Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that while we were excitedly waiting for the GR Corolla to launch, a company called AutoTuner decrypted the Denso R7F701216 ECU and has full Read/Write access.

This is a huge deal because the GR Corolla should be using the same ECU, although it is always possible that the Corolla will get an updated revision that may have different encryption.

But, if it really is cracked out the gate, that means we can get fully featured tunes out the gate. Exciting!

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Oh hell yeah! One of my biggest hesitations was needing to buy a stand-alone ECU to tune the GRC. I mean, I'd have done it anyways, but I'll definitely take saving several grand on a new ECU.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
There's a company in the Ford scene that basically reverse engineered the stock tune, then added power while keeping a lot of the factory safety features, like adjusting power based on knock sensors and thing like that. Would love to see someone do that for the GRC, though that would be a long way down the road I'd think.

·
Registered
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2015 Edge Sport AWD
22 Posts
There's a company in the Ford scene that basically reverse engineered the stock tune, then added power while keeping a lot of the factory safety features, like adjusting power based on knock sensors and thing like that. Would love to see someone do that for the GRC, though that would be a long way down the road I'd think.
Lol, Tim. Yeah they are good safe tunes with more fun, but they aren't the balls out stuff from other tuners. One of the reasons I moved on from his tunes on my Bullitt. It's great for the mod shy crowd, not for people who wrench heavy, and pay to play.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Lol, Tim. Yeah they are good safe tunes with more fun, but they aren't the balls out stuff from other tuners. One of the reasons I moved on from his tunes on my Bullitt. It's great for the mod shy crowd, not for people who wrench heavy, and pay to play.
Great for folks still on stock turbo with just bolt ons. Hard to make more than 280whp on this tiny turd of a turbo. Lol.

Anyways. Hoping some of the major subby/Ford tuners pick this up. Would love to see Alan and Edge pick up the platform.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sleeves on the bottom end of this block are huge. Toyota claims the internals have been strengthened over the GRY, which should result in incredible tuning potential. I can’t wait for people to dyno this car. I have a feeling the claimed 300 crank hp is massively underrated.
It has to be. If they claim 300hp, that's the minimum it can make. And that's on 91. On 93 it'll make more. For example, my Supra is rated at 382 crank. In reality it does 387 at the wheels on 93.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,548 Posts
The sleeves on the bottom end of this block are huge. Toyota claims the internals have been strengthened over the GRY, which should result in incredible tuning potential. I can’t wait for people to dyno this car. I have a feeling the claimed 300 crank hp is massively underrated.
They short sell all their numbers so I wouldn't doubt it.

Reactions: 007

·
Registered
148 Posts
My question is, how much further can this engine go? Getting 300hp out of a 1.6L is insane, I'll be curious what tuners can get out of the engine without running into reliability problems (my guess is, not much).

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,548 Posts
I mean, it was interesting how much abuse it took from Motive. Unsure how many miles they had at each horsepower figures but given the abuse of that engine, the fact that it only went wrong when they upped boost to get 511whp is crazy

·
Registered
19 Posts
It has to be. If they claim 300hp, that's the minimum it can make. And that's on 91. On 93 it'll make more. For example, my Supra is rated at 382 crank. In reality it does 387 at the wheels on 93.
That's because it's a euro engine. Anyone familiar with BMW engines all their numbers are fake AF. They rate WHP not BHP.

If I was a betting my, I would guess the GRC will make 260-275 WHP. None the less, just a matter of pumping up the boost and adding some degrees of timing + some tighter AFR fuel controls + a fuel pump maybe and kapow 350 WHP.

·
Registered
'88 JZXA70; '16 86; '20 J29
43 Posts
My guess is the stock block would only be safely reliable up to 400WHP (250/liter). No more unless you just want a ticking time bomb. Even that number is pretty high, I'd say.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motive's GR Yaris is proof that the bottom end is pretty stout. And if you look at the design; the sleeves, the girdle, the rods, etc. it makes sense why this thing is holding power like it does.

Headstuds and a bigger turbo and I think we'll be in the 5-600 reliably. But at that point you're clinically insane anyways, so what's a little more? :LOL:

·
Registered
'99 2.5rs WRX swapped, '85 Brat, '17 golf sportwagen, '89 K2500 manual
84 Posts
The figure of 300hp is a little too tidy too.
I've also heard a few people mention the 300 is technically only achieved under the specific conditions to open that center exhaust port. I wonder how the overall power band will be. I'd prefer a solid powerband over a very special peak HP that's only at a certain point. I wonder if it's really only just making that 300 then for a tidy number, or if they left some ponies on the table to be safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts