Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
641 - 660 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
You should watch his review on the Focus RS, SO bitter towards it :ROFLMAO: it really offended me the first time I watched it, most of what he says carries weight but man once he's negative it doesn't stop.
Completely agreed, that once this guy dislikes somthing he beats it to death into the ground with distaste for it. His LFA video was (imo) his only cool and awesome video.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE | Celestial Silver
199 Posts
General consensus is the car isn’t what it was shown to be pretty much. Everyone has said it’s fun for what it is, but it’s not this crazy performance marvel we haven’t seen before. Which is true.
I want to know who thought it was a performance marvel, based on the paperwork when this car was rumored.

-300HP
-AWD
-6-speed
-Hatchback

We've been here before... it has been a while, but we have done this. Anyone thinking this was a marvel of automobile engineering had expectations too far in the clouds. However, speaking of journalists talking about the car, people like Liberman, Randy Probst (probably spelled that wrong), Matt Farah, and some UK writers have mentioned that it is much better than any of the initial waves of first drives.

I suspect the idea of constantly doing track days takes away from what 90% of these cars will be doing... and that's spirited driving on back roads.

Regardless, none of this is dampening my excitement, matter fact, call it it trash so these dealers can relax on ADM and other foolisheness! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 FJ 2020 RAV4 Hybrid 2017 Focus RS
578 Posts
I want to know who thought it was a performance marvel, based on the paperwork when this car was rumored.

-300HP
-AWD
-6-speed
-Hatchback

We've been here before... it has been a while, but we have done this. Anyone thinking this was a marvel of automobile engineering had expectations too far in the clouds. However, speaking of journalists talking about the car, people like Liberman, Randy Probst (probably spelled that wrong), Matt Farah, and some UK writers have mentioned that it is much better than any of the initial waves of first drives.

I suspect the idea of constantly doing track days takes away from what 90% of these cars will be doing... and that's spirited driving on back roads.

Regardless, none of this is dampening my excitement, matter fact, call it it trash so these dealers can relax on ADM and other foolisheness! :ROFLMAO:
Agreed, and for the most part the majority have kept their expectations in check (at least on this forum). I see the argument about advertising this as an awd drift rocket when that's not really accurate, but other than that everything else seems to be on par with what was promised.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
Agreed, and for the most part the majority have kept their expectations in check (at least on this forum). I see the argument about advertising this as an awd drift rocket when that's not really accurate, but other than that everything else seems to be on par with what was promised.
That’s why I don’t find Mark’s comments that bad. The only people who should be mad are the ones who still think it’s this rally rocket car that can decimate Porsches. The Type R is cool but honestly do any of you look at it and think “I bet MY Corolla could beat that thing.” 😂🤣

·
Registered
259 Posts
What’s funny is all the emphasis on these reviews. Always the “stock” car. Turbos are made to be modded. Stock cars are set up with inherit ”safety” for Joe Schmo rookie. Even the OEM camber setups are usually geared towards safety, understeer, rather than oversteer, etc.

My point is we will see what the GRC is truly capable of in the aftermarket. We already know the G16 capabilities but we don’t know which companies will make ECU flashes or piggy backs for the NA market. We also have no clue about the suspension, sways, and camber. It might not take much at all to turn this thing for inherit understeer to mild or aggressive oversteer. We have to wait on the aftermarket. We have to wait on testing.

What these reviewers do is drive it for a short time in a certain setting. They never test in 4 seasons. Proper testing is track, canyon/mountain/backroad, IE twisties, highway driving, but in all weather conditions. Summer with UHP summers, UHP all seasons, and pure winter tires with testing in the snow. Yet these reviews get analyzed and more importantly over analyzed. YT stuff is “influencer” turf. I trust someone like Pobst who is going to ring the thing’s neck at 10/10ths in Cali on several tracks. That shows what the chassis, powertrain, drivetrain, and braking components are capable of. Something like VIR is a good baseline for what kind of lap times it can produce. But then again these will be stock configuration times and testing. Cars in this class need at least mild mods to get the most out of the platform. Once we get there with the aftermarket we will know what the GRC is truly capable of. Until then this is speculation, more speculation, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
What’s funny is all the emphasis on these reviews. Always the “stock” car. Turbos are made to be modded. Stock cars are set up with inherit ”safety” for Joe Schmo rookie. Even the OEM camber setups are usually geared towards safety, understeer, rather than oversteer, etc.

My point is we will see what the GRC is truly capable of in the aftermarket. We already know the G16 capabilities but we don’t know which companies will make ECU flashes or piggy backs for the NA market. We also have no clue about the suspension, sways, and camber. It might not take much at all to turn this thing for inherit understeer to mild or aggressive oversteer. We have to wait on the aftermarket. We have to wait on testing.

What these reviewers do is drive it for a short time in a certain setting. They never test in 4 seasons. Proper testing is track, canyon/mountain/backroad, IE twisties, highway driving, but in all weather conditions. Summer with UHP summers, UHP all seasons, and pure winter tires with testing in the snow. Yet these reviews get analyzed and more importantly over analyzed. YT stuff is “influencer” turf. I trust someone like Pobst who is going to ring the thing’s neck at 10/10ths in Cali on several tracks. That shows what the chassis, powertrain, drivetrain, and braking components are capable of. Something like VIR is a good baseline for what kind of lap times it can produce. But then again these will be stock configuration times and testing. Cars in this class need at least mild mods to get the most out of the platform. Once we get there with the aftermarket we will know what the GRC is truly capable of. Until then this is speculation, more speculation, etc.
The issue with reviewers and the media for the GRC in particular is they showed a weird overhyping bias. We all knew that the car was a Corolla utilizing Yaris parts but we didn’t think it was a 4 door Yaris.

They posted videos of them in ridealongs where we all saw the car under steer and they said, on camera, “I can feel the car rotate/oversteer.” or the headlines “I met god and it’s the GR Corolla.

Matt Farah got to drive just the Morizo Edition as his experience, which we all know is the most different and more “exciting” of the bunch. So there’s a bias.

SavageGeese on their Q&As thought the car would be an amazing car with somewhat similar dynamics to a Yaris.

Guff thought it would be more like the GR86 as far as raw feeling (noise, steering feel) , But he was surprised how it was. Still loved the car though.

After all that, what we know is the Chief engineer knew it wouldn’t be like the GR Yaris so they prioritized stability, cornering and ease of use. Akio wanted a fun Corolla again and thought Toyota needed a sporty one. They don’t rally the car (yes during development they drove it in different conditions), they use it for racing which it does well in. The rally bs is for the Yaris and that’s okay.

The Corolla IS a great car, but people just need to stop overhyping stuff. Lmao.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That’s why I don’t find Mark’s comments that bad. The only people who should be mad are the ones who still think it’s this rally rocket car that can decimate Porsches. The Type R is cool but honestly do any of you look at it and think “I bet MY Corolla could beat that thing.” 😂🤣
Right, even the Type R will run circles around the GRC on the track. But to be done with it after 30 minutes? Come onnn bro 😂 but that's his opinion, he can have that I'll just strongly disagree lol

·
Registered
578 Posts

+1 for Matt Farah and the smoking tire, I love how they get the track experience but then take it to the canyon and report on how it behaves on regular canyon roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My feeling is the hype for the GRC doesn't come from the image of it being some knife-edged, hardcore track machine or gravel shredder. The hype is because it's all new entry in the segment from an established automaker. New engine, new AWD system etc. A car that fills the void left by the Evo and STI.

With that in mind, I'd think the YouTubers influencers would be more interested in the GRC than the new Type R purely from a content creation standpoint.

Out of the box the FL5 might be faster around a track, nicer inside and "better" depending on your preferences, but it's also an incremental update from the FK8 while the GRC is an entirely new platform that many are excited to watch develop.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
My feeling is the hype for the GRC doesn't come from the image of it being some knife-edged, hardcore track machine or gravel shredder. The hype is because it's all new entry in the segment from an established automaker. New engine, new AWD system etc. A car that fills the void left by the Evo and STI.

With that in mind, I'd think the YouTubers influencers would be more interested in the GRC than the new Type R purely from a content creation standpoint.

Out of the box the FL5 might be faster around a track, nicer inside and "better" depending on your preferences, but it's also an incremental update from the FK8 while the GRC is an entirely new platform that many are excited to watch develop.
I mean sure, but then again we have plenty of threads where people thought it was gonna be a hardcore rally car, those people have been gone for awhile now. People in the media prior to reviews also said the car should be good because they heard the Yaris is great and it shares powertrains. So yeah your idea might be true for some but not the majority of people 😂

You also have Toyota doing this:
Lighting Font Technology Screenshot Facade

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
568 Posts
I mean sure, but then again we have plenty of threads where people thought it was gonna be a hardcore rally car, but those people have been gone for awhile now. People in the media prior to reviews also said the car should be good because they heard the Yaris is great and it shares powertrains. 😂
Toyota: It's rally-inspired!
Also Toyota:
Font Rectangle Circle Number Magenta

641 - 660 of 683 Posts