Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
251 Posts
Overall, I’m pretty disappointed to see the price in comparison to the difference from the standard GR Yaris. A few cosmetics and some additional spot welds and adhesive with a wheel and tire package. It actually concerns me in relation to the upcoming GR Corolla because the GRMN Yaris is DOUBLE the price of a GR Yaris simply because it’s a limited run on a lotto system. I don’t ever remember Toyota making such a “cash grab” in the past and this concerns me about getting excited about the GR Corolla only for it to become a possible “cash grab” in the end. If the GR Corolla has the same engine with a higher output, why would the GRMN not also have the same bumped output…..literally no bump for the engine at all…..

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
602 Posts
Its more than just some cosmetic changes. Suspension, brakes, mechanical lsd, couple more carbon bits, weight drop, and a tune for bump in torque. Theres mention if the tuning service but not sure if thats included.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
251 Posts
Its more than just some cosmetic changes. Suspension, brakes, mechanical lsd, couple more carbon bits, weight drop, and a tune for bump in torque. Theres mention if the tuning service but not sure if thats included.
Everything I’ve seen says no tune, the suspension upgrade is bilstein shocks, and don’t forget custom seats….

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,969 Posts
Overall, I’m pretty disappointed to see the price in comparison to the difference from the standard GR Yaris. A few cosmetics and some additional spot welds and adhesive with a wheel and tire package. It actually concerns me in relation to the upcoming GR Corolla because the GRMN Yaris is DOUBLE the price of a GR Yaris simply because it’s a limited run on a lotto system. I don’t ever remember Toyota making such a “cash grab” in the past and this concerns me about getting excited about the GR Corolla only for it to become a possible “cash grab” in the end. If the GR Corolla has the same engine with a higher output, why would the GRMN not also have the same bumped output…..literally no bump for the engine at all…..
The carbon hood alone is probably at least a $15k increase coupled with the new suspension, BBS forged wheels, custom seats, roll bar, carbon wing, plus the 1 in 500 limiter, that adds quite a pretty penny. Especially given the car is fully hand-made still, adding more work to put on or do more welds means more labor time which means they need to charge more to keep a nice profit margin. Plus add on the RnD time for changing the trans and tuning that suspension and all. I know on the S209 STi's the carbon wing alone is $5k

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
602 Posts
The carbon hood alone is probably at least a $15k increase coupled with the new suspension, BBS forged wheels, custom seats, roll bar, carbon wing, plus the 1 in 500 limiter, that adds quite a pretty penny. Especially given the car is fully hand-made still, adding more work to put on or do more welds means more labor time which means they need to charge more to keep a nice profit margin. Plus add on the RnD time for changing the trans and tuning that suspension and all. I know on the S209 STi's the carbon wing alone is $5k
Yup, try and figure how much it would take to add all of that aftermarket. Yeah, im assuming the hood is a high performance quality carbon, as opposed to most aftermarket ones which are actually heavier than an aluminum. Dont know if there would be large amounts if r&d for the trans, mostly math figuiring what ratios you want. But getting gear sets manufactured and swapped. Given tools taking apart a trans isnt incredibly difficult, but its time consuming and lots of parts.
Stiffening the chassis after the fact is a lot of work, labor would cost you, and on top of that youll take off the factory paint in spots.
Would i get one if i could? I dont really have the disposable income, if i did, if course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.