Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
If any of the mods want, we can merge this with the other thread or delete it since the video is in there as well

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
View attachment 1190
The GRC is getting major attention... Raiti's videos usually average 40-50k views, 2 of his GRC videos are approaching 300k views and counting and another one is like mid 100k.
Hype is real...
I forget what YouTuber said it, but this thing is breaking the internet

·
Registered
'99 2.5rs WRX swapped, '85 Brat, '17 golf sportwagen, '89 K2500 manual
84 Posts
Circuit without wing is the best looking version IMO. It made to the banner for this site even!

As a big wing fan myself, I'm surprised I like the small wing look. It's the bulge on the hood that really makes the front end stand out. Maybe it's the red. Or like people have said the way the camera is, but the core hood looks SO bland.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
To clarify production numbers a bit. Yes, they are planning for 1500 Circuits and 5500 Cores for the 2023 calendar year. I don't know what total global production is but North America is getting 80% of global production. So between Japan, Australia, NZ, and misc regions, you're looking at something like 1200-1500 cars divided between them all. Europe and UK aren't getting the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To clarify production numbers a bit. Yes, they are planning for 1500 Circuits and 5500 Cores for the 2023 calendar year. I don't know what total global production is but North America is getting 80% of global production. So between Japan, Australia, NZ, and misc regions, you're looking at something like 1200-1500 cars divided between them all. Europe and UK aren't getting the car.
Those are very disappointing numbers. Toyota could easily sell 1500 circuits in Canada alone. I called 10 dealerships today in Toronto, and all are stating they have 10-20 deposits already (mine included). If dealerships get one each, that just means one of the owners kids will get a Circuit, no actual customers will be able to purchase.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good video, but the part about final drive ratio didn't make sense at first.

I'm not sure if GRC has a lower final drive (taller numerical) or if people said it has a lower numerical with a higher final drive.

·
Registered
‘15 Ford Fiesta ST
163 Posts

I'm not sure if GRC has a lower final drive (taller numerical) or if people said it has a lower numerical with a higher final drive.
Yeah I would expect a lower final drive for better highway cruising. This will definitely be more daily oriented than the GRY. And tbh I’d prefer that. So long as the first few gears aren’t overly long I’d happily take better MPGs and less drone on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Yeah I would expect a lower final drive for better highway cruising. This will definitely be more daily oriented than the GRY. And tbh I’d prefer that. So long as the first few gears aren’t overly long I’d happily take better MPGs and less drone on the highway.

I should have been more clear, sorry. The GR Corolla will have a more aggressive final drive meaning a higher number. The GR Yaris FD is 3.941 (I believe), so I would expect the GR Corolla to have something along the lines of a 4.1 or maybe as high as a 4.3.

The reasoning given to me by Sakamoto-san was that he wanted the Corolla to have the same quick acceleration as the GR Yaris, and they needed to compensate for the added weight.

This means that the GR Corolla will rev slightly higher at the same speed when compared to the GR Yaris.

The transmission gear ratios on the GR Corolla are the exact same as the GR Yaris:

1st - 3.538
2nd - 2.238
3rd - 1.535
4th - 1.162
5th - 1.081
6th - 0.902
Reverse - 3.831

·
Registered
284 Posts
I should have been more clear, sorry. The GR Corolla will have a more aggressive final drive meaning a higher number. The GR Yaris FD is 3.941 (I believe), so I would expect the GR Corolla to have something along the lines of a 4.1 or maybe as high as a 4.3.

The reasoning given to me by Sakamoto-san was that he wanted the Corolla to have the same quick acceleration as the GR Yaris, and they needed to compensate for the added weight.

This means that the GR Corolla will rev slightly higher at the same speed when compared to the GR Yaris.

The transmission gear ratios on the GR Corolla are the exact same as the GR Yaris:

1st - 3.538
2nd - 2.238
3rd - 1.535
4th - 1.162
5th - 1.081
6th - 0.902
Reverse - 3.831
Makes sense. In other words, the GRC will have a lower final drive than a GRY.

The higher the number, the lower the ratio. A 4.10 gear has a lower ratio than a 3.941 gear.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
To put this into more practical numbers for everyone who is wondering about highway cruising RPM,

A GR Yaris with a 225/40/18 with the 3.941 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3350rpm

A GR Corolla with a 235/40/18 and a 4.1 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3430rpm

A GR Corolla with a 235/40/18 and a 4.3 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3600rpm

EDIT: I should mention, the GR Yaris is quoted online as having two final drives, one for gears 1-4 and another for 5-6. The 5-6 FD is 3.350, which would be much better for highway cruising. I'm not totally sure on exactly how this system works, or how it will translate to the GRC, so the above numbers are likely wrong for gears 5-6.

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
364 Posts
To put this into more practical numbers for everyone who is wondering about highway cruising RPM,

A GR Yaris with a 225/40/18 with the 3.941 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3350rpm

A GR Corolla with a 235/40/18 and a 4.1 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3430rpm

A GR Corolla with a 235/40/18 and a 4.3 FD will do 70mph in 6th gear at about 3600rpm

EDIT: I should mention, the GR Yaris is quoted online as having two final drives, one for gears 1-4 and another for 5-6. The 5-6 FD is 3.350, which would be much better for highway cruising. I'm not totally sure on exactly how this system works, or how it will translate to the GRC, so the above numbers are likely wrong for gears 5-6.
Interesting, didn’t know about that. It appears there two counter shafts, gears 1-4 use one and 5-6 use the other and the counter shafts have different gear to achieve this two final drive ratios.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Interesting, didn’t know about that. It appears there two counter shafts, gears 1-4 use one and 5-6 use the other and the counter shafts have different gear to achieve this two final drive ratios.
Yep, that's what I was reading also. Interesting system! Adds weight but allows you to have good acceleration and low rpm highway cruising as well.

Holy crap I'm Youtube famous!
@Guff, thanks for including a few of my Heavy Metal photoshopped wheel images in your video around 4:26!
You did a great job! I couldn't resist when I saw the TeddyBear37s 😂

41 - 60 of 82 Posts