Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
323 Posts
Not much difference in the tires guys sorry. The P4S is better in the dry and worse in the wet than the P4.The age and condition of the tire would make the main difference.

Basically not interested in drag racing and the obsession with YouTubers and drags has stuffed manufacturers making manual cars. If you wanted the i30N to beat the the GR then there is the 8 speed DCT to shave off a whole second in the 0-60.

Pretty poor excuse about the Honda, I would have loved to see a proper independent time which everyone seems to avoid. I find it very suspicious that it did not happen here, how long does it take to put a new set of pads in.

You guys must be pissed you do not get the Hyundai i30N Hatchback and ours come with 19inch forged alloys and Pirelli P-Zero tires. Cost wise its a no contest, the GR has AWD but is worse in just about everything else you look at spec wise.

To add insult to injury we also get the Hyundai i30N fastback with a rear thats a bit more Supra looking. The Elantra is plain ugly.

I have driven the i30N and the exhaust sound is the best in its class, no contest.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you don't have any chance to get a GR Corolla, will the i30N gets your heart?
Sadly the GR Corolla is pretty much dead in my mind.

Waiting for the pricing but I suspect it will be up to NZD$10,000 more expensive than the i30N hatchback. I can just walk into Hyundai tomorrow and get my colour choice and its 3 to 4 months delivery. Because it came out years ago now it will have had all the bugs sorted as well with the Series II.

Honestly that E-Diff in the front makes all the difference and I could list all the things that make it better than the GR but its a much shorter list to just say where the GR is better then the i30N and that's AWD and that's pretty much it.

I had really high expectations for the GR but it doesn't deliver. For that price it should have been an all new platform, 2litre 4 cylinder with 350Hp.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the i30N will suit my driving style I never floor the throttle or dump the clutch, I use it progressively even when I only had 225Hp in the MR2.

Not interested in drag racing, got a bike for 0-60 times in under 3 seconds if I wanted in 1st gear.

I guess the handling is all relative, try 15inch wheels with Toyo R888 semi-slicks in the wet you just have to adjust your speed.

What I want is an extremely engaging car to drive. The pleasure comes from the way it feels and the i30N felt good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I remember you were quite high on the GR before, curious to know what it is about the release that's changed your mind?

For me it's the recently released GR86 pricing at 56k NZD, when I expected it to be in the high 40s. I'm pretty sure the GRC is a significantly higher calibre car, which means it will probably be mid to high 60s at least. I hope I'm wrong.
Fully expecting the GR Corolla to be in the 70k NZD plus territory in New Zealand and it could be a 12 month wait so what's the point ?

That price level is running into Golf R territory and I'm sorry the GR just doesn't have the pedigree.

Still waiting for the NZ Spec and the NZ pricing before making a final decision but pretty sure the price will kill it for me. The spec will be critical because I simply cannot see a market as small as ours getting all 3 models let alone multiple options within the models. I anticipate us getting ONE and ONE only car as a take it or leave it option and that will probably be a core spec.

The entry level core is truly a poverty spec car in comparison to the i30N because we get the very top spec i30N in New Zealand, its basically a Euro spec car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey I'm used to getting shit but I had the last laugh because I basically retired age 48.

I'm keeping my options open at this stage and the i30N would be the fun dry weather car and if I intend to go skiing and the weather is shit just switch to my Subaru instead.

I was hoping to cut down to one car that "Did it all" but that is still proving difficult.

The i30N could effectively push Toyota to make a high spec GR for our market at a better price than if the i30N didn't exist here so its a win win really. You have to remember we DO NOT get a manual Golf R here so there is nothing to keep a cap on the price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also, apologies to everyone who didn't come here to talk about gr86 pricing
Probably best to move this to a New Zealand specific thread.

There is a stunning GR86 JDM RZ version brand new on trade me for $66K but nobody has bought it and thats the only one in the country. Checkout that interior it makes the GRC for our region look terrible.

Because we have the full range of Hyundai cars here already from the i30N fastback AND the hatchback and even the Kona N I'm beginning to think we are simply not going to see the GRC hype here in NZ. Also now that 80% of new car sales here are Auto anyway, people here will simply buy a Golf R if they want AWD. The move to Euro cars in Auckland on my last visit was just shocking it was Mercedes and Audi and BMW just everywhere.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Probably not really that fair to go back to 2011 on Hyundai.

Every manufacturer has had their fair share of problems, after all not every part is actually Hyundai or Toyota is it ? They are all outsourced.

Toyota made total shit cars to start with, took them years to get to where they are now.

Just had the passenger airbag replaced free of charge in my 2004 Subaru after they have been chasing me for years to get it done. Tens of thousands of the Takata airbags had to be replaced because just a couple of them went off by themselves.

Would I go for a brand new Toyota engine design or an engine that's been in the i30N since 2018 ? The engine in the last gen MR2, the Toyota MRS was a total failure, it also ate itself so no matter what you buy as a new design its a risk. Toyota should have carried on an made an all Alloy version of the 3SGTE for the MRS, it would have been epic at 300Hp easy back in 1998 but instead they built a cheaper replacement that turned out to be a total dog.

On the face of it from my engineering perspective the new 3 cylinder is not great. Its under much more stress from the outset, smaller surface area to get the heat out and running stupid levels of boost stock form to get 300Hp. Initially I wrote the GR Corolla off because of that engine then came to accept it but now the list of what I call sub par stuff has put me off buying one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.