Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
Very interesting race. Comments are shocked about the Elantra N. Lol

On another note: look at people moving goal posts for the GRC. They say The GRC is faster then the Golf R because it beat it’s track time, but when the Elantra N beat it’s track time, they say the GRC is better because of its faster time in the drag race. 😂

On top of that they were saying the Type R probably would post a better lap time then originally.

All it means is they all compete with eachother pretty well and each of them have their own pros and cons.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
Kinda with you there. Always funny seeing people point out flaws or missing features and others responding with "ok get x car then instead" or wellbye.jpg. It doesn't have to be so black and white! People could have problems with the car and still be all in on one, too. Maybe it's strategic, to encourage others to drop their place in line 😏😅

At the end of the day I'm really happy that all these cars are so competitive with each other. There's something for everyone!
The thing is, there are cars that fit certain needs better, but people try to stretch their needs to fit a car if that makes sense.

It’s already known that the GRC has a crazy amount of hype behind it. With first impressions, it gives people a better idea if they really want the car or are they wanting it because it’s the exciting new thing.

Is it a awesome car? Yeah but I have little bias.

I’m just scratching the surface of it all really.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
This is true. Most people buy cars for image. There is a billion dollar marketing industry out there selling people on feelings.

Fair weather, I think the CTR will have the advantage. I’m not talking about highway pulls or any other silly type stuff, just overall performance. You want a 4 season car for all weather performance, this is where the GRC and the Golf R live, and the WRX. Then you choose between those 2 and decide hey do I want a more luxury vehicle and German built, or do I want the Japanese vehicle in the segment? Sedan for a lower cost or a Torsen diff equipped hatch?

I’m also bias towards Japanese mfr’s, and made in Japan, to me, means more than anything else. I’ve had a lot of cars, the best ones have been from a Japanese mfr. and Japanese built.

Everything is give and take, I’m taking this and sacrificing that. We should all be thankful we have some choices in this space. Each one of these mfr’s could have mailed it in, not made any of these models, and stuck to cookie cutter CUV’s, Hybrids, EV’s, etc. Akio and Toyota both have a special place to me because of what they are doing at the end. Subaru mailed it in on the STi. Mitsu mailed it in a long time ago with the EVO. Ford certainly isn’t going to bring another Mk Focus RS over here. Everyone has options. WRX, GTI, Golf R, CTR, GRC, Hyundai. If you hate every option and are griping I don’t know what to tell you. Buy a 86 or BRZ. But be happy we have options. ADM worries, find a MSRP only dealer and/or wait this madness out. It’s going to be another 16 months before supply shortages quit being such a big deal.
Yup spot on. Especially about give and take. I’m not the type of person to say “well bye” if the GRC doesn’t suit your needs, but I try to offer a solution to whatever while still being realistic.

You have a lot of people always trying to explain themselves and why they’re trying to buy the car. We get it, you got caught up in the internet buzz, just enjoy the car, you don't have to explain yourself to us. It looks sorry and makes you stick out like a sore thumb. 😂

There’s also the people who already have a AWD car, and try to justify buying a similar experience. (STI, Golf R, EVO, RS) Thats okay, those are also collector cars too.

It might be a weird time in the automotive universe, but we definitely have some options.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I'm not. The GRC beat the Golf R fair and square and the Elantra N beat the GRC fair and square. I think people have been underselling Hyundai (yes even on this forum) for a long time. They may not look great and the interiors can be hit and miss but the N division brings track tested cars to the street. They didn't hire the head of the BMW M division for nothing.
Look at the comments and everyone was trying to move goal posts. 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I will push back (a little) on this in that the GRC is maybe? probably? the more flexible of the three cars tested in this video, in that it can handle rough weather, carry people/things with a comfortable ride quality, and post competitive track times to boot. I think the 'all in one' appeal of the GRC is appealing to a lot of folks, too, which is why so many people can (try to) justify it.
Yeah I get that point

I don’t necessarily know how to word it but it seems more like they want to like the car, but they know it’s not really something they want.

For example, characteristics a car has.

They want it to perform like some other car. They can still buy that car but instead they want the GRC to really be something else.

I want a Focus RS experience. I’m disappointed that the GRC is different and nothing like it.

Okay then find a Focus RS

but I like the GRC…

but you just said it doesn’t perform or have similar features to the Focus… so what exactly do you like?

That’s what I’m seeing, just a big rabbit hole.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I owned a 07 Acura TL Type S modded it and was great except for third gear and torque steer that’s when I went to a evo. Wish I had bought the one I wanted because I got the evo se that had the dual clutch because wife can’t drive manual. I had that car for seven years was reliable and great with fbo and tune. Unlike stories I’ve heard about sti’s not being very reliable once modded to a certain point. Anyhow decided to sell the evo and have regretted it ever since. It was such a all around car except for the tiny trunk but the driving experience is something I miss. While it’s very difficult to find evo’s unmolested or at decent price the GRC seems to be a spiritual successor to the evo. So point is if you have a car you love to drive keep it and drive it. If it’s fwd rwd or awd it doesn’t matter because it’s ultimately up to you the driver. For me awd cars like the evo could be drove at 10/10ths no matter the day or road and were so forgiving for not hitting the perfect apex or braking zone it is just pure fun.
I see what you mean.

On another note, the EVO and WRX had this mythical status behind them for the longest in Japan, similar to the GTR. They had this concrete/clear history as well. When they finally came stateside, they succeeded the hype and made the whole rally inspired thing successful for a long time. Their personalities were one of a kind arguably. So I wouldn't say it's the EVO's spiritual successor. (That and it’s always weird calling one manufacturers car, another’s successor.)

GRC is in this weird spot where the marketing rides of the hype of the GR Yaris (The homologated rally car), while the engineer and first drives kind of contradict all that. A lot of people for example don't know the Corolla's sports/motorsport lineage either, but this car will be a legend based off the time it's releasing. It's very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I feel like people are once again falling for the typical kia/hyundai marketing. It's just like how they sell their cars, they make people think "more features, more stylish, and cheaper than the equivalent Toyota/honda, it's a no brainer!" A lot of people fall for this, but some were aware that the asterisk was reliability. Now that they offer a good warranty, people seem to think all the issues are solved.

I'm not here to argue that having such a warranty isn't nice, because it is. What I will say is that kia/hyundai know what they are doing - offering the warranty is simply a cheaper solution than making their cars reliable, not because "they have confidence in their products"

Also I wonder what people think is going to happen once that 10 year marks starts looming on the horizon, at around 7-8 years. It's going to be hard to find someone willing to take it off your hands, the value is going to fall off a cliff. The exception is if you plan on selling it within 3-4 years, and even then you'd need to find yourself an exceptionally shortsighted buyer because they are going to be screwed in a few short years.

Of course the caveat to everything I just said is if kia/hyundai miraculously become reliable all of a sudden. I certainly wouldn't bet $35k on that happening though.
I mean it wouldn’t be miraculous if they became Toyota like reliable, I’ve seen 100k mile Kia’s still running well without rattles and things.

The concept of reliability is a funny one though. There are companies I would consider less reliable then Hyundai by far, some are brands that people swear by. 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
Um realistically speaking, it would be pretty miraculous. Toyota and honda are right at the top, kia and hyundai are at the bottom. What makes it possible is the fact that they have the money to do it, but what makes it less possible is that their business model works well as it is.

Also I know this is going to sound rude, but saying you've seen examples around with 100k miles means about as much as saying you've seen 90 year old lifelong smokers still walking around.
Again there's a lot of other companies, I didn't say they're as reliable as a Toyota or Honda, but I'm saying reliability wise they're better than other companies that people swear by.

That doesn't sound rude at all, its sounds like a dude who thinks he has all the answers. lmao. I work on cars for a living, though I favor Toyotas, from experience Hyundai's aren't as bad as other cars. Not saying they're the best but people have their bias.

It's pretty known that early Hyundai's were throwaway, but whenever you bring up history like some of those cars being just rebadged Mitsubishi vehicles, everyone gets salty. 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
All I can say is in a court of law what you just wrote would all be considered hearsay, not evidence at all.
Unless you have personal experience with something you're just spreading gossip and rumors.
It's like me saying you know what, I really don't like sushi, I've never tried sushi but I know I wouldn't like it, kind of silly.
I bought an Acura NSX which is a Honda and had problem after problem after problem and so I ending up selling it, before something major broke, there's no guarantees with Toyota or Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter.
Thats unfortunate. I would've been pretty damn mad 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I mean the mechanics I talked to also work on cars for a living, so that's weird but then again, I essentially listen to doctors opinions for a living and there are so many differing opinions so I guess this is just something that happens.
Yeah I get that for sure. Everyone has different experiences and like I said earlier, some can be prone to bias.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
They want the handling of the Focus RS without the shitness in quality and gimmicks that you'll get with a Ford, simple as that lol.
That would make sense if the they didn’t go into the rabbit hole of not liking the way the Corolla drives and so on. Basically I’m saying in a nice way that they’re bull shitting and have an excuse for everything/contradict themselves.

Hence why I gave the example: “I want a Focus RS experience. I’m disappointed that the GRC is different and nothing like it.”

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
I've been pretty suspicious about Hyundai's ability to constantly pump out new products in such a short time span while still being able to price them below the MSRP of most of their competitors, like surely something will be sacrificed to achieve that. Now I wonder if all those newer generation of Chinese cars that seem to have unusually good specs on paper are also like that, seeing how they are basically using the same strategy as Hyundai to sell their vehicles.

One thing is for sure, there's no free lunch in the world of cars, if something feels too good to be true, it's most likely going to be the case.
Hyundai will probably hit their stride whenever they go full EV. Most of what they do lends themselves to that kind of space.

Normal people see Tesla as the standard for EVs which is not that hard to surpass if they figure out the charging network.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
That’s a nieve statement about Tesla. Much more to Tesla that it’s charging network. They are way ahead on branding, AI and batteries, over the air software updates. They have a big head start on the competition.
It’s not naive at all, without getting too much into it, Hyundai has the money to make a splash in that field. Before you reply with a emotional “I love Tesla how could you”comment, I’m not bashing them. I’m saying the standard they set is a easy one to follow and pass.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
That's pretty naive to believe. As many of the automobile manufacturers are using the open source Tesla developed tech in their own EV's. Never mind that electric motor tech is pretty much optimized and that's not where the innovation and money is in, it's exactly where Tesla is investing in now. New battery chemistry and the ability to produce it. Lithium and cobalt aren't available in sufficient quantity for the world to go EV. In addition to be leading as a car tech company as you simply can't deny the amount of tech they place into their vehicles relative to the long standing manufacturers and how they're generations ahead in simply software even with all the stupid garbage they do behind the scenes.
Alright for every person who hates them, another loves them. Let’s get back on topic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.