be considered a contender, but like I said before, this car was supposed to be our “stand-out“ hot hatch….it’s turned out to be more of a “fit-in with the crowd” hot hatch. My argument isn’t that it’s terrible, simply that if the dealer had any chance of getting me to pay an adm, it’s gone now…I don’t believe it’s justifiable in the least.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
472 Posts
Oh mine will be a daily also haha it’s me plus my 4 legged child haha but she will have a backseat vs a passenger seat in my mkv 😂
The more I read the forum, the more I realize there are two crowds. Tuners like us and people that leave their cars factory. I honestly feel Toyota has put out a fantastic starting point for a build. Exciting times.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
364 Posts
Have to be honest here, this forum is full of people that hate on anything that’s not a GRC. None of us have one or driven one yet, yet you’re immediately discounting anything else that might also be good? Why, because the H symbol is the wrong one? The Performance N’s were overseen by the guy who brought many of the car communities favorite BMW M’s.

Love the comments about the Elantra N only winning because of the tires. It has 20+hp less and FWD, but sure that’s the only reason. Can’t give credit where credit is due that it’s keeping up on the track with cars 10k+ over it and have more power.

Seriously, if you’re going to call yourself a true car enthusiast be thankful of another company trying to keep this dying affordable performance car segment alive. If you don’t like the look of the car or the fact that it’s a Hyundai there’s no reason to continuously bash those folks that bought one or looking at it as an alternative, obviously it’s getting hype from reviewers also. The amount of clown emojis I see when anyone mention the N’s is embarrassing.

This is from a Honda and Subaru only owner, stop with the bashing and let’s all enjoy the segment competition while we still can. They all have their pros and cons, the GRC is far from perfect, that said I still want one.
Kinda with you there. Always funny seeing people point out flaws or missing features and others responding with "ok get x car then instead" or wellbye.jpg. It doesn't have to be so black and white! People could have problems with the car and still be all in on one, too. Maybe it's strategic, to encourage others to drop their place in line 😏😅

At the end of the day I'm really happy that all these cars are so competitive with each other. There's something for everyone!

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
472 Posts
Kinda with you there. Always funny seeing people point out flaws or missing features and others responding with "ok get x car then instead" or wellbye.jpg. It doesn't have to be so black and white! People could have problems with the car and still be all in on one, too. Maybe it's strategic, to encourage others to drop their place in line 😏😅

At the end of the day I'm really happy that all these cars are so competitive with each other. There's something for everyone!
Truly we're in a golden age of sports cars. I'm happy that all of them are available. Ten years ago, we could only talk of Camrys and Priuses.

In decades to follow, people will look back on these cars like we do 90's JDM cars now.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
364 Posts
Truly we're in a golden age of sports cars. I'm happy that all of them are available. Ten years ago, we could only talk of Camrys and Priuses.

In decades to follow, people will look back on these cars like we do 90's JDM cars now.
I've heard "swan song" tossed around a lot in various GRC reviews, and I definitely think that's the case here. One last hurrah before everything becomes electrified CUVs lol

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts

The thing is, there are cars that fit certain needs better, but people try to stretch their needs to fit a car if that makes sense.

It’s already known that the GRC has a crazy amount of hype behind it. With first impressions, it gives people a better idea if they really want the car or are they wanting it because it’s the exciting new thing.

Is it a awesome car? Yeah but I have little bias.

I’m just scratching the surface of it all really.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing I noticed watching the Throttle House review is it seemed the Elantra N was bouncing up and down a lot more on the track [edit: inferred by how much the driver was bouncing in the seat]. It was a little hard to compare directly with their other video because it had a lot more direct views of the driver and the first video kept cutting away to outside views, but the Elantra looked like it was stiffer and "pogoing" more. I can't tell if it's a real issue or not from just the video but...

I think Hyundai made a very cool car, and in the USA and Canada the warranty is theoretically very long (I'm sure obsessive documentation is a must if you're going to make a claim years down the road). One thing that I'm not so sold on though is the direct injection only engine. (Though driving it hard will reduce buildup on the intake valves, so there's an excuse ;) )
The Elantra N looked like the driver was bouncing because he was.
I own a 2020 Veloster N and it has adaptive dampers and when you put them in "Sport+" the dampers firm up so much the car and driver just bounces down the road, really unbearable except on very smooth roads/racetracks.
I'm very glad to read that the ride quality of the GRC is quite good, not too firm to rattle your fillings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The thing is, there are cars that fit certain needs better, but people try to stretch their needs to fit a car if that makes sense.
This is true. Most people buy cars for image. There is a billion dollar marketing industry out there selling people on feelings.

Fair weather, I think the CTR will have the advantage. I’m not talking about highway pulls or any other silly type stuff, just overall performance. You want a 4 season car for all weather performance, this is where the GRC and the Golf R live, and the WRX. Then you choose between those 2 and decide hey do I want a more luxury vehicle and German built, or do I want the Japanese vehicle in the segment? Sedan for a lower cost or a Torsen diff equipped hatch?

I’m also bias towards Japanese mfr’s, and made in Japan, to me, means more than anything else. I’ve had a lot of cars, the best ones have been from a Japanese mfr. and Japanese built.

Everything is give and take, I’m taking this and sacrificing that. We should all be thankful we have some choices in this space. Each one of these mfr’s could have mailed it in, not made any of these models, and stuck to cookie cutter CUV’s, Hybrids, EV’s, etc. Akio and Toyota both have a special place to me because of what they are doing at the end. Subaru mailed it in on the STi. Mitsu mailed it in a long time ago with the EVO. Ford certainly isn’t going to bring another Mk Focus RS over here. Everyone has options. WRX, GTI, Golf R, CTR, GRC, Hyundai. If you hate every option and are griping I don’t know what to tell you. Buy a 86 or BRZ. But be happy we have options. ADM worries, find a MSRP only dealer and/or wait this madness out. It’s going to be another 16 months before supply shortages quit being such a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
This is true. Most people buy cars for image. There is a billion dollar marketing industry out there selling people on feelings.

Fair weather, I think the CTR will have the advantage. I’m not talking about highway pulls or any other silly type stuff, just overall performance. You want a 4 season car for all weather performance, this is where the GRC and the Golf R live, and the WRX. Then you choose between those 2 and decide hey do I want a more luxury vehicle and German built, or do I want the Japanese vehicle in the segment? Sedan for a lower cost or a Torsen diff equipped hatch?

I’m also bias towards Japanese mfr’s, and made in Japan, to me, means more than anything else. I’ve had a lot of cars, the best ones have been from a Japanese mfr. and Japanese built.

Everything is give and take, I’m taking this and sacrificing that. We should all be thankful we have some choices in this space. Each one of these mfr’s could have mailed it in, not made any of these models, and stuck to cookie cutter CUV’s, Hybrids, EV’s, etc. Akio and Toyota both have a special place to me because of what they are doing at the end. Subaru mailed it in on the STi. Mitsu mailed it in a long time ago with the EVO. Ford certainly isn’t going to bring another Mk Focus RS over here. Everyone has options. WRX, GTI, Golf R, CTR, GRC, Hyundai. If you hate every option and are griping I don’t know what to tell you. Buy a 86 or BRZ. But be happy we have options. ADM worries, find a MSRP only dealer and/or wait this madness out. It’s going to be another 16 months before supply shortages quit being such a big deal.
Yup spot on. Especially about give and take. I’m not the type of person to say “well bye” if the GRC doesn’t suit your needs, but I try to offer a solution to whatever while still being realistic.

You have a lot of people always trying to explain themselves and why they’re trying to buy the car. We get it, you got caught up in the internet buzz, just enjoy the car, you don't have to explain yourself to us. It looks sorry and makes you stick out like a sore thumb. 😂

There’s also the people who already have a AWD car, and try to justify buying a similar experience. (STI, Golf R, EVO, RS) Thats okay, those are also collector cars too.

It might be a weird time in the automotive universe, but we definitely have some options.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts