Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
1,001 - 1,020 of 2,146 Posts
This is a friend of mine here in Houston. I'm going to check out his car later this week. He intends to time attack the car.
Follow up. I went to my friend's house to look at the car today. Here's some things I noticed.

• The shifter is nice and notchy.
  • Headliner around the driver is raised to allow for helmet clearance.
  • Gauge cluster is customizable and has useful data.
  • At my height (5 ft. 10 in.) I had no problem fitting in the back seat.
  • The car has hill start assist.
  • Steering resistance changes by mode. Sport mode is adequate for track driving.
  • The gas pedal depth is inset quite a bit from the brake pedal. This is probably fine for track driving. Horizontal distance is okay for me.
  • The rear wheels are confirmed to have spacers.
  • Yes, no arm rest.

I've seen reviews go over the trunk area, and how there is just big pits on the sides that will swallow small items. The raised floor you would think was for the rear end drive axles, etc but its for the battery... and an extra large one at that due to the start stop function. Does it actually have a start stop function? If it does, I'd try to disable that, and get a smaller battery, then go buy a standard trunk trim/floor panel from a standard Corolla... you know there will be aftermarket solutions for this. Some people don't care that the start stop function was originally to cut emissions at a stop light.
I rode in a GR Corolla yesterday. I don't recall there being a start/stop function in it at all. I took a look at the battery, it really wasn't that massive. The floor is raised quite a bit. Yes, it does drop off on the ends.

I rode in a GR Corolla yesterday. I don't recall there being a start/stop function in it at all. I took a look at the battery, it really wasn't that massive. The floor is raised quite a bit. Yes, it does drop off on the ends.
My friend sent me pics of his owners manual for MT Supra he picked up this week and it says engine stops when in neutral and clutch is out. So if GRC is same, it wont kick off if youre sitting stopped with the clutch pushed in, which most people do unless your stopping for a long time.

My friend sent me pics of his owners manual for MT Supra he picked up this week and it says engine stops when in neutral and clutch is out. So if GRC is same, it wont kick off if youre sitting stopped with the clutch pushed in, which most people do unless your stopping for a long time.
I stay in neutral clutch out at almost every red light. The longest light I've sat at was about 2 minutes and the car never shut off.

I stay in neutral clutch out at almost every red light. The longest light I've sat at was about 2 minutes and the car never shut off.
Nice! I make a habit of trying to do that in my FR-S to try and prolong the life of the underspec throwout bearing. Auto shutoff is annoying and if the GR. Doesnt do it, im glad!

Exactly how everyone expected. Some will split hairs but it’s pretty straightforward
I’m curious for a core or CE with the reduced torque but yeah exactly what we expected

Exactly how everyone expected. Some will split hairs but it’s pretty straightforward
What was to be expected... I mean at least to me. Good performance all around for both cars. Though living in Texas, if you are not in the upper reaches of ridiculous power, no need in meeting up with the 1320/TX2K crowds out here, you will just be wasting gas. :LOL:

I’m curious for a core or CE with the reduced torque but yeah exactly what we expected
I'm guessing another car length in the roll race, and in the dig race. Its 280whp, vs 295whp. Every 6whp is a car length, and every extra 75lbs bolted down is a car length.

Edit: The weight is what makes the most difference with such aggressive launch. You can watch the CE vs last gen fk8 CTR and Elantra N video, and see what I mean. The extra torque is in the low rpms, which they just jump past those rpms in the agressive launch technique. After you watch that video, then watch them race an fk8 vs the new fl5 (basically no different in acceleration). All throttle house videos. Enjoy.

Regardless of performance, the GRC will always sound better than the Type R even with aftermarket exhaust imo. Last gen Type R sounded buttcheeks even with aftermarket units and I'm expecting similar outcomes with the new one.

1,001 - 1,020 of 2,146 Posts