Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen lots of YouTube videos of the GR Yaris on the racetrack and it looks like it performs quite well.
The GR Corolla has more hp and torque, but the GR Yaris weighs quite a lot less.....so.
Will the GR Corolla with the limited slip diffs on the racetrack be:
-as capable as the GR Yaris.
-more capable than the GR Yaris.
-less capable than the GR Yaris.
What are your thoughts gents?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've seen lots of YouTube videos of the GR Yaris on the racetrack and it looks like it performs quite well.
The GR Corolla has more hp and torque, but the GR Yaris weighs quite a lot less.....so.
What reason do we have to believe that it will be either equally or more capable than the GRY??

The power bump only makes it equal to the GRY in a drag race. You mentioned racetrack - it's the same car but 400lbs heavier, I'm not sure what more there is to wonder.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,973 Posts
Less capable. No matter what you do, the GRY has a shorter wheel base and will corner better. It's also lighter. Motive Garage did a comparison from a tuner perspective. If you got the same power out of both, the GRY will be faster due to weight. You can take some weight out of the GRC but it'll never be as light as you can make a GRY. I think quarter mile and 0-60 times will be similar but the GRC will not keep up with the GRY on the twisties from stock.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I personally don't care. I'm not planning on tracking my GRC but my track is all of the mountain roads and canyons in the western USA. And there are a lot of fun roads out west! 😍😎🤣

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't imagine that it will match the GRY in any handling or performance metric. But, at the end of the day, this isn't a racecar; it's a hot hatch. So, my hope is that the driving fun factor will be "comparable" to the GRY and we'll have doors and size (read: livability) as compensation. If one of the youtube GRY fanboys says, "It's almost as good," I'll take it as a win.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,973 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
I can't imagine that it will match the GRY in any handling or performance metric. But, at the end of the day, this isn't a racecar; it's a hot hatch. So, my hope is that the driving fun factor will be "comparable" to the GRY and we'll have doors and size (read: livability) as compensation. If one of the youtube GRY fanboys says, "It's almost as good," I'll take it as a win.
Better way of thinking about it

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Less Capable.

Why?

• Lower power to weight ratio (GrY: 2822 lbs / 268hp = 10.53lbs/hp GrC: 3250lbs / 300hp = 10.83lbs/hp)
  • More weight to have to chuck around (above)
  • Longer wheelbase (GrY: 100.8 GrC: 103.9in)
  • Same suspension and drive train design
  • Slightly wider track width (1.2") but doubtful that'll make up for everything else above.

There really isn't any compelling reasoning that would indicate the GrY would be slower in any metric against the GrC stock or similarly modified. Now that Toyota is saying the Morizo edition motor is coming to the GrY... there's little chance GrC is faster than the GrY in any trim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts