Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just like most tests, unless same tires on everything, meh.

Straight line tests, more meh. If that was important I wouldn’t buy any of these. I’d buy high HP RWD.

The all new CTR will even be faster and I’m happy about that. As soon as those reviews come, a lot of people will leave then run and chase a CTR which will alleviate GRC demand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The thing is, there are cars that fit certain needs better, but people try to stretch their needs to fit a car if that makes sense.
This is true. Most people buy cars for image. There is a billion dollar marketing industry out there selling people on feelings.

Fair weather, I think the CTR will have the advantage. I’m not talking about highway pulls or any other silly type stuff, just overall performance. You want a 4 season car for all weather performance, this is where the GRC and the Golf R live, and the WRX. Then you choose between those 2 and decide hey do I want a more luxury vehicle and German built, or do I want the Japanese vehicle in the segment? Sedan for a lower cost or a Torsen diff equipped hatch?

I’m also bias towards Japanese mfr’s, and made in Japan, to me, means more than anything else. I’ve had a lot of cars, the best ones have been from a Japanese mfr. and Japanese built.

Everything is give and take, I’m taking this and sacrificing that. We should all be thankful we have some choices in this space. Each one of these mfr’s could have mailed it in, not made any of these models, and stuck to cookie cutter CUV’s, Hybrids, EV’s, etc. Akio and Toyota both have a special place to me because of what they are doing at the end. Subaru mailed it in on the STi. Mitsu mailed it in a long time ago with the EVO. Ford certainly isn’t going to bring another Mk Focus RS over here. Everyone has options. WRX, GTI, Golf R, CTR, GRC, Hyundai. If you hate every option and are griping I don’t know what to tell you. Buy a 86 or BRZ. But be happy we have options. ADM worries, find a MSRP only dealer and/or wait this madness out. It’s going to be another 16 months before supply shortages quit being such a big deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup spot on. Especially about give and take. I’m not the type of person to say “well bye” if the GRC doesn’t suit your needs, but I try to offer a solution to whatever while still being realistic.

You have a lot of people always trying to explain themselves and why they’re trying to buy the car. We get it, you got caught up in the internet buzz, just enjoy the car, you don't have to explain yourself to us. It looks sorry and makes you stick out like a sore thumb. 😂

There’s also the people who already have a AWD car, and try to justify buying a similar experience. (STI, Golf R, EVO, RS) Thats okay, those are also collector cars too.

It might be a weird time in the automotive universe, but we definitely have some options.
Agreed.

As it pertains to the GRC, I think some/many wanted some world beater for IG bragging rights or something. “I got the GRC and it’s the best thing out there bro!!!!” I don’t understand this either. Bragging rights mean absolutely nothing in reality. One, nobody races for money around a road course so the competition thing, comparisons, etc, are pure fodder IMO. If you’re that good, you probably aren’t on this forum because you’ve got a contract, and sponsors. So at the end of the day people want to buy any of these cars for verbal or written flexing? I don’t get it. You buy a car for driving dynamics. It’s a tool. What are you going to do with it? If you wanna flex go buy a Charger Scat pack or Hellcat or something.

What gets me about these comparisons is well you have to see through the BS. One, are they pushing the cars to 10/10ths? Most of time, no, not unless you are Randy Pobst. And the biggest thing to me, is they don’t test these cars against each other in all weather conditions. They don’t do it because of cost but more importantly, the FWD entries will not shine, and the GRC, Golf R, and even the WRX will embarrass them once you factor in heavy downpours, snow, and pretty cold weather where you need every mm of traction you can get. Reviewers will only go so far because they are in this to make their own money and busting X’s chops in Y weather could mean the PR person in charge of PR cars gets upset and cuts them off. So these comparisons are made for entertainment. Which one for you should be based on reading/watching reviews, driving one (I realize with the GRC this is nigh on impossible) in normal supply times, and making your own decision. Spending 40k on flexing or based on someone else’s opinion is something I have never done and never will. This class of car has always been two things. The first, the stock performance. The second, what the platform is capable of once modded.

Plenty of options for your particular needs. The GRC loaded core is 39.3k MSRP. That’s right in line with the STi, not much more than I paid for my RS in 2017. So the price is competitive. The drivetrain is solid, and competes. The engine does as well, as does the chassis. If you want AWD, and think the GRC is overpriced, by all means go buy a WRX. It will do many things the GRC will do at a lower price point. Pure straight line acceleration, Golf R, CTR. AWD not necessary, Hyundai, GTI, Civic Si if you don’t want to pay for a CTR. I mean many of this having been doing this a long time. This is a great time for enthusiasts. You’ve got more choices today than in years past and many of them are priced competitively as it relates to the current market. So quit complaining.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.