Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
621 - 640 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seeing how much Thomas from TH got thrown around in the CTR on their track is more than enough to turn me off from that car, roads are pure crap in where I live and seeing how little Thomas got tossed around in the GRC on their track, it should be much more suitable for the roads in my area.

Sucks that TH wasn't able to get GRC during the filming of their comparison test between the new CTR (FL5), the old CTR (FK8), Focus RS and Golf R, cuz there's only one GRC in Canada during that time and it was way too far away from them 😂.

·
Registered
16 Posts

NOB Taniguchi's video. He says he really likes the car, didn't notice a massive difference from changing the AWD modes on track. Said the Morizo is even better. Morizo went 2.7 seconds faster than the RZ around Sodegaura Forest Raceway. Keiichi Tsuchiya time attack'd the FL5 Type R on the same track (not the same day/conditions, looked warmer when the FL5 ran) NOB did a 1:16.2 in the GRC Morizo, Keiichi did a 1:16.9 in the FL5 and NOB did a 1:18.9 in the GRC RZ.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
568 Posts

NOB Taniguchi's video. He says he really likes the car, didn't notice a massive difference from changing the AWD modes on track. Said the Morizo is even better. Morizo went 2.7 seconds faster than the RZ around Sodegaura Forest Raceway. Keiichi Tsuchiya time attack'd the FL5 Type R on the same track (not the same day/conditions, looked warmer when the FL5 ran) NOB did a 1:16.2 in the GRC Morizo, Keiichi did a 1:16.9 in the FL5 and NOB did a 1:18.9 in the GRC RZ.
Been waiting for an impression from Taniguchi or Tsuchiya. I think you have to take lap times with a grain of salt. Far too many variables to make any meaningful conclusions, such as weather, driver, whether it was a representative lap, tire compounds, etc.

The RZ vs. Morizo lap times are almost certainly down to tire compound. If the RZ had Cup 2s, it'd definitely be much closer.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2003 Toyota Celica GT
51 Posts

I'm a little worried for the synchros on second and third at this point. Especially after the track days at Utah from awhile ago where one car had it, and now NOB was grinding it too, I guess this is one of those cars that just don't want to be hurried into second or third. Doesn't seem like an issue on the Morizo though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Been waiting for an impression from Taniguchi or Tsuchiya. I think you have to take lap times with a grain of salt. Far too many variables to make any meaningful conclusions, such as weather, driver, whether it was a representative lap, tire compounds, etc.

The RZ vs. Morizo lap times are almost certainly down to tire compound. If the RZ had Cup 2s, it'd definitely be much closer.
Probably have to wait for Best Motoring/Hot Version to do a track battle, the RZ, Morizo and the FL5 CTR with Orido, Taniguchi and Tsuchiya, IMO that would be really fun to watch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Straight up, with the arm rests gate and now dual climate gate....I think we don't know shit until someone rolls off the lot with it. This is exhausting.
At this point I feel like it's going to be production roulette. One batch will have armrests and no dual climate control, the next will have dual climate but no armrests, etc lol. What a mess.

·
Registered
2008 FJ 2020 RAV4 Hybrid 2017 Focus RS
578 Posts
At this point I feel like it's going to be production roulette. One batch will have armrests and no dual climate control, the next will have dual climate but no armrests, etc lol. What a mess.
Vehicles with dual climate control... Maybe it'll be included with a package? cold weather package? 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
154 Posts
Found this interesting on the type r forum

savagegeese
First NameSavagegeeseJoinedNov 11, 2022Threads2Messages40Reaction score295LocationILCar(s)FL5 Type R
Yesterday at 1:10 PM
To

To be fair to the Corolla it was basically vaporware when it launched. Toyota barely even got the press cars for the event and few were really early pre production cars. Not even enough cars for all the people there to drive and the track config they had us on was so nerf. You could go foot to the floor 90% of the time I had to purposely force it to get completely loaded up at high speed (80MPH)and lift off to get it oversteer. It was a car that was very understeer prone in every mode in fast driving.

I said to Toyota what the F is with all your marketing, like the Larry Chen videos of that thing power drifting, because that's nothing that car ever does. You can't break rear end loose on any dry pavement under power. The chief engineer basically said the Yaris was the fun short wheel base car that you can flick around and it rotates. The Corolla because it's longer, larger the goal was safety, stability and ease to drive.

So while it has AWD which in my approximation makes it an amazing all season car if you got it for 35k. That's the MAX I'd pay for it. It feels more like a shit box compared to the Type R. The seats are flimsy the interior is very dated right now and the human and cargo capacity make it a harder sell as a primary fun car. Again at 35k sure. But when you push 45k no way.

I drove all the versions of the Corolla. The Akio version was the best on track, (tires, stiffness etc.) But after driving it for 30 min I was over it. The other big thing that kills it for me is while 3 cyl sounds better than Type R. Engine power fell off big time with heat soak and was not eager to rev to redline like K20.

Is the Type R 10k better than Corolla, yes. But, I could see GR being a blast in winter and bad weather where the Type R will always be FWD with no manual parking brake like Corolla.

I'll be very honest but this guy comes off super biased, and kind of like a dick. He straight up called the core edition the "poverty spec". I think the whole idea of the car was to be a fun Hot hatch type. Do I think $40k IS ALOT to spend on a Corrolla kinda. But its shit like what he said that now makes me think "hey is this a good idea"? Or no? Hes super dry and cynical in every review he does btw. Not a fan and his distaste seems rather biased more then anything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll be very honest but this guy comes off super biased, and kind of like a dick. He straight up called the core edition the "poverty spec". I think the whole idea of the car was to be a fun Hot hatch type. Do I think $40k IS ALOT to spend on a Corrolla kinda. But its shit like what he said that now makes me think "hey is this a good idea"? Or no? Hes super dry and cynical in every review he does btw. Not a fan and his distaste seems rather biased more then anything.
You can tell the event Toyota organized left a very bad taste in his mouth. Not enough cars for them all, incomplete prototypes, heat-soaked cars, etc. That seems to have spoiled the experience for him and is probably the reason for such a negative take.

Reactions: turb0 and mdp5094

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can tell the event Toyota organized left a very bad taste in his mouth. Not enough cars for them all, incomplete prototypes, heat-soaked cars, etc. That seems to have spoiled the experience for him and is probably the reason for such a negative take.

Completely agree. He seems too directly biased though. Im not saying it had to have been all rosey and positivie. But the fact that he is downgrading it so badly is just off-putting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Completely agree. He seems too directly biased though. Im not saying it had to have been all rosey and positivie. But the fact that he is downgrading it so badly is just off-putting.
Oh yeah, there's definitely some bias there. He is literally buying a new Type R. He is also the only truly negative take on the car that I have seen anywhere thus far.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
Oh yeah, there's definitely some bias there. He is literally buying a new Type R. He is also the only truly negative take on the car that I have seen anywhere thus far.
lol last time I will say this, he’s not the only one who has expressed the negatives of the car or the event. Before the event in many Q&A’s he was pretty excited for the car. He’s just the only one blatantly saying it. Take that as you will.

Guff has agreed with him on alot of things, same with Jack (was trying to buy one), Throttle House has agreed with them so on. It’s a topic of integrity.

I see y’all ignoring me continuing the whole “he’s bias” thing. Nobody said a word during first ridealongs where the media was blatantly lying though. 🥱

·
Registered
578 Posts
Which is honestly surprising to me. It was a hot day at the press drive, but many were enjoying it and were in good spirits (as much as I could tell). Lots of buzz for sure. The Engineering Explained guy was loving it, he was doing lap after lap in the GRC. Larry Chen seemed to really enjoy it as well. Can't please everyone I guess.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You should watch his review on the Focus RS, SO bitter towards it :ROFLMAO: it really offended me the first time I watched it, most of what he says carries weight but man once he's negative it doesn't stop.

621 - 640 of 683 Posts