Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
1,021 - 1,040 of 2,146 Posts
Regardless of performance, the GRC will always sound better than the Type R even with aftermarket exhaust imo. Last gen Type R sounded buttcheeks even with aftermarket units and I'm expecting similar outcomes with the new one.
The entire 10th generation series of civics sound like shit.

I’m curious for a core or CE with the reduced torque but yeah exactly what we expected
I’ll be curious once mods/tunes are prevalent. Very little interest in stock times. Tuner’s class after all. I can’t wait for the tunes and parts and see what the cost to performance ratios are. We know a lot about the G16 from the Australians but definitely want to see the parts and tunes from the USDM.

Also curious about the Golf R MY24 changes rumored.

if we shit on the type R any harder, we might be able to feel good about our purchase decision

but fr, type R doesn't sound great. worst offender is cabin engine noise.
I am not shitting on the CTR.
I think it's great and was I able to drive one for a short distance.
I really wanted one but it just never panned out for me.
Plus, I already have a Civic Hatchback, so I want some thing that is completely different.

So could you pull out that giant foam part and take a photo for us? Is the foam just there to create a floor at the height of the battery, or is there other stuff under there?
I don't have the car yet, but this is a screen grab from a video.

Edit: You beat me to it.

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

I find the top down view quite funny, look at how much longer the CTR is compared to the GRC
View attachment 5748
Met up with a buddy who has a Focus ST and another with CTR (brand new) the CTR seems VERY long compared to the GR. The St was about the same length, but the GR is taller and wider then the ST.

I figured it was going to be dead at highway speeds per how the top end seems to get beat by other cars with higher top end abilities and speed. Driving through traffic last night was really fun. And even in 5th-6th gear the car was pulling like crazy! Fun fact the little turbo gauge glows red by itself when you get higher up in the rev range and really get on it. Its the little touches like that!

These cars REALLY REALLY NEED AN AUTO DIMMING REVIEW MIRROR. My old wrx had one and I loved it. ITs incredibly annoying being in front of any sort of SUV or BRO DOZER DIESEL with their bullshit light bars or what looks like highbeams shining into your eyes. In traffic mostly its an issue at night. Otherwise I just weave and dart away. I know they have the little switch to dim it down. But I am hoping for a factory version. If anyone knows if you can get one on a regular corolla hatch please let me know.

I agree with everything you said about the GR, it does feel special with the way it drives and how it sounds.
I have to praise the steering feel and ratio. It's just right. It's sharp and the initial steering response is quick - which is a big deal, because the 22 WRX dead zone is horrible. :sick:
The steering maybe a little numb but all modern cars are like this. I believe this car makes the steering feel/weight lighter at low speed/parking lots and firms up as you pick up speed.

The cold start almost gives me goosebumps every time. I like how the car tells me when its ready to start moving once the waste gate and middle exhaust flap closes.
I think the center exit is always open at idle?

the extra noise at cold start is from the timing on the exhaust valves being advanced so that hotter gas gets to the cats faster to light them off faster (same as the E-wastegate).

Reactions: mdp5094
I figured it was going to be dead at highway speeds per how the top end seems to get beat by other cars with higher top end abilities and speed. Driving through traffic last night was really fun. And even in 5th-6th gear the car was pulling like crazy! Fun fact the little turbo gauge glows red by itself when you get higher up in the rev range and really get on it. Its the little touches like that!

These cars REALLY REALLY NEED AN AUTO DIMMING REVIEW MIRROR. My old wrx had one and I loved it. ITs incredibly annoying being in front of any sort of SUV or BRO DOZER DIESEL with their bullshit light bars or what looks like highbeams shining into your eyes. In traffic mostly its an issue at night. Otherwise I just weave and dart away. I know they have the little switch to dim it down. But I am hoping for a factory version. If anyone knows if you can get one on a regular corolla hatch please let me know.
My 2015 Chevrolet Cruze had an auto dimming rearview mirror. I couldn't believe it when I saw that this thing doesn't. I just had 15% tint put on the hatch though so that problem is solved, lol.

Don't one of the dealer-installed options include a fancy rearview mirror that auto-dims? That could be an option but once again disappointing that it isn't standard.

Don't one of the dealer-installed options include a fancy rearview mirror that auto-dims? That could be an option but once again disappointing that it isn't standard.
Negative—the only mirror accessory available for the GRC is a non-auto dimming frameless Homelink mirror.

People have installed auto dimming mirrors in the non-GR Corolla.

Post #40 shows how to pull the A pillar trim to get a switched power wire up there on a regular CHB.

1,021 - 1,040 of 2,146 Posts