Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah I get that point

I don’t necessarily know how to word it but it seems more like they want to like the car, but they know it’s not really something they want.

For example, characteristics a car has.

They want it to perform like some other car. They can still buy that car but instead they want the GRC to really be something else.

I want a Focus RS experience. I’m disappointed that the GRC is different and nothing like it.

Okay then find a Focus RS

but I like the GRC…

but you just said it doesn’t perform or have similar features to the Focus… so what exactly do you like?

That’s what I’m seeing, just a big rabbit hole.
They want the handling of the Focus RS without the shitness in quality and gimmicks that you'll get with a Ford, simple as that lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That would make sense if the they didn’t go into the rabbit hole of not liking the way the Corolla drives and so on. Basically I’m saying in a nice way that they’re bull shitting and have an excuse for everything/contradict themselves.

Hence why I gave the example: “I want a Focus RS experience. I’m disappointed that the GRC is different and nothing like it.”
Just ignore their opinions 🤣, people like that aren't worth our time, plus it's not like the GRC doesn't handle well and is underperforming, IMO the VW Golf R and Nissan Z getting stomped by cheaper and less powerful cars are the real disappointments here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was there in 2011 when Santa Fe transmissions started eating themselves. It wasn't just the failures but the way Hyundai instructed the dealer to handle them. They knew the transmissions were flawed but the dealer had to go through three steps when a customer brought one in:
1. Perform a software update that didn't do anything and hope the customer didn't come back
2. Another useless software update
3. Replace the transmission. Of course, the replacement was a rebuild of another faulty transmission that got sent back to Korea. So they just kept recycling the same shitty transmissions

Warranty claims were always adversarial. Hyundai wanted to blame every claim on owner driving habits rather than pay out. If your maintenance records weren't absolutely spotless they would decline coverage.

I worked there during the fuel efficiency scandal too. The new elantras were claimed to get 40mpg but got nowhere near that in real life driving. The dealer had to deny deny deny. It was always the customers fault. Finally they got caught cheating and had to reimburse people. The low friction coating on the piston skirts would wear off after about 1000km.

I have a bunch more stories. I worked there 4 years. Would not own one. They were actually better cars 20 years ago when they used Mitsubishi motors and ZF transmissions. It was more profitable to reverse engineer them and make their own version, and quality went to shit after that. Their early dcts were absolute trash.

A good friend of mine had a Genesis sedan that was a total lemon. In the dealer every few weeks, always an excuse, never got it to work right. He let it slide thinking it was a one off, got another one. Glutton for punishment I guess. Got rid of it after a year. Chronic electronic issues.

Another friend had an early Sonata Hybrid which was a total disaster. Hyundai would make token gestures to repair it but it never worked right. They have no problem putting new untested technology into production and selling people a boomerang that returns to the dealer every few weeks. Contrast Toyota who will torture test every little component for 10 years before they'll consider it. Their standards for parts suppliers are impossibly high.

Other friends of mine bought a new Palisade. It started dying randomly on them, sometimes on the highway. They had to take get a lawyer and threaten to sue before Hyundai finally bought it back.

When I worked there Hyundai didn't offer their own leases because the residual values were too low for a lease to make sense. We had to use a third party.

Contrast that to my time at Toyota, where we were replacing entire frames on 15 year old trucks, and where Toyota would send engineers from Japan to investigate a serious issue. Not in the same league at all.
I've been pretty suspicious about Hyundai's ability to constantly pump out new products in such a short time span while still being able to price them below the MSRP of most of their competitors, like surely something will be sacrificed to achieve that. Now I wonder if all those newer generation of Chinese cars that seem to have unusually good specs on paper are also like that, seeing how they are basically using the same strategy as Hyundai to sell their vehicles.

One thing is for sure, there's no free lunch in the world of cars, if something feels too good to be true, it's most likely going to be the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.