Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just like many things you've went into, it was covered earlier in this thread. One of those is what 4WD is, the GR Yaris or Corolla don't have the locking differential(s) that makes 4WD a thing. It's AWD. One thing that boggles my mind though your entire series there seems to be some confusion as to whether someone's opinion influences how a system works. It doesn't. It's simply how it works - physics, engineering, math and the computer programming within the system don't function any differently because your or my opinion agrees with it. But looks like we're not going to get the theory about how the GR Four system manages to have an overdrive rear gear and can transfer 50%+ of the torque to the rear wheels all the time and not fry or wear something from an owner who's unlocked the ability to understand such things? Oh well, our loss then. Have a good one.
Still going I see.

You've made your opinion clear multiple times.

I respect your opinion. It's just as valid as anybody's. So please don't worry bud.

Toyota engineers have the opinion that their system is permanent AWD. If you think they're wrong, maybe you should contact them as I'm sure with your expertise and knowledge, there will be a job waiting for you.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Still going I see.

You've made your opinion clear multiple times.

I respect your opinion. It's just as valid as anybody's. So please don't worry bud.

Toyota engineers have the opinion that their system is permanent AWD. If you think they're wrong, maybe you should contact them as I'm sure with your expertise and knowledge, there will be a job waiting for you.

Enjoy.
So strange you still can't wrap around the concepts of static split and full time AWD. 95/5 front to rear split is still full time 'permanent' AWD and again no idea why it's such a sticking point for you, you're literally trying to argue semantics of the marketing department being infallible as your sole point. The full time system works very much the same for the Type-SH AWD system from Honda as I've stated earlier numerous times, they're both full time AWD systems. As for what the Toyota engineers opinion of their system specifically to it's permanence, you simply don't know what they think. You have an idea of what marketing says and again, opinion to how a system works doesn't change how the system works. No idea why you constantly think someone's opinion changes how mechanisms work. 🤨 It's a very strange stance. As for working for Toyota, been there done that and moved on. But you do you. Pretty obvious no additional understanding will come from this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So strange you still can't wrap around the concepts of static split and full time AWD. 95/5 front to rear split is still full time 'permanent' AWD and again no idea why it's such a sticking point for you, you're literally trying to argue semantics of the marketing department. The full time system works very much the same for the Type-SH AWD system from Honda as I've stated earlier numerous times, they're both full time AWD systems. As for what the Toyota engineers opinion of their system specifically to it's permanence, you simply don't know what they think. You have an idea of what marketing says and again, opinion to how a system works doesn't change how the system works. No idea why you constantly think someone's opinion changes how mechanisms work. 🤨 It's a very strange stance. As for working for Toyota, been there done that and moved on.
Toyota share the same opinion as me.

Your opinion is fully respected though.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Toyota share the same opinion as me.

Your opinion is fully respected though.

Thanks again.
At this point I'm not sure you understand the difference between marketing and engineering. Nor understand a marketing press release isn't a brand's opinion, it's marketing material to sell a product. Never mind you're solely focused upon 'permanent' AWD as your one and only thing your 'opinion' believes makes everything work even though it's already been conceded the difference between full time and 'permanent' being semantic at best. But glad we worked out just how much insight you have to offer. Carry on your GR is awesome crusade. ✌

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
@TimeRacer No one on this forum has absolutely definitive proof, extremely technical proof that this car is not doing a 95/5 split down the highway or not. Your arguing in circles and throwing out technical terms. You're getting offended over offenses that haven't even happened yet.

Seriously. Chill. Stop throwing accusations at people. When we get our hands on the car we can test this. Or we can find someone with a Yaris and the tools to test this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@TimeRacer No one on this forum has absolutely definitive proof, extremely technical proof that this car is not doing a 95/5 split down the highway or not. Your arguing in circles and throwing out technical terms. You're getting offended over offenses that haven't even happened yet.

Seriously. Chill. Stop throwing accusations at people. When we get our hands on the car we can test this. Or we can find someone with a Yaris and the tools to test this.
I think you're discounting the information already available, even the practical testing on the GR Yaris reflects a level of understanding that the car isn't a static split. If the car is 99/1 or 90/10 who cares, that's completely missing the point in it operates just like the other similar systems. The main reason for the 'circles' is the argument for opinion changes how machines work is just so beyond I didn't let it go simply because I can't process how someone can think that and I acknowledge I played into it in part because I was told to let it ride. As for being offended, that would be you being offended for me (zero basis attacks carry no weight), I'm simply highlighting the trolling nature of this whole thing and how this was never about learning about the AWD system from his first contribution. But unless someone tags me I didn't plan to responding further in any case as this is all repeating the first 3 pages. Carry on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This all seems to be a huge grammatical misunderstanding. No, it is not "4wd" which is usually referred to in trucks etc with a manual transfer case and fixed 50/50 distribution. It would technically be fulltime awd using computer controlled decoupling clutch packs. Yes it can disable and be 2wd if there are faults or you force it with something like syvecs, but during normal operation it would be awd in some capacity at all times regardless of the split ratio.

But I do think it comes down to splitting hairs over grammar and minor details referring to fulltime awd vs 4wd.

To summarize in simple technical terms: the system is fulltime awd and not 4WD and the difference is computer controlled clutch packs vs statically geared 50/50 connection.

Either way not worth people getting heated about

·
Registered
45 Posts
This all seems to be a huge grammatical misunderstanding. No, it is not "4wd" which is usually referred to in trucks etc with a manual transfer case and fixed 50/50 distribution. It would technically be fulltime awd using computer controlled decoupling clutch packs. Yes it can disable and be 2wd if there are faults or you force it with something like syvecs, but during normal operation it would be awd in some capacity at all times regardless of the split ratio.

But I do think it comes down to splitting hairs over grammar and minor details referring to fulltime awd vs 4wd.

To summarize in simple technical terms: the system is fulltime awd and not 4WD and the difference is computer controlled clutch packs vs statically geared 50/50 connection.

It's just phone auto correct, that's all.

Nothing to worry about.

His opinion is respected.

·
Super Moderator
421 Posts
I think you're discounting the information already available, even the practical testing on the GR Yaris reflects a level of understanding that the car isn't a static split. If the car is 99/1 or 90/10 who cares, that's completely missing the point in it operates just like the other similar systems. The main reason for the 'circles' is the argument for opinion changes how machines work is just so beyond I didn't let it go simply because I can't process how someone can think that and I acknowledge I played into it in part because I was told to let it ride. As for being offended, that would be you being offended for me (zero basis attacks carry no weight), I'm simply highlighting the trolling nature of this whole thing and how this was never about learning about the AWD system from his first contribution. But unless someone tags me I didn't plan to responding further in any case as this is all repeating the first 3 pages. Carry on.
You completely missed my point. Until someone with a GRY or a GRC and the tools to test are on this forum, we will never know if this is a truly sending 60/40 at all times to all wheels. I'm inclined to believe Toyota when they claim it does, as they probably don't want a lawsuit on their hands for false advertising, ESPECIALLY if they're bringing the same system to a place as litigious as the USA. That screams class action lawsuit. The best we can do is reach out to someone who owns a GRY and the tools we need, such as Motive Video, who has access to a dyno and a GRY, and see if they're willing to test this for us. That seems far more productive that arguing circles on the internet.

The other point in my post is that you're being combative and rude to other members because they don't agree with you, and then accusing them of doing things in the future when no harm or foul has occurred. For what it's worth, I hardly have time to be offended for myself, nontheless a random stranger on the internet, so please don't accuse me or anyone else of that. No one that's still an active member here is trolling, either. We all just want to know the truth about the GR Four system and want to be excited about the GRC as a whole.

Like I said in the first bit, until we have a car and the tools on this forum, we will not know for sure. That's the nature of joining a forum like this well in advance of the car's release.

Agreed. Thank you for breaking this down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You completely missed my point. Until someone with a GRY or a GRC and the tools to test are on this forum, we will never know if this is a truly sending 60/40 at all times to all wheels. I'm inclined to believe Toyota when they claim it does, as they probably don't want a lawsuit on their hands for false advertising, ESPECIALLY if they're bringing the same system to a place as litigious as the USA. That screams class action lawsuit.
Ok so your first point is there's no point to discuss the system, "Until someone with a GRY or a GRC and the tools to test are on this forum." Obviously this is nitpicky but if you're trying to establish some sort of 'rules' one would think they'd be clear. If this is the 'rule' you're basically limiting speculation until the car is in hand. The second part is more curiosity has Toyota ever officially said it's a static split AWD system? I don't recall them ever doing that. To quote the Toyota page, "This system gives drivers a choice of 60-40, 50-50 or 30-70 power distribution to the front and rear wheels." and "GR-FOUR AWD system automatically distributes power from 50/50 up to 30/70 front and rear for ultimate traction come rain or shine." nothing that it's static. One says it's driver configurable and the other says it's automatic. So there's a lot of development you have, even calling for lawsuits there for something that's inferred at best in the first place. Again, marketing press release speak vs actual mechanical function. And again, there's not even a basic theory to how that kind of system would work so this is becoming more about taking sides than it is about a technical speculation discussion. Strange stance to take.

The other point in my post is that you're being combative and rude to other members because they don't agree with you, and then accusing them of doing things in the future when no harm or foul has occurred.
Big difference between agreement over how a system works (honestly doesn't matter to me if someone disagrees) vs people asserting you're wrong, the combativeness stems from the later but it's always backed up with information that some consider rude/combative(?) That's a me thing as I never take information as rude, it's information. As for the accusation, funny thing is the second I noted it was becoming personal (a single sentence) the entire conversation tone changed, unsurprisingly. But I understand, being preemptive is frowned upon and allow people to do what they'll do and let the mods deal with whatever comes up. Seeing some of the runaway threads that have already occurred in my short time here, saying a single sentence that changes the whole tone away from it is wrong. You're making it sound like I reported the post or yelled at a mod to do something [both of which didn't occur].

For what it's worth, I hardly have time to be offended for myself, nontheless a random stranger on the internet, so please don't accuse me or anyone else of that.
At no point did I say I was offended, you asserted that for myself. Same advice works both ways.

No one that's still an active member here is trolling, either.
Interesting. I'll have to make a note of the low key inferences are allowed.

The best we can do is reach out to someone who owns a GRY and the tools we need, such as Motive Video, who has access to a dyno and a GRY, and see if they're willing to test this for us. That seems far more productive that arguing circles on the internet.

snip

We all just want to know the truth about the GR Four system and want to be excited about the GRC as a whole.

snip

Like I said in the first bit, until we have a car and the tools on this forum, we will not know for sure. That's the nature of joining a forum like this well in advance of the car's release.
So, rhetorical question. Is speculation frowned upon or no? As every single one of these quotes basically state we won't know the truth about the GR Four until the GRC is released. So trying to gain some clarity about the system prior to release should be done.... on a limited basis at best? The messaging you're trying to convey here is pretty murky. As for the arguing circles, I'll quote myself, "The main reason for the 'circles' is the argument for opinion changes how machines work is just so beyond I didn't let it go simply because I can't process how someone can think that and I acknowledge I played into it in part because I was told to let it ride."

Basically what I've learned is that information, repeated (as we're seeing now videos and links making round 2 & 3 in this thread) is rude, condescending and combative. Because TL : DR and mentality. I fully understand I let it run, again, because I was told to. But just strange the intent is all over the place here. But I'll operate on the conservative side here and until it's confirmed from Toyota, just don't comment upon it because technicals, references and elaborations are frowned upon. This is my last post on this, if you need to speak to me more you can take it to PM as I'm not going to respond here as this has really nothing to do with the topic, if we're even allowed to speculate further.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess it varies. IIRC the 4th gen 4Runner V6 you're supposed to be stopped. My old coworkers 2012(?) F150 you had to be stopped and it was sloooooow.
Are you thinking of shifting into 4L? 4L definitely requires stopping.

4th Gen 4Runner has the multimode transfer case. It can run 2H, 4H (open center diff), 4H (locked center diff), and 4L (which may or may not have an open center diff mode). I believe that you only have to stop when you go into low range.

Regardless, everyone seemed to love that transfer case so I'd be surprised if you had to stop to go to 4H. 4H locked might require you to stop. My 5th gen 4Runner has a part time transfer case (no center diff), so torque split is locked 50:50 when I shift into 4H and it can shift on the fly. I only use it when the roads are snow covered because it will bind while turning on high friction surfaces. When the roads get crappy, I grab the lever and pull it into 4H as long as I'm below 50mph or so.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
217 Posts
I wasn't thinking about 4L, I know that's a slow/stopped process on everything, but it was quite a few years ago now so maybe it was just slow to go into 4H from 2H or something. I just remember it wasn't as instant as yanking a lever and getting 4H so I was just going to get a V8 that was full time and not have to worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
666 Posts
This thread is getting so interesting....

Just be mindful not to go overboard with all those glitz and glamour of over explaining everything.

We never had any experience with this GR-Four AWD system, except to those members who owns a GR Yaris.

So don't be so smart and being rude to people that you know this and that.

Or if you have a knowledge and experience about it, make sure to back your statement with your studies or review.

All that was fed to us is just information from Toyota.

Anyway, so if you guys want to be more of like the genius of this and want to discuss further, make sure to be respectful and stay in the topic.

Thank you and lets have a wonderful day.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I wasn't thinking about 4L, I know that's a slow/stopped process on everything, but it was quite a few years ago now so maybe it was just slow to go into 4H from 2H or something. I just remember it wasn't as instant as yanking a lever and getting 4H so I was just going to get a V8 that was full time and not have to worry about it.
It really depends. I can get video evidence of the FJ shifting instantly into "4H" but that's full-time. My dad's 5th gen Trail and 2nd gen Tundra TRDOR are basically instant.

4th Gen 4Runner has the multimode transfer case. It can run 2H, 4H (open center diff), 4H (locked center diff), and 4L (which may or may not have an open center diff mode). I believe that you only have to stop when you go into low range.

Regardless, everyone seemed to love that transfer case so I'd be surprised if you had to stop to go to 4H. 4H locked might require you to stop. My 5th gen 4Runner has a part time transfer case (no center diff), so torque split is locked 50:50 when I shift into 4H and it can shift on the fly. I only use it when the roads are snow covered because it will bind while turning on high friction surfaces. When the roads get crappy, I grab the lever and pull it into 4H as long as I'm below 50mph or so.
I can attest to this. In the FJ: shifting in 4H, or "HL" as it's called on full-time systems, just requires you to be under 50mph and is very instant the same as shifting into 4H on part-time units so I'd assume it'd be similar to the multi-mode. I've tried to find what transfer case the 4th gen 4Runner has but manual FJ's got the VF4B and the auto 4WD's got the VF2A but I love the VF4B system. It runs the same as the multi-mode minus the 4H with open center diff

·
Registered
13 Posts
people could also watch this video demonstration.
Wow. Impressive. Either it runs some power to the rears all the time (from a stop/low speeds shown here) or that clutch is very, super fast.

Only with the fronts on rollers and rears on the ground do the fronts spin noticeably before the rears. Leading to a 90/10 or 85/15 split being a reasonable guess - there was not enough power going to the rear wheels to move the car. But within 30 to 90 degrees of front wheel slip the rears got the power needed - the Focus was well over 360 degrees.

All other tests had the fronts and rears moving at the same time.

My guess is some rear wheel torque all the time (at least from a stop) and the clutch is very (but not super very) fast to send more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Every chain driven transfer case is shift on the fly to my knowledge. The old gear driven tcases like the old passenger side drops from the yota’s or the Dana 20’s require stopping in pretty sure.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts