Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

General Q&A Thread: Get answers from owners of the car.

103K views 926 replies 136 participants last post by  samagon 
#1 · (Edited)
I was asked by one of our moderators to open up a general Q&A thread to try and group together the questions that people have for owners of the car.
The other new owners and I will do our best to answer any questions, picture requests, or whatever else you can think of.

Per the moderators, the only posts allowed in this thread will be questions, answers, and maybe additional context if appropriate. All off topic comments will be removed.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm 6ft and my knees are crammed into the back of the front seat with it in my normal driving position. Not ideal for road trips, but you can get around town comfortably. A car seat should fit fine.

Reactions: jdm-v35
#16 ·
I do the same. I've gotten about 275 miles per fill up doing this. Still in the break in period though.
I will say the fuel gauge stays on full for like 100 miles then drops like a rock all the way to empty. Really surprised me on my first tank. I thought I was getting fantastic mileage then it went from full to empty in like 120 miles lol.

#20 ·
For someone who is around 6ft tall and i assume normal leg length ( some of us have long legs ) how do you find the steering adjustment range in terms of telescoping close enough to you ?

For example, in the Gt86 I find its lacking for about 5cm or so to have that perfect driving position.
Hence they (aftermarket) developed a spacer to bring it closer.

Whereas in the new Supra the adjustment range is simply awesome.

I tried in both cars.

Thanks for your answer.

#22 · (Edited)
For someone who is around 6ft tall and i assume normal leg length ( some of us have long legs ) how do you find the steering adjustment range in terms of telescoping close enough to you ?

For example, in the Gt86 I find its lacking for about 5cm or so to have that perfect driving position.
Hence they (aftermarket) developed a spacer to bring it closer.

Whereas in the new Supra the adjustment range is simply awesome.

I tried in both cars.

Thanks for your answer.
I am the same height as you with long legs and wish the steering wheel telescoped back about an inch further. I have almost the perfect driving position.

Reactions: TheFalls
#28 ·
Plenty of leg room width. I've not been in a new Camry so I can't compare. Pedal spacing accommodates big feet which is good since I wear size 13 shoes.

Reactions: jdm-v35
#48 ·
Hey just a heads up folks:

After speaking with @Sparkko and other mods we've decided to more heavily moderate this thread to make sure we don't go off topic. This will ensure users (shout out to the lurkers and journalists browsing!) can browse the thread and get the answers they need without scrolling through pages of random jokes and rants.

So the only posts allowed in this thread will be answers, questions, and maybe additional context if appropriate. At some point we can compile a document of all the questions/answers in a single page for easier reading, but if someone wants to do that for me, I won't complain ;)

Thanks all!

#57 ·
I had to drive around a snowy parking lot last weekend on my summer tires. Didn't take much to lose grip lol
What are your impressions on hauling things/practicality in the GRC? For reference, I just wrapped up my 6-ft Christmas tree like a dead body to shove in the GTI and was able to get it in with about a foot of the top sticking between the driver's and passenger's seats.
Easily fit my snowboard and gear in the back with the seats down last weekend.

#51 ·
Another owner here
-I'm between 5'9" and 5'10" - sat behind the driver's seat after setting it to where I'm most comfortable, and had enough leg room. I've been in the back seat of cramped cars a lot though, over the years, so this feels pretty "normal" for me with leg room.

The horn is WEAK sauce. I beeped it the other day at some idiot that cut me off, and about LOL'd fr. There's a tiny little beep sound when locking/unlocking the car instead of a horn.

MPG is consistent with Sparkko's assessment. I've driven it a good mix of city/highway and get about 23MPG as a solid average. The gauge stays on F until it doesn't, then it nosedives. I got about 250 miles out of the first tank and filled it with about 50 miles left on the gauge. First tank was me also adjusting to the car a bit, so it's a little skewed in that regard, plus I let it warm up for 5-10 mins before I drive to let the motor come to temp. This kills MPG lol

I'm still getting used to sitting high with my legs bent more than being stretched out like in my A80, so my ankle has been getting a workout it's not used to.

This car picks up speed QUICK on the highway. You can hit 80-85 and not realize it bc it's so quiet. (minimal road noise)

The JBL speakers aren't amazing imo, but they do the job just fine.

Driving through the neighborhood at ~16MPH in 2nd, there's a nice growl from the exhaust. I love it.

I'm sitting at 297 miles on my odo, so I'm not even halfway into breaking it in yet. But the car meet I went to had people drooling all over it once they realized it wasn't a basic Corolla hatch lol

#52 ·
Another owner here

The horn is WEAK sauce. I beeped it the other day at some idiot that cut me off, and about LOL'd
That's at least theoretically an easy fix.

The JBL speakers aren't amazing imo, but they do the job just fine.
Do you think a sub would be a good addition?

Driving through the neighborhood at ~16MPH in 2nd, there's a nice growl from the exhaust. I love it.
I can hardly wait to hear that in person.

#54 ·
What are your impressions on hauling things/practicality in the GRC? For reference, I just wrapped up my 6-ft Christmas tree like a dead body to shove in the GTI and was able to get it in with about a foot of the top sticking between the driver's and passenger's seats.

#56 ·
I mean, we shoved a 8ish ft 2x4 into my wife's Fit and just had to cut a couple inches off the end to cram it in. Shit was all the way pressed to the glass, but fit good enough. The GRC will prob be similar. Just wrap it up well to keep messes to a minimum (if you care for it) and send it

#63 ·
I'm sure just the eyelid DRLs being on with no other lights is the default DRL appearance. The owner's manual says you can turn everything off. It also says the fog lights can only be operated with the headlights on low beam.

* I am not an owner yet so I haven't confirmed, but at least it's hopeful for turning off the DRLs if desired.

Font Material property Parallel Art Pattern

#61 ·
Another random question: for anyone that has the HomeLink frameless mirror, is it auto-dimming? It damned well better be if it's a $175 PIO that I don't want and my dealership says they can't change it.

#62 ·
Can anyone tell if the throttle pedal is double-hinged or only hinged at the top of the pedal box? One of my favorite little touches on the old WRX was that the pedal has an extra hinge right behind it at its center so as you push it to the floor it doesn't roll away from your foot like most top-hinged pedals; it's more comfortable to push.

Even if the GRC doesn't have this, how nice is the throttle pedal angle?

Is the optional shift knob leather-wrapped? (And do they give you the base shift knob too if you have the optional one? Might be wishful thinking...)

Is there anything that suggests a clutch delay valve? I find those very annoying...

#74 ·
I

I do not sense rev hang, after driving my friends 2016 wrx 2.0t and my old 2009 civic si, both of those cars had a TON of rev hang, I do not sense it much within this car. When you hustle it and shift, it responds well the revs seem to drop quickly, now not as quickly as say a freaking ferrari but I have not noticed it when compared to those other cars above.

#68 ·
Last question and then I'll quit monopolizing this thread: anyone take delivery and notice any problems with paint overspray or other correction needs? I plan on detailing and applying a ceramic coat day 1.

#70 ·
For me it feels very very tight and precise. Unlike you would expect a Toyota to feel in my opinion. In a good way!
IMO I would compare it closest to maybe a BMW in feel and precision.
But I would love to hear the opinions of other owners who have daily driven more than just clapped out trucks and economy cars like myself. Haha

#73 ·
For those living in harsh weather climates, how do you like the GR Four system? Coming from Subarus AWD system I can feel this is different and doesn’t feel as snug as my STi did in rain. I have the PP on mine; and it still just feels not quite as responsive. Example being at high way speeds in pouring rain; when you hit a puddle or small volume of water the wheel really jerks as the car looks for traction. My Subaru would never do this, I could do 80+ and the wheel would stay straight as I hammer through wet and slick road conditions.