Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Formula 1 Fans Thread

4K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  CPT 5LOW 
#1 ·
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

I imagine I'm not the only Formula 1 fan on the site so I thought I'd start an overall discussion thread with the 2023 season starting soon.

I can't wait to see all the new cars over the next few weeks. Haas is the first team to launch on the 31st.

See less See more
#2 ·
been following the sport for longer than I've been able to watch it. I started watching once I got a DVR and my cable provider had the right network.

it's been an interesting off season, and it seems to just be heating up with the FIA FOM scrum. hahaha.

since I have to watch ESPN, which takes Sky feed, even more silly season is Herbert and DiResta out, too bad they didn't take Croft with them.

#4 ·
if the camera panned just to the left of that first photo, you'd see me in the stands! seeing that photo took me back to that race. saw charles, seb rode his bike right in front of me while i almost got in the way, and suffocating in the red smoke, and watching devries hang onto his position lap after lap

#8 ·
Haas new color pallet, are they teaming up with gazoo Racing and forgot to mention that part?

My 1 and only live race was Kimi's last win. I'd love to go to another, but if that's the only one I see live, it's good enough.

#13 ·
Some pretty big news just dropped, Ford is returning to F1 in 2026. Given their history it's good to have them back in the sport.

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 3, 2023 – After more than 20 years, and as F1 transitions to a new and more electrified future, now is the time for Ford to make its long-awaited return to the FIA Formula One World Championship, the sport it dominated in the late ‘60s and ‘70s.

“This is the start of a thrilling new chapter in Ford’s motorsports story that began when my great-grandfather won a race that helped launch our company,” said Bill Ford, executive chair. “Ford is returning to the pinnacle of the sport, bringing Ford’s long tradition of innovation, sustainability and electrification to one of the world’s most visible stages.”

Formula 1 continues to grow its audience in key markets around the world including in the U.S. In addition, the FIA and F1 have a commitment to sustainability with increased use of electric power as well as sustainable fuels – one of the key reasons for Ford to return to Formula 1.

Despite leaving the sport in 2004, Ford remains the third most successful engine manufacturer in F1 history with 10 Constructors’ championships and 13 Drivers’ championships.

“The news today that Ford is coming to Formula 1 from 2026 is great for the sport and we are excited to see them join the incredible automotive partners already in Formula 1,” said Stefano Domenicali, President, and CEO of Formula 1. “Ford is a global brand with an incredible heritage in racing and the automotive world and they see the huge value that our platform provides with over half a billion fans around the world. Our commitment to be Net Zero Carbon by 2030 and to introduce sustainable fuels in the F1 cars from 2026 is also an important reason for their decision to enter F1. We believe that our sport provides the opportunity and reach unlike any other and we cannot wait for the Ford logo to be racing round F1’s iconic circuits from 2026.”

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said: “There are few manufacturers who have such a celebrated motor sport history as Ford, so to see them coming back to the FIA Formula One World Championship is excellent news. It further underlines the success of the 2026 Power Unit Regulations that have at their heart a commitment to both sustainability and spectacle, and of course having more interest from the United States is important for the continued growth of the world’s top motor sport category.

Ford and Formula 1 will provide more details about Ford’s return to the circuit later this morning.

What: Ford and Formula 1 introduction
When: Friday, Feb. 3, 2023, beginning at 9:45 a.m. eastern
Where: FordPerformance.com
Summary: Ford and Formula 1 will provide details of Ford’s return to Formula 1.

#14 ·
Some pretty big news just dropped, Ford is returning to F1 in 2026. Given their history it's good to have them back in the sport.

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 3, 2023 – After more than 20 years, and as F1 transitions to a new and more electrified future, now is the time for Ford to make its long-awaited return to the FIA Formula One World Championship, the sport it dominated in the late ‘60s and ‘70s.

“This is the start of a thrilling new chapter in Ford’s motorsports story that began when my great-grandfather won a race that helped launch our company,” said Bill Ford, executive chair. “Ford is returning to the pinnacle of the sport, bringing Ford’s long tradition of innovation, sustainability and electrification to one of the world’s most visible stages.”

Formula 1 continues to grow its audience in key markets around the world including in the U.S. In addition, the FIA and F1 have a commitment to sustainability with increased use of electric power as well as sustainable fuels – one of the key reasons for Ford to return to Formula 1.

Despite leaving the sport in 2004, Ford remains the third most successful engine manufacturer in F1 history with 10 Constructors’ championships and 13 Drivers’ championships.

“The news today that Ford is coming to Formula 1 from 2026 is great for the sport and we are excited to see them join the incredible automotive partners already in Formula 1,” said Stefano Domenicali, President, and CEO of Formula 1. “Ford is a global brand with an incredible heritage in racing and the automotive world and they see the huge value that our platform provides with over half a billion fans around the world. Our commitment to be Net Zero Carbon by 2030 and to introduce sustainable fuels in the F1 cars from 2026 is also an important reason for their decision to enter F1. We believe that our sport provides the opportunity and reach unlike any other and we cannot wait for the Ford logo to be racing round F1’s iconic circuits from 2026.”

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said: “There are few manufacturers who have such a celebrated motor sport history as Ford, so to see them coming back to the FIA Formula One World Championship is excellent news. It further underlines the success of the 2026 Power Unit Regulations that have at their heart a commitment to both sustainability and spectacle, and of course having more interest from the United States is important for the continued growth of the world’s top motor sport category.

Ford and Formula 1 will provide more details about Ford’s return to the circuit later this morning.

What: Ford and Formula 1 introduction
When: Friday, Feb. 3, 2023, beginning at 9:45 a.m. eastern
Where: FordPerformance.com
Summary: Ford and Formula 1 will provide details of Ford’s return to Formula 1.
Instead of a full team Ford is going to be building engines with Red Bull and Alpha Tauri.

• Red Bull Powertrains and Ford to partner on the development of the next-gen hybrid power unit that will supply engines to both Oracle Red Bull Racing and Scuderia AlphaTauri teams from 2026 to at least 2030
  • Ford returns to Formula 1 as the FIA and F1 deepens its focus on sustainable racing and advanced hybrid technologies, while leaving a legacy of positive change wherever it races
  • Ford will provide expertise in areas including battery cell and electric motor technology as well as power unit control software and analytics.
NEW YORK, NY, Feb. 3, 2023 – After more than two decades, Ford is returning to Formula 1. The iconic American automaker and Red Bull Powertrains are entering into a long term strategic technical partnership for the development of the next-gen hybrid power unit to be used from the 2026 Formula 1 season onwards.

Red Bull Ford will provide the power units for both the Oracle Red Bull Racing and Scuderia AlphaTauri teams from 2026 to at least 2030.

“This is the start of a thrilling new chapter in Ford’s motorsports story that began when my great-grandfather won a race that helped launch our company,” said Bill Ford, executive chair. “Ford, alongside world champions, Oracle Red Bull Racing, is returning to the pinnacle of the sport, bringing Ford’s long tradition of innovation, sustainability and electrification to one of the world’s most visible stages.”

Starting from 2023, Ford and Red Bull Powertrains will work to develop the power unit that will be part of the new technical regulations, including a 350kW electric motor and a new combustion engine able to accept fully sustainable fuels, ready for the 2026 season.

Ford’s return to Formula 1 with Red Bull Racing is all about where we are going as a company– increasingly electric, software-defined, modern vehicles and experiences,” said Jim Farley, President and CEO, Ford Motor Company. “F1 will be an incredibly cost-effective platform to innovate, share ideas and technologies, and engage with tens of millions of new customers.”

Ford will provide technical expertise in all areas where it can add value to the front-running World Championship team. Areas to be explored together are in the combustion engine development and key developments like battery cell and electric motor technology, power unit control software and analytics.

“It’s fantastic to be welcoming Ford back into Formula 1 through this partnership,” said Christian Horner, Oracle Red Bull Racing Team Principal and CEO. “As an independent engine manufacturer to have the ability to benefit from an OEM’s experience like Ford puts us in good stead against the competition. They are a manufacturer rich in motoring history that spans generations. From Jim Clark to Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher, the lineage speaks for itself. For us as Red Bull Powertrains to open the next chapter of that dynasty, as Red Bull Ford, is tremendously exciting. 2026 is still a while a way but for us the work already starts as we look to a new future and a continued evolution of Oracle Red Bull Racing.”

Ford is investing $50 billion to lead the EV revolution around the world. It is the number 2 EV company in the U.S. driven by the success of the F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E as well as the market leader in many markets around the world with the E-Transit. Ford is working to meet increased consumer demand and deliver an annual run rate of 600,000 electric vehicles globally by the end of this year and 2 million globally by the end of 2026 as part of its Ford+ plan.

In 2026, Ford will be the only manufacturer to be competing in racing disciplines from grassroots motorsports to Formula 1 comprising WEC and IMSA including Le Mans 24 Hours with Mustang GT3, WRC with the M-Sport Ford Puma Hybrid Rally1, Baja 1000 with Ranger Raptor and Bronco, and NASCAR, NHRA and Supercars with Mustang. Ford continues to leverage its racing efforts to speed innovations, latest technologies and software to consumers and will continue to do so through this new partnership at the pinnacle of Motorsports for future Ford electric vehicles.

“We are entering an exciting new age for Ford Performance,” said Farley. “We will be competing to win in F1, the pinnacle for motor sport, with Red Bull Racing. You will see the world’s most popular sports coupe, the Mustang, race from the grass roots to Australian Supercars to NASCAR to Le Mans. And will build our off-road leadership in the World Rally Championship, King of Hammers and to the Baha 1000 and more. All the while, we’ll continue to excite the world with cool demonstrators like SuperVan 4 and Mustang Mach-E 1400.”

#24 ·
Speaking of Alpine, apparently if Mario Andretti and Cadillac get into F1 they'd be getting engines from Alpine.

Cadillac
, in partnership with Michael Andretti and Andretti Global, are aiming to enter the FIA Formula One (F1) World Championship racing series as the eleventh team on the grid. If Cadillac’s bid is successful, Renault-owned Alpine says it will supply the new team’s engines.

Per a recent report from Reuters, Alpine Renault chief executive Laurent Rossi confirmed that Alpine would indeed supply the new Cadillac – Andretti team with engines, assuming the team secured its place on the grid.

#25 ·
with all this exposed carbon on the cars this year, I thought there was a rule that the cars had to have a certain percentage of the car covered in paint? I'm guessing they are painted to whatever levels they are required to, just kind of sad to see such a dark grid.

#29 ·
The Spanish Grand Prix track is going back to its original layout. The final chicane is being removed!

awesome, was this done after they watched Hamilton's race at Abu Dhabi the past 2 years?

in other news, has anyone looked at the Vegas money lines for WDC 2023?

someone snuck Vettel and Ricciardo into the lineup and they have better money lines than 11 other drivers. hahaha.