Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
301 - 320 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
Current: '16 4Runner, '21 CX-5; Past: '14 S4, '07 Cooper S Conv, '02 4Runner, '95 FZJ80, '75 FJ40
38 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised how much Jason went on about the Veloster N.
As an owner I can vouch for him, everything he said is true, the Veloster N is a great hot hatch, much more fun to drive than the Civic Type-R, even if it's not as quick.
I'm going to miss my quirky, performance blue 3-door, and that active exhaust makes the car more engaging to drive.
Looking forward to the awd system of the GRC.
Just curious, why are you getting rid of the VN?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems like the Morizo edition, with its suspension tweaks and increased rear spring rate, hints at what is possible with the aftermarket on the GRC chassis. Once people start throwing better shocks/springs, sway bars, and less grippy tires I'm sure the chassis will be significantly more playful. That being said, those are costly mods to do to a brand new $40k car. I hope some of the Morizo tweaks trickle down to a more affordable/readily available trim GRC at some point.

·
Registered
Current: '16 4Runner, '21 CX-5; Past: '14 S4, '07 Cooper S Conv, '02 4Runner, '95 FZJ80, '75 FJ40
38 Posts
Ironically Topher and SavageGeese said the N products are more fun to drive. Lmao
I believe it. I only drove the Veloster N for about 30 mins 2.5 years ago, and it's still probably the most fun car I've ever driven. I just couldn't make the 3-door thing work with 2 kids. I'd probably be in an Elantra N by now, but the dealers are just utter shite. Even before all the ADM, every dealer I visited treated me like garbage when I wanted a test drive. And I've heard service is terrible.

This was all before there was any real hope of a GR Yaris-adjacent car hitting our shores. I've been a Toyota guy for 20 years, so it's nice that they've offered a solution for me. :)

·
Registered
'09 335i, '22 Veloster N
13 Posts
I believe it. I only drove the Veloster N for about 30 mins 2.5 years ago, and it's still probably the most fun car I've ever driven. I just couldn't make the 3-door thing work with 2 kids. I'd probably be in an Elantra N by now, but the dealers are just utter shite. Even before all the ADM, every dealer I visited treated me like garbage when I wanted a test drive. And I've heard service is terrible.

This was all before there was any real hope of a GR Yaris-adjacent car hitting our shores. I've been a Toyota guy for 20 years, so it's nice that they've offered a solution for me. :)
Sounds like you're set on the GRC, but just in case you do end up going after an Elantra N and are willing to travel, then try Hallmark Hyundai in Flowood, Mississippi. We flew out and got our VN from them at the beginning of this month after putting a deposit down in June. Picked us up at the airport and had us in and out in about an hour and half. They said they actually don't mark up any of their vehicles while we were there. I'm with you on service though... even with 3 yr/36k miles complimentary maintenance included I'd just as soon do it myself.

Now I just need the GRC so we can have em side by side.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just curious, why are you getting rid of the VN?
Not 100% sure I'm going to trade it in.
The Veloster N to me is the most fun hot hatch I've ever owned/driven.
I test drove the N and Type-R on the same day, and much preferred the N.
The R I drove had the infamous 3rd gear crunch which really turned me off.
The biggest negative with the N is understeer when you push it hard.
Also when accelerating from a standstill it has horrible wheel hop in cold or dump conditions, the whole car shakes like crazy.
In the wet under hard acceleration I get lots of wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.
I'm hoping the awd system of the GR will rectify
these issues.
Thus is why I'm hoping someone who gets their GR early can

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems like the Morizo edition, with its suspension tweaks and increased rear spring rate, hints at what is possible with the aftermarket on the GRC chassis. Once people start throwing better shocks/springs, sway bars, and less grippy tires I'm sure the chassis will be significantly more playful. That being said, those are costly mods to do to a brand new $40k car. I hope some of the Morizo tweaks trickle down to a more affordable/readily available trim GRC at some point.
We'll have to see once people start playing with them, but I'm thinking just a stiffer rear sway bar is going to be enough to wake up the tail of the car for those who want to go a little more sideways. The tires are just standard PS4's, shouldn't be too hard to overcome rear grip without downgrading them. I'm also curious what can be done to the dynamics just by tweaking the alignment on these things.

·
Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
128 Posts
I'm more surprised Kirk Kreifels chose to not go when he followed basically the entire saga.
Others noticed some time ago that he said he had important things to do like review some new crossovers and stuff. It seems he's deliberately trying to be the wet blanket or contrarian or tone down the hype or something? IDK.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
252 Posts
I'm more surprised Kirk Kreifels chose to not go when he followed basically the entire saga.
He even posted a negative video about the GR when pricing was revealed with the wording ”as much as $50K!” So yeah he’s a poop to us and I can only speculate as to why. None of the other youtubers complained about anything, Kirk was invited to all the events….Kirk just decided to be a poop to us after some info was leaked that sort of divulged what the entire year’s line-up would look like for new Toyota vehicle releases. My guess is that he was upset that the opportunity for him to get views from future speculation videos was reduced, but everyone else continued to make speculation videos, so seems kind of childish to me. Sad for me because he was, literally, my main go-to before, but I unsubscribed when he started this weird behavior.

·
Super Moderator
2,499 Posts
He even posted a negative video about the GR when pricing was revealed with the wording ”as much as $50K!” So yeah he’s a poop to us and I can only speculate as to why. None of the other youtubers complained about anything, Kirk was invited to all the events….Kirk just decided to be a poop to us after some info was leaked that sort of divulged what the entire year’s line-up would look like for new Toyota vehicle releases. My guess is that he was upset that the opportunity for him to get views from future speculation videos was reduced, but everyone else continued to make speculation videos, so seems kind of childish to me. Sad for me because he was, literally, my main go-to before, but I unsubscribed when he started this weird behavior.
Like I said he already hinted on what the drive was like. Probably stopped caring after that. AutomotivePress guessed the driving characteristics spot on before anyone even went to Utah. 😂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Toyota dropped a video 20hrs ago. Didn't know if it should go here or in dealer updates. Video comes off as a dealer promo ad overall imo.

There they go showing off that lack of an armrest again. It is my understanding that Canada will be getting an armrest, but no confirmation on the US? Seems like such a petty thing to worry about, but my last car without an armrest wasn't great for road trips.

Reactions: mdp5094

·
Registered
253 Posts
There they go showing off that lack of an armrest again. It is my understanding that Canada will be getting an armrest, but no confirmation on the US? Seems like such a petty thing to worry about, but my last car without an armrest wasn't great for road trips.
If an armrest exists, at least that means there will be a part number for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I completely agree, and to all the big strong ppl on this forum that will crucify you and I about "STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE LACK OF ARMREST", some people care about those things, and on a $40k car to not come with it? Is pure nonsense that it doesn't have one. But who knows, fingers crossed it does wind up getting one. But now that its on the official toyota marketing video, it seems less and less likely :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
I completely agree, and to all the big strong ppl on this forum that will crucify you and I about "STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE LACK OF ARMREST", some people care about those things, and on a $40k car to not come with it? Is pure nonsense that it doesn't have one. But who knows, fingers crossed it does wind up getting one. But now that its on the official toyota marketing video, it seems less and less likely :(
They back peddled on dual climate control too which is a bummer. It really seems like we're just paying for the bespoke AWD system at this point. The interior is pretty cheap looking. Since I'm in the South and don't need AWD the Elantra N keeps getting more and more appealing despite its ugliness. If the Elantra had adaptive cruise control and those 2.0 engines didn't have a history of failing I would've jumped ship by now.

301 - 320 of 439 Posts