Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

GR Corolla Review Megathread

243K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  Cptnslo 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Few thoughts after watching the in depth review:
  • Dang that exhaust sounds good, it’s no Abarth or Hyundai N but definitely better than GRY or CTR
  • Piano black bothers me a good bit. Will be looking into getting that wrapped with something that won’t scratch so easily
  • The amount of dead space around the infotainment is a bit bothersome. Almost looks like a 9” screen could fit there or may even be offered in the future.
  • Gauge cluster looks really nice. Happy to see someone play with it and that’s definitely a piece of tech that makes it stand out in this class
  • Looks like it has the same cup holders in the rear doors the standard Corolla has. Definitely hilarious to see a car with 5 seats have 8 cup holders
  • Rear cargo space is the same unlike others thought it’d be compromised. Missing the spare isn’t shocking this day in age
As for the final question? Golf R doesn’t even hold a candle.

#11 ·
Few thoughts after watching the in depth review:
  • Dang that exhaust sounds good, it’s no Abarth or Hyundai N but definitely better than GRY or CTR
  • Piano black bothers me a good bit. Will be looking into getting that wrapped with something that won’t scratch so easily
  • The amount of dead space around the infotainment is a bit bothersome. Almost looks like a 9” screen could fit there or may even be offered in the future.
  • Gauge cluster looks really nice. Happy to see someone play with it and that’s definitely a piece of tech that makes it stand out in this class
  • Looks like it has the same cup holders in the rear doors the standard Corolla has. Definitely hilarious to see a car with 5 seats have 8 cup holders
  • Rear cargo space is the same unlike others thought it’d be compromised. Missing the spare isn’t shocking this day in age
As for the final question? Golf R doesn’t even hold a candle.
While the exhaust doesn't particularly excite me, I'm with you on all the other points.

I do wish we got a spare. I've got a full size spare on the ST and it's just nice to know that if something happens, I'm prepared. Glad to see the cup holders sit fairly low. If I put a 20oz water bottle in my cup holder, I can't shift properly. Doesn't look like that'll be a problem here.

Overall, I like the interior. The bolstering on the seating looks a good bit less aggressive than the ST3 Recaro seats, which I'm totally fine with, and the interior looks like a nice place to be. I don't hate manual adjustments, since they don't break as much and take up less space. As a tall guy, the more headroom the better.

I'm also happy to have usable rear seats.

As for Raiti's prediction on pricing similar to the Golf R... I'd be hard pressed to believe it. The Golf R is a more luxury vehicle, with nicer features and a more "German Luxury" style. The Corolla is a driver's car with all the creature comforts of modern economy cars, plus a bell or two.

Will it beat a Golf R in a head on race? Who knows. With the DSG, the Golf probably wins. Will it be more fun to drive than the overly refined, super comfy Golf R? Hell no.

Reactions: JTBros
#23 ·
Just watched this video and I highly recommend others to as well. It’s not sexy or anything like that vs others but the true nerdery is there. Can be a bit hard to understand but I always laud people who can speak multiple languages. Love seeing these guys talk about their passion projects and hope we get more interviews like this in the future.

#15 ·
Honestly I think that the red just doesn't photograph well. The types of contour details that the GRC has often don't get captured correctly by cameras even if they end up standing out to the naked eye. This is especially true on really bold colors and really reflective surfaces, which both come together on the red GRC. But I bet it'll look snappy as all hell in person.

#27 ·
Those are the numbers for year one yes? As far as I know, the GRC will be sold in USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, and NZ. If those are the only markets these will be sold in, I'd say the distribution of these numbers are pretty decent. USA would probably get 50-60% of those numbers, while the rest gets divvied up between the smaller markets. Still, these aren't going to sit at dealers in today's climate.

#28 ·
If we go by the Road and Track article interviewing Toyota Vice President of Marketing (of North America) Mike Tripp, I would say those numbers are specific for North America. The 1500 makes a lot of sense if we take this quote at face value:

""When it comes to something that's this niche, it's important to us that we give every dealer the opportunity to get one," Tripp said. "So if you do the math—and this is no guarantee—if we have a special edition for every dealer, that's 1250-ish. "

The USA has about 12xx Toyota dealerships. Canada has 2xx. That would roughly make up the 1500 number.

TLDR: I don't think the numbers are worldwide numbers, but North America numbers (so distribution shouldn't be too limited at all if you're okay with the Core version)

#30 ·
I just watched that video too. Definitely encouraged to hear the numbers. I honestly think I’m just going to get a Core with the performance package and I live in major city so I don’t think it’s going to be THAT hard to get my hands on one of these. Fingers crossed…