Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

For those coming from a VA sti.... what are the expectations?

3637 Views 28 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Ballista
I sold my 19 sti in Jan after I put a deposit down on one of these. Picked up a low mile miata nb to bridge the gap and check off a bucket list item.

Loved the sti. I don't track. Just a lifelong enthusiast. I live in and drive on mostly northern ca sierra mountain back/hwy roads. While the drivetrain in the sti was magnificent, I could never get over that it felt bloated compared to my 2011 wrx hatch.

Been extremely anticipating this car and the only time I have felt apprehensive was watching it in the TH review and lanch next to the sti. I know they are not straight line cars and I don't race from the stoplight. BUT the sti felt heavy/sluggish to me from day 1. That said it was the best year round mountain car I have ever owned.

For anyone coming from subaru, what are your expectations?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
I sold my 19 sti in Jan after I put a deposit down on one of these. Picked up a low mile miata nb to bridge the gap and check off a bucket list item.

Loved the sti. I don't track. Just a lifelong enthusiast. I live in and drive on mostly northern ca sierra mountain back/hwy roads. While the drivetrain in the sti was magnificent, I could never get over that it felt bloated compared to my 2011 wrx hatch.

Been extremely anticipating this car and the only time I have felt apprehensive was watching it in the TH review and lanch next to the sti. I know they are not straight line cars and I don't race from the stoplight. BUT the sti felt heavy/sluggish to me from day 1. That said it was the best year round mountain car I have ever owned.

For anyone coming from subaru, what are your expectations?
Essentially the GRC performs very similar to the previous gen STI per reviews and description of driving dynamics. So in ways you kinda took a long route in getting a similar experience. Being a better car will be subjective.
Reactions: 1
Fuel mpg will be quite a bit better. Rated 28 mpg (US). Same as my nc mx5.
Being a better car will be subjective.
Agree. That is in line with the majority of this site. Opinions are subjective.
Owned an 18 STI for two years. I'm looking for similar fun on a smaller package. I love smaller cars.

I'll miss the UEL rumble for sure, but as long as this drives similarly, I think I'll be happy. That, and an extra 10mpg will help.
I had an 04 STi and then for awhile a 17 STi. I really enjoyed them both, but was always afraid of something breaking. I had my 04 for 2 years before hitting a deer. And my 17 for about a year. I've had various vehicles in between and after those vehicles, and I'd say of them, my favorite daily has been the Fiesta ST, but the most fun on track was the BRZ I had. I got rid of the BRZ after my daughter was born.

Currently I'm driving a Golf R. For daily purposes, I really can't complain. However, I'm now in a position to get back into AutoX and I can't help but feel, albeit wrongly, I'll likely blame my frustrations on the Golf not having any form of LSD, hence the GR Corolla. But we'll see. I've been told I change cars like underwear, but you know what they say, "Life's too short to drive boring cars."
See less See more
Reactions: 2
I'm hoping for similar driving dynamics to my 08 STI hatchback. If it ends up driving like a 15+, I'll likely not keep the car and will probably keep my 08 and then buy a new 86 instead.
If you owned or own a 08-14' sti hatchback it performs identically in most cases. You won't 3 wheel driving at an angle up a steep driveway but the chassis is still very stiff with the grc. For those wondering.

I bought the grc as a replacement for my 13' sti hatch and it has not disappointed.
Reactions: 5
I will be buying a seat lowering kit though. You'll notice the ride height sitting in the chair feels to be a inch or two too high at its lowest point if you are 6'3" like me.
Reactions: 2
If you owned or own a 08-14' sti hatchback it performs identically in most cases. You won't 3 wheel driving at an angle up a steep driveway but the chassis is still very stiff with the grc. For those wondering.
The review I've been needing. I think I'm gonna keep my hatch for a bit just to be safe, maybe turn it into a track car. I'm also 6'3, and headroom with a helmet is a must.

I bought the grc as a replacement for my 13' sti hatch and it has not disappointed.
This is exactly what I am replacing, well I did have an S2000 for awhile, but my heart was with my STi Hatch after I sold it. Nice to hear.
I will be buying a seat lowering kit though. You'll notice the ride height sitting in the chair feels to be a inch or two too high at its lowest point if you are 6'3" like me.
Oh ok... yeah, this is all good info because I am also 6'3" and was just reading about the seat height for some drivers. Ultimately, I will buy a driver's bucket seat, as I had to do the same on my STi and S2000. My preference is a very low seating position, but if the seat-lowering kit used on the GR Yaris, works on the GRC, that's a good option in the interim.
Installing aftermarket seat lowering kit may compromise the safety of the car. A little risky if this is your daily driver. Just something to be aware.
The review I've been needing. I think I'm gonna keep my hatch for a bit just to be safe, maybe turn it into a track car. I'm also 6'3, and headroom with a helmet is a must.
For me this is my replacement for my 13' sti hatch so it works for me
I know this conversation is a bit old but, I'm curious about the STI owner opinions now that the car has reached more driveways.

I know the GRC has been compared to the VA favorably. With that said, I went and did my due diligence as one should when car shopping, and my test drive of a stock 2020 STI yesterday left me cold. So maybe those of you that have been in both can give me a reference point since driving a GRC isn't something that really happens before purchase for many of us.
Imo the only reason to buy an STI is if you prefer old technology rather than new. STI still uses hydraulic steering and a very old powertrain.
I know this conversation is a bit old but, I'm curious about the STI owner opinions now that the car has reached more driveways.

I know the GRC has been compared to the VA favorably. With that said, I went and did my due diligence as one should when car shopping, and my test drive of a stock 2020 STI yesterday left me cold. So maybe those of you that have been in both can give me a reference point since driving a GRC isn't something that really happens before purchase for many of us.
What @noogie said. But also, the STI, stock for stock, feels more planted and more solid. The UEL rumble can't be beat, but it's also a matter of taste.

The STI trans can take a huge beating, but we have yet to see what the GRC can do.

For the price, the alcantara seats on the STI is a lot better than the core cloth ones. Head unit is more intuitive if you don't need any of the Toyota shenanigans. I honesty's don't care for android auto; bluetooth was enough for me.

Body roll on the STI was significantly lower.

The STI turbo spulls higher in the rpm like the Corolla, but stock for stock it felt like it had more ummpf. The Corolla will pull to what, 23/25psi? but there's no torque pushing you backwards.

I felt more comfortable taking corners on the STI and that's what I'll be pursuing first with the GRC. Buying springs as soon as I can and sway bars. Not sure how soon, but that's what I'm shooting for.
See less See more
You won’t be able to buy a new sti, which means trying to find an sti that wasn’t beat on with 87 gas may be challenging. The knock strategy on the sti is very old and using 87 octane may cause damage to the engine.
STI still uses hydraulic steering.
This is honestly the biggest reason why I've held off on buying a new car and my biggest hesitation on the GRC. Steer-by-wire is definitely much harder to get right and for the most part is much more numb, and steering feel is probably one of my highest priorities. The new 86 is the only car that I've driven with electric steering that I was happy with, and I contribute a lot of that to the front-engine/rwd layout and light weight, neither of which the GRC has.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts