Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

just wanting to put the feelers out there to all fellow Aussies.

I have Deposits down since the week of Announcement of the car, and my name listed everywhere else I couldn't place a deposit. Even going into the more rural areas. The more and more I check in with all these dealers and keep my name fresh in their minds, the more I realise that I just think that there where a ton of people that have 'rung in' well before and and well before the official announcement for the GRC. Talking to one dealer, they were saying that they know that they have multiple orders from the same people but they aren't able to police it, so I'm very curious to see what Toyota AU does to make this car available to 'enthusiasts' only. I really thought that I got in early and spent the time ensuring I could secure one but seems like my efforts where for nothing. At this point I'm going to bide my time and hope that once the car drops a miracle will happen and I can snag one, if not I will get my deposits back and hopefully try get a GR Yaris, I would wait for the next batch of GRC's but that this rate with trying to acquire a new car waiting for production I will probably take ages before I can get one.

Anyways how is everyone else's confidence levels on their position in line?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told 'you are the first person to talk to us about the GR Corolla' this was maybe the week after the announcement. Each time they have called me (monthly) it is 'you are first in line and we will let you know as soon as we have something'. This isn't the first car I've purchased from this dealer so I can only assume they are being genuine (maybe I am being naïve). Ultimately until we understand the specs (if we get a core model only then I'm out) and how they will be allocated it doesn't mean much. If they decide to go down the lottery path then being first in line doesn't mean shit and you will either get lucky or have to pay a scalper $20k above RRP for one...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told 'you are the first person to talk to us about the GR Corolla' this was maybe the week after the announcement. Each time they have called me (monthly) it is 'you are first in line and we will let you know as soon as we have something'. This isn't the first car I've purchased from this dealer so I can only assume they are being genuine (maybe I am being naïve). Ultimately until we understand the specs (if we get a core model only then I'm out) and how they will be allocated it doesn't mean much. If they decide to go down the lottery path then being first in line doesn't mean shit and you will either get lucky or have to pay a scalper $20k above RRP for one...
Yeah I get ya, crazy times for buying and new car, and the GRC is no exception, Good luck with it mate hopefully we will both be getting one :)

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
I'm asking this from ignorance, so I apologise in advance, but what is stopping you (or Americans for that matter) buying a Mexican GR Yaris and importing it?
American import laws. Barring some rare exceptions, a car has to be 25 years old before we can import it here and legally register it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm third in line at my local dealership but I'm losing interest. Toyota has screwed up the launch. They said the car would definitely be here this year but were full of shit. I'm looking at other options like a used GRY, WRX STI (held it's own against the GRC on Throttle House), Elantra N, I30N etc. Toyota is relying on brand reputation while screwing over Australian customers. Did you see the GR86 pricing debacle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is likely a stupid question but how have you been putting in deposits, just call up your local dealers and ask to put a deposit for either GRC or GRY? First time considering buying a new car😅

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is likely a stupid question but how have you been putting in deposits, just call up your local dealers and ask to put a deposit for either GRC or GRY? First time considering buying a new car😅
If Australian dealers are like US dealers, yes, but it will be up to the dealer whether they take deposits/maintain waitlists with no standardized deposit amount and no legally binding reservation terms.

Unfortunately, if you aren't already on a list, it's most likely going to be a very long wait.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Around the time of the initial announcement most dealers were taking $1000 deposits. I'm pretty sure they have stopped doing this but they still probably have expressions of interest lists you can put your name down on. But honestly at this stage you would probably be waiting years to get a car if you put your name down now. Although there is some talk of there being a random lottery system which would make all previous deposits meaningless. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm third in line at my local dealership but I'm losing interest. Toyota has screwed up the launch. They said the car would definitely be here this year but were full of shit. I'm looking at other options like a used GRY, WRX STI (held it's own against the GRC on Throttle House), Elantra N, I30N etc. Toyota is relying on brand reputation while screwing over Australian customers. Did you see the GR86 pricing debacle?
Nah I didn't see, what happened?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts