Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
15 WRX, 15 Sienna, 23 GR86
95 Posts
If someone is truly chasing tenths or rallying, I would say that those are the ones who should buy the non-pp and then add aftermarket diffs that are suited for what they're doing.
Right on, your case is exactly what I had in mind, as far as what it would take to be able to appreciate the diffs. Repeated laps on a track and experience to be able to recognize when it's hooking up differently. Not that those characteristics can't come through in spirited driving, but it takes a lot.

Honestly I'm at the point where I'd want them just because I want them, especially at the price. I mean that's pretty much what getting a car like this boils down to anyway.

·
Registered
15 WRX, 15 Sienna, 23 GR86
95 Posts
I can definitely see where you’re coming from, but just from a resale point, it’s a big deal to have the performance pack. $1180 for the addition of front and rear diffs is honestly a good deal. It would cost multiples of that to do it aftermarket. You probably couldn’t get a single diff yet alone two installed for $1180 new.
No doubt. It'll hurt not to get them haha. Just offering words of comfort for those who want them but won't be tracking it and would keep the car long term. They will always hurt inside :cry:

·
Banned
452 Posts
I'm in Canada so luckily all our GRC's come with the lsd's.
Toyota should have made all North American GRC stock with the limited slip differentials.
Also, for the life of me I can't understand why Canada would get heated seats as standard equipment, but not a heated steering wheel.
Makes absolutely no sense at all.
Don't they know that Canada gets very cold in the winter?
Someone needs to inject a little common sense in Toyota's management team.
Completely clueless.

·
Registered
2008 FJ 2020 RAV4 Hybrid 2017 Focus RS
578 Posts
Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire said in a recent podcast with Jonny Lieberman that the ride quality of the Morizo edition reminded him of his old Focus RS. Likely due to increased spring rates and mono tube shocks in the Morizo. I'm guessing the normal GRC isn't as bad, but James from Throttle House said it's still quite stiff.
I'd be very surprised if the GRC is anywhere close to the RS on stiffness. I had an 18 RS which supposedly had softened springs, but it was still stiff enough that my wife would refuse riding in it. The RS needs 18s and different springs to be tolerable. Farah went the coilover route, which is about the only way to make it a good ride.

·
Banned
452 Posts
I'd be very surprised if the GRC is anywhere close to the RS on stiffness. I had an 18 RS which supposedly had softened springs, but it was still stiff enough that my wife would refuse riding in it. The RS needs 18s and different springs to be tolerable. Farah went the coilover route, which is about the only way to make it a good ride.
Believe it or not the suspension on my Ariel Atom was much more comfortable and compliant than my Focus RS, even though it had far less travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not been in the loop, has there been a comparison test between GRC and Focus RS?

I am anticipating that I won’t be able to test drive the Corolla before the dealer receives the check. How do I know if it’s better than my RS that I’ve enjoyed for 5 years?
Never buy a car you can't test drive. Dont give a damn what they say its a 40k-ish car

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Focus RS out of all the cars I've ever owned or test driven (thete have been a lot), has by a long way the harshest, most uncomfortable, most brutal, most jarring ride quality.
Shame because the rest of the car was pretty good, aside from the engines grenading.
Om hoping the GRC will have all the good qualities of the RS, without the horrible, obnoxious ride quality.
One other flaw with the RS was the very unusual front seat angles, your knees were so much higher than your butt.
RS Drivers seat angle was odd....fixed the seat rotating with a subaru clamp. Ride + bolsters was rough for a daily IMO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good luck with that! No way most dealers will allow a test drive. You can’t even find a plain old Corolla to test drive where I live. Everything is pre-sold before it arrives at the dealer. Crazy times!!
Yeah, all the GRCs will be pre-sold, and I doubt any dealer will let you drive one before you sign the paperwork.

·
Banned
452 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Focus RS out of all the cars I've ever owned or test driven (thete have been a lot), has by a long way the harshest, most uncomfortable, most brutal, most jarring ride quality.
Shame because the rest of the car was pretty good, aside from the engines grenading.
Om hoping the GRC will have all the good qualities of the RS, without the horrible, obnoxious ride quality.
One other flaw with the RS was the very unusual front seat angles, your knees were so much higher than your butt.
A friend of mine used to have one and I drove it down the Tail of the Dragon, immediately after driving my Cayman through it. I really really disliked the seating position of that car. And the ride was super harsh! Stiffer than the Cayman. Finally, I'd like to add that the exhaust pops when the car was in Sport (or performance, whatever) mode were annoying as hell. They were so artificially created, that they may as well had been actually fake.

GRC without LSDs is essentially a WRX with a 6k-7k markup.
Seems like a poor comparison IMO. Considerably more horsepower and WAY larger brakes put it in another class altogether from my eyes.

I won't get too into the details of what I did to come to that conclusion (experimenting with combinations of electronic aids on/off to see when brake-based "torque vectoring" was actually active as per a little HUD screen that reported it) but any diff-related remorse I felt for going WRX instead of STI was long gone by the time I drew my conclusions about the vectoring. The takeaway was you really need to be looking for tenths on a track or legitimately rallying for them to matter.

All of this is to say that if you find yourself faced with a PP-less allocation (LOL) and you don't plan to be competitive at the track, don't despair.
Any fake LSD that uses the brakes (esp for vectoring) is crap. It's good for the 8/10ths driver but that's about it. The last thing you want on track is a system that uses the brakes...when you're not slowing down. But as you mentioned you don't track, so its fine then.

Never buy a car you can't test drive. Dont give a damn what they say its a 40k-ish car
I've also adhered to this doctrine my entire life. Getting a CE will be the first time I buy a car without driving it. HOWEVER, given how limited this car will be in availability, in the eventuality that I for some reason hate the GRC, seems to me that it'll be easy to sell it for a profit. I'm not advocating the flip practice at all, but since none of us actually will have the chance to test drive them before purchase, I don't view this option as ill intentioned. Call it our safety net.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
153 Posts
Good luck with that! No way most dealers will allow a test drive. You can’t even find a plain old Corolla to test drive where I live. Everything is pre-sold before it arrives at the dealer. Crazy times!!
I imagine that it won't be difficult to find someone that has a GR C and get a ride along with them versus trying to get that done at the dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you can safely buy the GRC without test driving it if you're very familiar with Toyota products, and you generally agree with car review videos of other Toyotas you and they have driven. Because then, you're able to discern what they're talking about w.r.t. the clutch, suspension, transmission, and handling.

I'd never test driven the IS500 before I bought it but I had driven the GS F, RC F, LC500, and pretty much every other Lexus vehicle. I agreed with what reviewers said about those other cars, down to differences in feeling between model years. So I knew exactly what to expect after watching IS500 videos, and I still agree with most of their assessments to this day.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts