Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
321 - 340 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Volkswagen GTI
103 Posts
As a Canadian I am super dissapointed with pricing. I am still heavily leaning towards the Circuit because it is a more "special" car in terms of exclusivity, but it also has things that I like that it comes from factory with.

HOWEVER, the price differences are WACK af. If a fully loaded core gets offered to me it will be harder to say no to. I was a firm believer that the Circuit would be closer to Golf R pricing as it is in the US, but how is it that a CE is cheaper than a Golf R in the US and more than a Golf R in Canada when they are spec'd exactly the same? I have a lot to ponder about. I'll still get a GR regardless, but I don't know which one yet anymore. $11K price difference from the US model for a car like this is insane.

·
Registered
2010 Tundra, 2018 Honda CTR, 2018 Tesla Performance Model 3, 2021 Tesla Model Y, GR Corolla deposit
16 Posts
Based on the news release:

Toyota Canada comes and strike again with their "affordable" pricing! Canadians are getting shafted as the spread between USD and CAD and the various editions. $8K for the CE when it is mostly cosmetic, no one will ever be able to sell the CE for $8K more even in 6 years. Since these are allocated and not going to be factory ordered, I guess our choices of options are NIL. The only good thing is LSD is included.

I guess this will sway me towards the 2023+ CTR with better interior and cargo space.
If you haven’t put a deposit on a 2023+ CTR and aren’t within the top 3 reservations on the list, you will not be able to get a CTR. There are only 546 CTR’s coming to Canada for the entire FL5 platform according to a Honda Canada info leak. I tried putting a deposit down after calling a few dealers back in early Spring and dealers were either not taking any more deposits for reservations or they already had over a dozen deposits. High volume dealers will be lucky to get one allocated each year of FL5 production. Expect the FL5 CTR harder to get than a GRC CE.

In the meantime, I’m in no rush to pay ADM for a FL5 or GRC and will enjoy my 2018 FK8 CTR until it’s my turn for a GRC.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As a Canadian I am super dissapointed with pricing. I am still heavily leaning towards the Circuit because it is a more "special" car in terms of exclusivity, but it also has things that I like that it comes from factory with.

HOWEVER, the price differences are WACK af. If a fully loaded core gets offered to me it will be harder to say no to. I was a firm believer that the Circuit would be closer to Golf R pricing as it is in the US, but how is it that a CE is cheaper than a Golf R in the US and more than a Golf R in Canada when they are spec'd exactly the same? I have a lot to ponder about. I'll still get a GR regardless, but I don't know which one yet anymore. $11K price difference from the US model for a car like this is insane.
The problem is not GRC pricing in Canada, its that Golf R pricing is significantly lower for Canada than US once you figure in exchange rates. with current exchange rates you are currently getting the GRC cheaper than the US.
43,000 United States Dollar = 56,696.58

·
Registered
2010 Tundra, 2018 Honda CTR, 2018 Tesla Performance Model 3, 2021 Tesla Model Y, GR Corolla deposit
16 Posts
The problem is not GRC pricing in Canada, its that Golf R pricing is significantly lower for Canada than US once you figure in exchange rates. with current exchange rates you are currently getting the GRC cheaper than the US.
That is true for the Golf R on paper, but in reality local dealers are selling the Golf R’s with ADM and listing the MK8 for over $55K CAD and some even $70K before taxes and fees. People will be waiting a while for Golf R’s at MSRP. If you can find one with no ADM that would be a win.
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Software

·
Registered
50 Posts
Keep in mind that we also have a higher sales tax. Highest sales tax state in USA is California at 7.25%. But in Canada its Nova Scotia at 15%, Quebec is 14.975% and Ontario at 13%.

Manufacturers definitely factor that into their pricing when it comes to Canada because the higher tax will reduce our purchasing power.

USA GR Corolla CE price (with California tax of 7.25%): $43995 x 1.0725 = $47184 USD

CAN GR CE price (with NS tax of 15%): $53990 x 1.15 = $62088 CAD

$47184 USD = $62174 CAD in today's conversion rates (1.32)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep in mind that we also have a higher sales tax. Highest sales tax state in USA is California at 7.25%.
State tax is only one piece of our sales tax. In my zip code, I also pay sales tax for the city and county separately on top of the state tax. So while my state tax rate is 4%, my effective sales tax rate on car purchases in 8.5%.

·
Registered
2011 Volkswagen GTI
103 Posts
I get it, but pricing isn't usually based on conversion, but on market. The question is that how can VW churn the same car with probably same profit margins and reasonable pricing while Toyota had this discrepancy. It's more food for thought than anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get it, but pricing isn't usually based on conversion, but on market. The question is that how can VW churn the same car with probably same profit margins and reasonable pricing while Toyota had this discrepancy. It's more food for thought than anything.
Really hard to know all the factors. VW might be taking less profit to draw folks into dealers where they sell them a GTI instead. R could be benefitting from cross-brand cost sharing (Audi S3 absorbs more development cost because it’s a higher profit vehicle?). Maybe factory labour is cheaper in Germany than Japan. Maybe Toyota is greedy. Who knows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe Toyota is greedy. Who knows.
Bingo! Because the top is, it cultivates their dealers to be able to do the same.

I still don't get it why Toyota doesn't get it. Their dealers and their questionable practices are hurting their brand loyalty. If "kaizen" is inbred into their car manufacturing processes, maybe time to apply it to the distribution channel. Let's get the cars to the people who appreciates driving, not a garage display or commodity.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
452 Posts
A heads up if you weren't already aware- If you plan on financing a GRC, get it taken care of ASAP. I'm not familiar with the allocation process so someone else can chime in, but I imagine dealerships will give you a heads up and then you can start your loan application once you have a VIN. Most loan applications can stay open for 30 days without having to pull a new credit report, some financial institution can keep it active for 60 days.

I work in mortgages and we're expecting 7% interest rates (possibly higher) by the end of the year, and auto loans will continue to climb as well. Once inflation levels out and if we don't enter a recession rates should drop back down, but the timing is far from ideal if you are financing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A heads up if you weren't already aware- If you plan on financing a GRC, get it taken care of ASAP. I'm not familiar with the allocation process so someone else can chime in, but I imagine dealerships will give you a heads up and then you can start your loan application once you have a VIN. Most loan applications can stay open for 30 days without having to pull a new credit report, some financial institution can keep it active for 60 days.

I work in mortgages and we're expecting 7% interest rates (possibly higher) by the end of the year, and auto loans will continue to climb as well. Once inflation levels out and if we don't enter a recession rates should drop back down, but the timing is far from ideal if you are financing.
I have also worked in mortgage. One correction, credit reports are valid for 120 days. Not sure how long people will keep your application or approval for (usually 30 days), but the credit report itself is valid for a lot longer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have also worked in mortgage. One correction, credit reports are valid for 120 days. Not sure how long people will keep your application or approval for (usually 30 days), but the credit report itself is valid for a lot longer.
The type of report pulled for mortgages that's correct, but a different FICO is pulled for auto/credit card/personal loans that expires in 30 days unless renewed and then it's valid for 60. I don't recall the exact type but mortgages utilize FICO Score 2 and autos use FICO Score 9. Something along those lines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The type of report pulled for mortgages that's correct, but a different FICO is pulled for auto/credit card/personal loans that expires in 30 days unless renewed and then it's valid for 60. I don't recall the exact type but mortgages utilize FICO Score 2 and autos use FICO Score 9. Something along those lines.
TIL! Good to know. It's kinda sad that dealers and lenders will close out the app before the report expires, but I get it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
TIL! Good to know. It's kinda sad that dealers and lenders will close out the app before the report expires, but I get it.
It is, but it's easy to get a crowded queue of applications. I worked with auto loans prior to mortgages, and it was wild how many people disregarded their applications. A lot of people start the process but once they leave it was so hard to get in contact with them again, which is wild cause a credit pull isn't something you should just brush off lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not a very good time to be financing a new car, as interest rates have jumped a lot in the last few months.
If I get an allocation I'll be trading in, and paying cash on the difference.
My pappy always said "never go into debt for anything other than buying a house."
All depends on your situation and the current market. Last year it wasn't bad at all to finance, we financed my wife's Rav4 Hybrid cause the rate was 2%. But you're not wrong, normally paying cash is most ideal unless you can get a better return on that cash elsewhere.

321 - 340 of 353 Posts