Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed on the initial reviews though I'll wait for more comparisons. I'm less inclined to sell the Focus RS now and maybe wait a couple of years to get one instead.
If I still had my RS, I‘d be 100% with you. In your situation, I’d definitely wait it out and for hype to die down. Who knows what changes GR will make to this car in year 2 or 3 based on reviews, feedback, etc. They could dial out understeer, add the ME TQ, make the better seats available on the core, as well as offering more colors for our market.

I’m overall a little disappointed with the drivetrain coming from the RS as I could oversteer that thing in drift on track, twisty roads, rain, snow, name it. The Twinster is still the best AWD system to be put on anything in this class. It was just the motor for me that did the RS in and why I sold it.

Overall, the reviews have mild-ed me out some but I’m still sticking with the GRC. But after today I want the exact trim and color I want (HM CE) and don’t think I will take a core or another color now. I’m happy to wait for what I want. I’ve been saving and saving so an elongated wait the Supra may be a possibility as will put 50% down no matter what I buy. And the 86 is starting to look like a great fail safe, even if RWD. The cost of the 86 would leave me a heap of $ to modify it and while will not be as capable in bad weather, the cold, etc, the price makes up for that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a decent amount of time on this exact track that they're all driving (UMC) in multiple Subarus. The way they're describing the cornering character, chassis feel, understeer, etc of the core / CE is almost identical to how a stock STI behaves on this track. The good news is this is super easy to fix with coilovers and / or a rear sway bar. The ME looks like how my STI drives with these mods and it's very balanced.
I have driven it as well at the RSAA. We need more tracks, different altitudes, etc. I mean UMP is 3rd gear for most of the lap with the occasional shift to 4th. I beat the RS senseless on UMP, in track and drift (which was not allowed, sue me) and while it’s better than my local tracks in terms of surface quality (my pavement here is garbage), they will test the GRC at other tracks. And that will provide more intel. And I want to see tests in the wet (pouring, not damp) and the snow this winter.

We are all in a hurry up and wait no matter what. Jeonsa said something that is extremely relevant. This is the first all Toyo (no Subaru, or BMW involvement) performance variant in many years and to me they have delivered a competitive car. Anyone expecting a world beater was just unrealistic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The lack of movement was one of the biggest criticisms people had with the GRY. The car is so set that you have to drive it incredibly hard to unsettle it. Which on public roads at normal speeds can make the car seem uneventful.
I watched the Malaysian Rally Driver hammer the GRY on a wet mountain, and that told me all I needed about the drivetrain. He was as ham fisted as they get and I’m pretty bad on a track, beating whatever I’m in senseless.. I’m no Rally Driver or Johnny RaceCar but I have spent a lot of time on track and in bad weather. Ultimately that’s the biggest concern for me. Inclement weather performance. Dry performance can be fixed and custom tailored to your driving preference with modifications. This is the tuner’s class. Sway bars, Ohlins/Bilsteins, a tune, and this thing will fly, and stick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Review

Another review saying it could use more power at 16:33
Many here knew this 6 months ago because we have followed the GRY for years now. It’s not a surprise and the aftermarket is your friend. Having owned a STi, a RS and driven many EVO’s in all states of tune/mods, the GRC is made to be modified. The GRY is a 5.5 to 60mph car. A very realistic figure. Bettering that time to 60 means a big clutch dump which is no good for the clutch or drivetrain. So have no fears. Aftermarket, this G16 will rip. It’s been proven to take large increases in power.

Now if you’re an OEM/warranty only person, yeah that isn’t a “fast” car, it’s a “quick” car. The GRC is a sum of its parts vehicle. What you give way in terms of acceleration you gain in AWD traction, inclement weather handling, and bending corners via multiple lines. Those who want a straight line monster, would be better serviced with something else, RWD with 400+ HP.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yo, why you gotta be so reasonable and thoughtful in your insight? Why can't you let the people rage? Lol

I'm an OEM guy, happy with what I saw.
I’m not trying to ruffle feathers by any means. I’m just offering a healthy spoon of reality. This class of car nothing has ever “ripped” in a straight line. Not the STi, EVO, RS, or even the Golf R with the 6MT with the caveat being the Mk7, 7.5, or 8 R with the DSG. Now you could give that a “rip” badge, maybe. But a high HP RWD car will still probably smack it in a straight line if highway pulls are your goal. And the new CTR will probably win against the GRC in a straight line also. In fact if that’s what you’re after the CTR is gonna be there for you so everyone has options.

I like the all weather performance and prefer it to RWD or FWD though. And the aftermarket will be there for this car in due time. Reliable 350, 375, and 400 whp will be achievable for those of us who enjoy making the cars our own and getting the most of them. My STi was not fast stock. But once it was stage 2 Cobb with TBE, intake and EBCS, it definitely “ripped”. I expect the same for the GRC. Getting the car to market is just half the battle. The more enjoyable portion of this entire thing is modifying it and getting acceleration, braking, and turning how I want it to. Bolts and tune will take care of acceleration. Sways and dampers will get it more oversteer prone as it’s obvious from the reviews the car was setup for safety just like the GRY.

Good times to come friends.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lmao it also “ripped” the reliability to pieces
Not mine. Never had an issue. Even my oil analysis had me swapping Amsoil at 10-12k miles. Subaru’s OEM tunes are not good and detonation can be a very very bad thing. My tune on mine was safer than stock. I tuned my GR at Cobb on their dyno and we didn’t go for max HP/TQ. We went with a very safe power increase under the curve. YMMV

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, Circuit will only be for MY2023. I've seen buzz from the media that Core production numbers will be lower than expected. I wonder if they are perhaps bolstering Circuit numbers? One can hope.
I said Circuit because we don’t know what the equivalent of it will be called in 2024.

Lord I hope you are correct sir. From a business case if Toyota was smart they’d analyze how many of us want CE’s and readjust production. CF isn’t scarce. And the CE is a license for them to print money via more profits. It’s like 5k more expensive than a loaded core and the CF roof, hood, seats, don’t cost them that. And there is not going to be any real world performance differences from a CE and a Core with the PP. Like every other car for decades, the more options, or up trim the more the vehicle mfr makes in profit. So it makes sense for them to produce more circuits. So many people want the trim and Toyo makes more money off them. Win, win.

The only thing I know for sure is with these consistent supply shortages, covid, etc, the traditional dealer model, sucks. Go back to that when lots are full of all sorts of automobiles, CUV’s, SUV’s, trucks. Traditional dealer model is fine when the consumer has the ability to negotiate. Negotiation has been taken away almost completely right now for the past 18-24 months. If you’re gonna stick everyone for MSRP then be happy with that. Outlaw ADM, and tell your dealers they will not be shipped product to sell if they do it. And give the customer the option to order their car and wait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Golf R is the car in class with all the creature comforts. Dual zone climate, rear vents, and I think it has both heated and cooled seats, as well as a heated steering wheel. And I know it has a much better audio system, and interior features. Go buy that. It’s a much more luxurious car. I’m getting a GRC but you are losing much of anything going with the Golf R. The EA888 is a proven, really incredible power plant that takes to mods extremely well. You have the choice of 6MT or DSG if you are going to use it for commuting.

You also have the all new CTR.

You’ve got choices. The GRC is not the only thing in class. Each offering has its own unique merits and they are all great cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
He's going to post it soon. Been working hard on it for awhile because he didn't want it to be a straight up pov video.
He is very detailed, and has sick Toyota historical knowledge. Easy to tell he wants his video to be polished, well thought out etc. I can wait for it. All these guys race each other to upload first but EE didn’t and his has been outstanding and one of the very best along with Throttle House. Those two have been my favorite two and I’m sure our resident forum member’s will be in that top 3 when completed. Some people are up in arms about more videos, etc, dude, they ain’t delivering the car in a week or even a month. Have some patience :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah he’s trying to do it justice for sure. All I’m going to say it’s a proper love letter to Toyota’s sports cars as well as the Corolla legacy.
There have been a couple videos so far, if you can read between the lines GRC > 86/Supra because 100% Toyota. The message is already there if you can find it. I’m sure his will make this easier for folks. I’m stoked to be getting this car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah for sure. I’m excited too, it’s definitely Toyota returning back to form.

like every other legendary Toyota…

this car has the engine, fun factor (not outright performance), motorsport, and will have the personal stories I believe.
They just better not release a lighter weight Celica All-Trac coupe with the same drivetrain, diffs, and engine. I’ll lose it! :D That’s only because I’ll be broke as I will be buying both. Someone call me a paramedic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love it, I think the more they distinguish the drive from a Yaris, the better it will be in the long run. The bones are there for some pretty cool builds from everyone.
Same. After owning the RS, I wish the rotation was better but I know the afterrmarket will solve. Stiffer springs in the rear with some Ohlins, stiffer sways. I can’t wait. I’m actually happy it doesn’t have adjustable dampers. On the RS those were crap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Set the dampers of the RS into sport mode and feel the pogo 😂. I'm glad the GRC's stock suspension setup is at least good enough, without the weird front stiff, rear soft setup of the STI or the harsh ride of the RS or the soft and wobbly setup of the Golf R. Plus not having adaptive dampers means suspension modifications will be dead straight foward.
Agreed. The RS was a lot better with the DSC so I didn’t mean to cane it. It still is the best chassis in the segment I’ve owned and remains one of the funnest if not the funnest cars I have owned. And it was always fine in the first of two suspension settings for cornering. But put it in sport, and do not put the dampers back into normal, oh my. Yeah it could rattle your teeth on road or circuit.

Like you said, not having adaptive dampers will make this easier and less expensive. I have found in the past if you set up suspension correctly it’s good most anywhere and works until you are trying to really drive at 10/10ths and extract the best possible lap time out of it which you are making adjustments and they can be a dark hole. The rest of us will mod it, get it right, and that’s that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Joke all you want but it's ridiculous that we get one fewer cylinder and it's more expensive. Should be 3/4 the price
How do you figure that? And I was being serious, wasn’t joking. I thought I’d missed some news about an AWD version or something. So people compare interiors but not drive systems? I don’t understand that. AWD costs more money. Diffs cost even more money.

Cylinders do not matter either. The G16 delivers 300 HP. And can handle 500 whp in the aftermarket before the HG starts to lift. That’s a stout 3 cylinder. 3 cylinders mean it’s also a very compact engine which has big handling benefits on the front end. This was the case for the GRY and now the GRC also.

3/4 the price? So you think it should be 30k for the car, as a base? That’s crazy since it’s an all new car for our market and it’s being made in a world wide supply shortage where parts, chips, everything is at a premium price. No pandemic, yeah I’d bet $4k cheaper across all trims. All prices are up. I just read where the Mustang GT is up like 8k for this FMC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts