Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like everything about the Circuit edition however the forged carbon roof has me concerned about how it'll stand up to hot southern sun. Even paint has a hard time here, is it just gonna look like an old sunburnt corvette's fiberglass?

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
468 Posts
Carbon is basically fiberglass….
You could have it wrapped ot painted

·
Registered
16 Posts
A legit concern, but from what I read, no different than protecting the clearcoat on the rest of the car. Carbon fiber yellows from prolonged exposure once the top coating goes. As long as the clearcoat stays good, so should the CF. Someone who knows way more than I do about carbon fiber exposure and care should chime in here.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,768 Posts
If you do get a CE, PPF or ceramic coat that roof right away. A good detail can bring life back into carbon but like anything, it has a clear coat over it that will yellow and peel if not cared for. I've been told though that the pattern on the top is just a wrap so the real carbon should be quite safe

·
Registered
312 Posts
Carbon fiber roofs don’t have the best reputation. Even in the BMW world.

Though carbon fibers themselves are not susceptible to UV damage, the resin used to bond the fibers, is. Historically, carbon fiber roofs degrade over time faster than ordinary paint. They’re somewhat fragile in that regard.

PPF’ing a cf roof is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was under the impression that CF yellows because of the gel coat used on top vs actual clear coat. My hood on my old civic yellowed in the hot texas sun, I got it stripped and used proper cleae coat and never had an issue after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do get a CE, PPF or ceramic coat that roof right away. A good detail can bring life back into carbon but like anything, it has a clear coat over it that will yellow and peel if not cared for. I've been told though that the pattern on the top is just a wrap so the real carbon should be quite safe
No, the pattern on the top is not "just a wrap." What you see is what you get: carbon fiber + epoxy. The "forged" roof looks the way it does because this technique uses shredded CF, not woven fabric CF laid down in strips. Forged CF can be automated, thus it's cheaper than hand-laying woven CF.

Finished parts made of "carbon fiber" (that is, CF + epoxy) may develop a yellow tinge after long exposure to sunlight because even the best UV-stabilized epoxy resin will eventually yellow in response to UV exposure.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,768 Posts
No, the pattern on the top is not "just a wrap." What you see is what you get: carbon fiber + epoxy. The "forged" roof looks the way it does because this technique uses shredded CF, not woven fabric CF laid down in strips. Forged CF can be automated, thus it's cheaper than hand-laying woven CF.

Bare "carbon fiber" develops a yellow tinge after long exposure to sunlight: pretty much every epoxy resin, even if UV stabilized, will eventually yellow if used outdoors.
I'm aware of what forged carbon is and looks like, but I've been told by those at the event that it looks to be just a wrap like the GRY. Maybe they are wrong, but that was the information I was given(maybe because they're the prototyes, they just have a wrap?)

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE | Celestial Silver
52 Posts
This right here. If you get a CP edition, send it to get PPF immediately.

Living in Texas, if I end up with a CP I will have to do the same thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since the GRC is essentially a larger GRY through and through, I wouldn’t be surprised if the CE carbon roof is also wrapped in fake carbon vinyl. Toyota went so far to make the GRC every bit as awesome as the GRY. It just wouldn’t make any sense to not wrap the carbon roof. Like, why stop there?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
To answer the forged carbon roof, they are only prototype, if they've announce it will be forged carbon, it will be the real thing. If they saw the roof at the reveal that it looks like just a wrapped. Well it's just for the show for now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You're telling me Toyota puts a CF wrap on top of real carbon fiber on the GR Yaris roof?

If true, I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled.
Yes. The GRY carbon fiber roof is wrapped to look like a nice weave of carbon fiber. It’s been this way from the start.

I personally don’t mind it. It’s still real carbon fiber. It’s not fake. To some, this style of cf just doesn’t look as good when it’s exposed. So I’m okay with a factory wrap that both makes it look better and protects at the same time.

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
468 Posts
You're telling me Toyota puts a CF wrap on top of real carbon fiber on the GR Yaris roof?

If true, I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled.
Yes, its kinda funny a, a fake weave carbon over real forged carbon. I actually find it amusing. Some comes up to you and ask, is that real or fake carbon? You can answer, yes!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts