Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
316 Posts
If you don't have any chance to get a GR Corolla, will the i30N gets your heart?
Sadly the GR Corolla is pretty much dead in my mind.

Waiting for the pricing but I suspect it will be up to NZD$10,000 more expensive than the i30N hatchback. I can just walk into Hyundai tomorrow and get my colour choice and its 3 to 4 months delivery. Because it came out years ago now it will have had all the bugs sorted as well with the Series II.

Honestly that E-Diff in the front makes all the difference and I could list all the things that make it better than the GR but its a much shorter list to just say where the GR is better then the i30N and that's AWD and that's pretty much it.

I had really high expectations for the GR but it doesn't deliver. For that price it should have been an all new platform, 2litre 4 cylinder with 350Hp.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Waiting for the pricing but I suspect it will be up to NZD$10,000 more expensive than the i30N hatchback. I can just walk into Hyundai tomorrow and get my colour choice and its 3 to 4 months delivery. Because it came out years ago now it will have had all the bugs sorted as well with the Series II.

Honestly that E-Diff in the front makes all the difference and I could list all the things that make it better than the GR but its a much shorter list to just say where the GR is better then the i30N and that's AWD and that's pretty much it.

I had really high expectations for the GR but it doesn't deliver. For that price it should have been an all new platform, 2litre 4 cylinder with 350Hp.
Today I took out my Veloster N which is quite similar to the i30N today in the rain, and it is not a good wet weather/snow car.
If I floor the accelerator I get horrible wheel hop, and I spin the front wheels in the first 3 gears.
Plus aggressive cornering results in very bad understeer.
This is why I'm looking forward to the GRC with awd.
Should nullify all the bad habits of my Veloster N.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Veloster N a lot, better than my Focus RS, VW GTI, Fiesta ST and even more than the Type-R I test drove.
It's a very engaging car.
I think you will really like the i30N, just not so much in the wet.
Another Hyundai I would like to test drive is the i20N, looks like an awesome pocket rocket.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think the i30N will suit my driving style I never floor the throttle or dump the clutch, I use it progressively even when I only had 225Hp in the MR2.

Not interested in drag racing, got a bike for 0-60 times in under 3 seconds if I wanted in 1st gear.

I guess the handling is all relative, try 15inch wheels with Toyo R888 semi-slicks in the wet you just have to adjust your speed.

What I want is an extremely engaging car to drive. The pleasure comes from the way it feels and the i30N felt good.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
360 Posts
I think the i30N will suit my driving style I never floor the throttle, I use it progressively even when I only had 225Hp in the MR2.

I guess the handling is all relative, try 15inch wheels with R888 semi-slicks in the wet you just have to adjust your speed.
225 is a lot for the MR2 considering how much it weighed!

·
Registered
65 Posts

I remember you were quite high on the GR before, curious to know what it is about the release that's changed your mind?

For me it's the recently released GR86 pricing at 56k NZD, when I expected it to be in the high 40s. I'm pretty sure the GRC is a significantly higher calibre car, which means it will probably be mid to high 60s at least. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With regards to the i30N, I'm wondering why nobody is mentioning reliability concerns? Here in NZ, the mechanical warranty is a paltry 3 years.

If I were to buy one, it would probably be with the DCT as reviewers seem to agree the manual is pretty subpar, but it's very unproven in terms of reliability and I'm aware the old DCT was notorious for blowing up.

However the front end just looks so good, and I can verify the exhaust sound is absolute chef's kiss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own an Elantra N (DCT) and was pretty set on the GR Corolla until the reviews started coming out. Now my feelings are more mixed! I think if I can get a Core fully optioned at MSRP I’ll take it — otherwise I might wait a few years to see if any of the Morizo stuff makes it into a model with 5 seats.

The pros of the GRC to me are the manual transmission, AWD, hatchback body style, and adaptive cruise.

So far the EN seems more fun to drive (can confirm), has way more interior space, more special seats (vs. GRC Core), longer warranty, and minimum 5K cheaper (I didn’t pay a markup).

I think the one thing I have decided from all of the GRC reviews is I am 100% not paying a markup for one. If later model years can add some of the Morizo stuff and have no markup, that might be the best route. But if I find a loaded Core at MSRP, it’ll be a tough choice!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I remember you were quite high on the GR before, curious to know what it is about the release that's changed your mind?

For me it's the recently released GR86 pricing at 56k NZD, when I expected it to be in the high 40s. I'm pretty sure the GRC is a significantly higher calibre car, which means it will probably be mid to high 60s at least. I hope I'm wrong.
Fully expecting the GR Corolla to be in the 70k NZD plus territory in New Zealand and it could be a 12 month wait so what's the point ?

That price level is running into Golf R territory and I'm sorry the GR just doesn't have the pedigree.

Still waiting for the NZ Spec and the NZ pricing before making a final decision but pretty sure the price will kill it for me. The spec will be critical because I simply cannot see a market as small as ours getting all 3 models let alone multiple options within the models. I anticipate us getting ONE and ONE only car as a take it or leave it option and that will probably be a core spec.

The entry level core is truly a poverty spec car in comparison to the i30N because we get the very top spec i30N in New Zealand, its basically a Euro spec car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have to be honest here, this forum is full of people that hate on anything that’s not a GRC. None of us have one or driven one yet, yet you’re immediately discounting anything else that might also be good? Why, because the H symbol is the wrong one? The Performance N’s were overseen by the guy who brought many of the car communities favorite BMW M’s.

Love the comments about the Elantra N only winning because of the tires. It has 20+hp less and FWD, but sure that’s the only reason. Can’t give credit where credit is due that it’s keeping up on the track with cars 10k+ over it and have more power.

Seriously, if you’re going to call yourself a true car enthusiast be thankful of another company trying to keep this dying affordable performance car segment alive. If you don’t like the look of the car or the fact that it’s a Hyundai there’s no reason to continuously bash those folks that bought one or looking at it as an alternative, obviously it’s getting hype from reviewers also. The amount of clown emojis I see when anyone mention the N’s is embarrassing.

This is from a Honda and Subaru only owner, stop with the bashing and let’s all enjoy the segment competition while we still can. They all have their pros and cons, the GRC is far from perfect, that said I still want one.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
Have to be honest here, this forum is full of people that hate on anything that’s not a GRC. None of us have one or driven one yet, yet you’re immediately discounting anything else that might also be good? Why, because the H symbol is the wrong one? The Performance N’s were overseen by the guy who brought many of the car communities favorite BMW M’s.

Love the comments about the Elantra N only winning because of the tires. It has 20+hp less and FWD, but sure that’s the only reason. Can’t give credit where credit is due that it’s keeping up on the track with cars 10k+ over it and have more power.

Seriously, if you’re going to call yourself a true car enthusiast be thankful of another company trying to keep this dying affordable performance car segment alive. If you don’t like the look of the car or the fact that it’s a Hyundai there’s no reason to continuously bash those folks that bought one or looking at it as an alternative, obviously it’s getting hype from reviewers also. The amount of clown emojis I see when anyone mention the N’s is embarrassing.

This is from a Honda and Subaru only owner, stop with the bashing and let’s all enjoy the segment competition while we still can. They all have their pros and cons, the GRC is far from perfect, that said I still want one.
People all over this forums sing the praises of the N models and plenty of other cars.

Are we all biased and probably extremely excited for this car? Sure. We don't crap on everything that isn't a GRC though. Hell, I'm a mod and I'm still considering a used Corvette or a new Elantra N over a GRC.

Since you're fairly new, I assume what you're seeing is Tronics stuff and responses to it. Tronic used to (and he'll admit it) sit around these forums bashing "wrong wheel drive" cars. One day he posts that he went and test drive an i30N and was a huge fan. People have been giving him shit since. He did a complete 180 on his views.

I for one, am glad we have one less "wrong wheel drive"-er in the world. But when you talk a bunch of shit, then 180 on yourself, you have to expect people to call you out on it.

·
Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
130 Posts
One thing I noticed watching the Throttle House review is it seemed the Elantra N was bouncing up and down a lot more on the track [edit: inferred by how much the driver was bouncing in the seat]. It was a little hard to compare directly with their other video because it had a lot more direct views of the driver and the first video kept cutting away to outside views, but the Elantra looked like it was stiffer and "pogoing" more. I can't tell if it's a real issue or not from just the video but...

I think Hyundai made a very cool car, and in the USA and Canada the warranty is theoretically very long (I'm sure obsessive documentation is a must if you're going to make a claim years down the road). One thing that I'm not so sold on though is the direct injection only engine. (Though driving it hard will reduce buildup on the intake valves, so there's an excuse ;) )

·
Banned
1,185 Posts

You still here? You must be a glutton for punishment... Hyundai is calling and they want their shitbox back because you haven't returned it from your test drive yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
People all over this forums sing the praises of the N models and plenty of other cars.

Are we all biased and probably extremely excited for this car? Sure. We don't crap on everything that isn't a GRC though. Hell, I'm a mod and I'm still considering a used Corvette or a new Elantra N over a GRC.

Since you're fairly new, I assume what you're seeing is Tronics stuff and responses to it. Tronic used to (and he'll admit it) sit around these forums bashing "wrong wheel drive" cars. One day he posts that he went and test drive an i30N and was a huge fan. People have been giving him shit since. He did a complete 180 on his views.

I for one, am glad we have one less "wrong wheel drive"-er in the world. But when you talk a bunch of shit, then 180 on yourself, you have to expect people to call you out on it.
Ah, maybe that’s what I keep seeing. I’m new to sign up but have been lurking for a while. I keep getting the email updates and see the bashing responses to the posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love the Hyundai N stuff and am a big fan of the newcomer vibe they’ve brought into this segment that has surprised all the honda and suby hardos. I just need AWD for Michigan winters and can’t part with my love of the Toyota reliability factor.
The Toyota name is honestly why I can't bring myself to buying any of the N products. I just have so much trust in Toyota products and their reliability (thanks Scotty Kilmer) that I am just too afraid to get anything else.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts