Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
When they're revving the engines (at 1:50) and comparing exhaust notes, there is absolutely no comparison between the three cars, the Elantra N wins hands down, sounds amazing for a 4 cylinder, even a little better than the Veloster N.
I wish Toyota would have taking a page out of Hyundai's Playbook and put a nice active exhaust on the GR Corolla.
I mean just look at the GRC styling it's very aggressive, WRC rally car aggressive, and it deserves an aggressive exhaust in my opinion.
I'd easily pay $500 more for an actuve exhaust.
What a shame.
P.S. plus did anyone notice those sweet Elantra seats so nice compared to the core GRC Editions cloth ones
Toyota what are you thinking, econobox cloth seats in a $50,000 CDN car.
Unfortunately the Elantra N is such a butt ugly car, that's the real thing holding people back from buying it.
Now if Hyundai would bring the i30n to Canada that's a completely different ball game.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sadly the GR Corolla is pretty much dead in my mind.

Waiting for the pricing but I suspect it will be up to NZD$10,000 more expensive than the i30N hatchback. I can just walk into Hyundai tomorrow and get my colour choice and its 3 to 4 months delivery. Because it came out years ago now it will have had all the bugs sorted as well with the Series II.

Honestly that E-Diff in the front makes all the difference and I could list all the things that make it better than the GR but its a much shorter list to just say where the GR is better then the i30N and that's AWD and that's pretty much it.

I had really high expectations for the GR but it doesn't deliver. For that price it should have been an all new platform, 2litre 4 cylinder with 350Hp.
Today I took out my Veloster N which is quite similar to the i30N today in the rain, and it is not a good wet weather/snow car.
If I floor the accelerator I get horrible wheel hop, and I spin the front wheels in the first 3 gears.
Plus aggressive cornering results in very bad understeer.
This is why I'm looking forward to the GRC with awd.
Should nullify all the bad habits of my Veloster N.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Veloster N a lot, better than my Focus RS, VW GTI, Fiesta ST and even more than the Type-R I test drove.
It's a very engaging car.
I think you will really like the i30N, just not so much in the wet.
Another Hyundai I would like to test drive is the i20N, looks like an awesome pocket rocket.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
One thing I noticed watching the Throttle House review is it seemed the Elantra N was bouncing up and down a lot more on the track [edit: inferred by how much the driver was bouncing in the seat]. It was a little hard to compare directly with their other video because it had a lot more direct views of the driver and the first video kept cutting away to outside views, but the Elantra looked like it was stiffer and "pogoing" more. I can't tell if it's a real issue or not from just the video but...

I think Hyundai made a very cool car, and in the USA and Canada the warranty is theoretically very long (I'm sure obsessive documentation is a must if you're going to make a claim years down the road). One thing that I'm not so sold on though is the direct injection only engine. (Though driving it hard will reduce buildup on the intake valves, so there's an excuse ;) )
The Elantra N looked like the driver was bouncing because he was.
I own a 2020 Veloster N and it has adaptive dampers and when you put them in "Sport+" the dampers firm up so much the car and driver just bounces down the road, really unbearable except on very smooth roads/racetracks.
I'm very glad to read that the ride quality of the GRC is quite good, not too firm to rattle your fillings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree. Cars should be compared 100% stock, and that's including the tires.
The thing is, A LOT of people cried over tires when the Veloster N first came out and went head to head against the FK8. All the Youtube reviews were filled with those comments.

Honestly i30N is and always will be the best N vehicle. I have no clue why they're not selling it here in north America. Looks better, similar performance, and more practical too.
Maybe Hyundai stopped selling the Veloster N recently, so it could bring the i30N to North America. 🤞

·
Registered
150 Posts
Care to elaborate on common issues they have? If I get screwed by GRC allocations I'm probably going to get an Elantra N.
My friend, I wouldn't worry about buying a Hyundai N car.
You guys in the states get a 10 year 100/000 mile or 160,000 kms powertrain warranty, so no worries.
Incredible warranty.
If they are willing to give that great a warranty, they must have great confidence in their products.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I mean it wouldn’t be miraculous if they became Toyota like reliable, I’ve seen 100k mile Kia’s still running well without rattles and things.

The concept of reliability is a funny one though. There are companies I would consider less reliable then Hyundai by far, some are brands that people swear by. 😂
Just a heads up, "Mini's" are truly one of the most unreliable brands out there.
Shame because stylistically they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Um realistically speaking, it would be pretty miraculous. Toyota and honda are right at the top, kia and hyundai are at the bottom. What makes it possible is the fact that they have the money to do it, but what makes it less possible is that their business model works well as it is.

Also I know this is going to sound rude, but saying you've seen examples around with 100k miles means about as much as saying you've seen 90 year old lifelong smokers still walking around.
For you to make that kind of judgment, just curious how many Hyundai cars have you owned personally?

·
Registered
150 Posts
None, and I'm not about to find out the hard way just so I can say I've had personal experience (even then, it wouldn't mean anything anyway). However from talking to mechanics and friends in general, this is the overwhelming consensus, and this is corroborated by most of the internet. And while you might say something like "well that's not scientific data", the data we have on this is questionable and scarce, and I'd rather not bet against everything I've heard just because it doesn't qualify as proof.
All I can say is in a court of law what you just wrote would all be considered hearsay, not evidence at all.
Unless you have personal experience with something you're just spreading gossip and rumors.
It's like me saying you know what, I really don't like sushi, I've never tried sushi but I know I wouldn't like it, kind of silly.
I bought an Acura NSX which is a Honda and had problem after problem after problem and so I ending up selling it, before something major broke, there's no guarantees with Toyota or Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think you are doing Hyundai a disservice. I was also sceptical but the ratings speak for themselves..

"Canstar’s 2020 results gave four manufacturers top honours, with Subaru, Mazda, Hyuindai and Suzuki receiving a joint first-place finish. This was followed by Mercedes-Benz, Kia, Mitsubishi and Toyota rounding-out the top five".

1. Subaru, Mazda, Hyundai and Suzuki (Five stars)
  2. Mercedes-Benz (Four stars)
  3. Kia (Four stars)
  4. Mitsubishi (Four stars)
  5. Toyota (Four stars)
  6. Audi (Four stars)
  7. Nissan (Four stars)
  8. Honda (Four stars)
  9. Holden (Four stars)
  10. BMW (Four stars)
  11. Volkswagen (Three stars)
  12. Ford (Three stars)
Data sourced from CANSTAR’s 2020 New Car Reliability Survey

And from 2021...

"Most Reliable Car Brands
Our latest survey of more than 2,300 Aussie motorists who have bought a new car in the last three years saw brands ranked in the following order for reliability:

1. Isuzu UTE
  2. Mazda
  3. Mercedes
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Kia
  6. Subaru
  7. Hyundai
  8. Toyota
  9. Suzuki
  10. Volkswagen
  11. Honda
  12. Nissan
  13. Ford
  14. BMW

And also this article from the UK...

1. Audi
Well well well, isn't that interesting.
I rest my case.😉

·
Registered
150 Posts
“Easy one to follow and pass” I beg to differ. FYI I don’t own a Tesla but have followed them with great interest as I purchased their stock eight years ago. The company has been a major success story, one that likely won’t be repeated anytime soon in automotive history.
Now with all the other automobile manufacturers atound the world working hard on ev's, there really is only one way for Tesla to go.....down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.