Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 19 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Thread is back open.

Before you guys get extra excited and try to post something, look through here and see if it’s posted already.

And obviously post the reviews here and not make a whole new thread for one video, it’ll either added here or be deleted since it’s a repost.

Try to be objective looking at the reviews, these are exciting times but remember some reviews aren’t built like others!

This is it everybody have fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
really sad to see the circuit priced above the golf here in Canada :( I was so dang excited for this car but the golf is cheaper with a nicer interior. I feel myself slipping away. Someone, pull me back quickly!
Throttle house gave a great review, you couldn’t go wrong with either of them. Just comes down to what makes sense for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Yeah but the problem is that the golf R has no volume dial, which makes no sense in and of itself. Am I really okay with deciding the vehicle with haptic controls "makes sense to me"? 😵
What I mean yeah but that where you ask yourself if the price offset can justify haptics, especially since they perform similar

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I mean subaru killed the STI, but they might've canceled it out of fear of splitting the market with the GRC this year.
That’s already been talked about. STI was cancelled for this generations due to changing emissions. They damn near had it ready before axing it. Lol.

@Wynorrific, who works for Subaru called it before it was made official.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
The Drive. Funny, I was just talking about Kristen Lee in some other post here

Notable to me is how much praise the shifter gets here. Seems to be a common theme. This is a big thing for me, especially considering how I'm leaning toward the Type R whose shifting chops speak for themselves.

The Everyday Driver guys ragged on the seats not being adequate for track duty. She was pretty happy with them, but is also really small so...
Yeah but even on the throttle house review, they kind of expect the new Type R to be “better”

I think the car falls exactly where I thought it would, great option on the market.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
How exactly? In straightline racing, than yes I agree with you. But again, the GRC wasn't built to be a straightline car. It was built to be a fun streetcar that you can take to the local twisty track and be competitive.
But it's all subjective at this point. I'll take Toyota reliability and a better lap time over Euro unreliability and faster straightline performance any day of the week.
Yeah Listen everyone, the fact that the GRC is head to head with its competitors and not necessarily “better” is a good thing. This is Toyota’s first in house project in a long time. Toyota not Lexus.

They came out and made a car with Toyota personality that can rival some of the best cars that have been out for awhile. That’s a win. It may not be head and shoulders above like people wanted but it doesn’t matter, it’s all preference

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I have a decent amount of time on this exact track that they're all driving (UMC) in multiple Subarus. The way they're describing the cornering character, chassis feel, understeer, etc of the core / CE is almost identical to how a stock STI behaves on this track. The good news is this is super easy to fix with coilovers and / or a rear sway bar. The ME looks like how my STI drives with these mods and it's very balanced.
They used a STI as a benchmark so it’s not surprising it has some characteristics

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I watched almost all the videos (saving some for when I'm home on a bigger screen), but overall I am impressed and excited. Everything sounds great to me, without much negative, if at all in my eyes.

The comparison to similar cars in this range was inevitable, but none were leaps and bounds above the GRC, even according to their opinions and estimates. It was mainly preferences and a few metrics they were pulling from.

Things like the rear end not sliding as much is probably more attributed to the sticky tires, than the car's inability to do so.

Plus if you REALLY are trying to get sideways, tell me why the GRC was your #1 choice over a GR86.

The age-old... "I wish they would have done more here or there...", would have been met with cries of cost. We already have people saying $36,9XX MSRP is too high... and some people want more power, better seats, etc., etc. This thing would cost $45,000 for the Core and this place would have imploded.

All in all... I can't wait!
36k for a Corolla with no LSDs is pretty crazy, especially since the package is only 1k. I have a feeling lsds will become standard in upcoming years.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I can see your argument, it does make sense given how low that package costs. I would take a guess they are testing the market for what enthusiasts want. If every GRC is leaving the factory with LSDs, they will most likely cut down their configuration needs and just put the cold weather and tech as the only available options. Which makes sense to me.
Yup I agree. Other then that the GRC is in perfect position.

1 - 19 of 51 Posts