Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided to email the folks across the pond at Eventuri and inquired about an intake system for the GRC. I was pretty skeptical that they would make one, let alone even respond due to the fact that they are based in the UK and the GRC will not be going to the UK nor anywhere in Europe.
But I was pleasantly surprised that they responded, and even more surprised that an Eventuri intake will actually be in production for the GRC. Here is a screenshot of their response...
Organism Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle Slope

Can't wait to see and hear that carbon thing of beauty in action!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh nice!! I've loved what it looks like for the CTR when I was on that dick for like 3-4 years. But I've since heard lukewarm feedback? As in no one else is demonstrating the same gains or similar gains? I never really looked more into it after that. But if I am incorrect I would certainly consider this post warranty!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is my understanding that the stock intake is very well designed from factory. I guess this would just be for looks?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding that the stock intake is very well designed from factory. I guess this would just be for looks?
Well if you are to believe the intake comparison thread, the Eventuri intake performed the best overall and did increase HP and TQ along with looking dead sexy.
The gains may be minimal, and may not be worth it to some, but if I am able to get my hands on a GRC, I'll be getting this intake that's for sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well if you are to believe the intake comparison thread, the Eventuri intake performed the best overall and did increase HP and TQ along with looking dead sexy.
The gains may be minimal, and may not be worth it to some, but if I am able to get my hands on a GRC, I'll be getting this intake that's for sure.
Haven't seen that thread. I'll give it a look, thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll be going with the MST. If they don't fix the box I'll just get the Yaris one and modify it to work. 1/3rd the cost of the Eventuri, makes like 1hp less (allegedly), and sounds the same.

Frankly I take all these dyno tests with a grain of salt. It's hard to say because clearly in the videos they are dynoing and getting real time results, but at the same time all the tuning houses cracking ECUs or running standalones basically say "bolt-ons are pretty much snakeoil on the G16 without tuning".

Therefore, I'm going for biggest bang for the buck here lol.

·
Banned
452 Posts
The only way intakes work well to bump up hp is if they supply more air, and the colder the better to the engine than the stock setup.
So a real cold air intake will work, but I'm not sure this is a real cold air intake, just looks like a stock intake made of fancy carbon fiber.
I usually don't go to car shows and lift my hood up so people can see my engine.
Been there, done that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Intakes aren’t designed for “gains” if you happen to get some horsepower than great but the main purpose as stated is more air, preferably colder and noise. There’s a reason we don’t typically advertise horsepower gains anymore because dynos are too easily fooled and you can inflate numbers. CFMs are the best way to judge a successful intake design.
for reference this is an upcoming intake design of mine and I was able to pull an extra 100 CFMs over the stock box. The gains on a dyno were ~5hp and 7lb ft of torque. However when you combine that air flow increase with a tune etc that’s a lot more air that can be used in the engine. I also still want it to look good when I open the hood And I’ve seen and dealt with the mst Intake on the Supras and I was extremely underwhelmed with the design, non enclosed box, mediocre fitment that’s dealt with by using foam to help alleviate the poor design and tolerances
Grille Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
So decided to email the folks across the pond at Eventuri and inquired about an intake system for the GRC. I was pretty skeptical that they would make one, let alone even respond due to the fact that they are based in the UK and the GRC will not be going to the UK nor anywhere in Europe.
But I was pleasantly surprised that they responded, and even more surprised that an Eventuri intake will actually be in production for the GRC. Here is a screenshot of their response...
View attachment 3934

Can't wait to see and hear that carbon thing of beauty in action!
Happy to see that they're doing it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Intakes aren’t designed for “gains” if you happen to get some horsepower than great but the main purpose as stated is more air, preferably colder and noise. There’s a reason we don’t typically advertise horsepower gains anymore because dynos are too easily fooled and you can inflate numbers. CFMs are the best way to judge a successful intake design.
for reference this is an upcoming intake design of mine and I was able to pull an extra 100 CFMs over the stock box. The gains on a dyno were ~5hp and 7lb ft of torque. However when you combine that air flow increase with a tune etc that’s a lot more air that can be used in the engine. I also still want it to look good when I open the hood And I’ve seen and dealt with the mst Intake on the Supras and I was extremely underwhelmed with the design, non enclosed box, mediocre fitment that’s dealt with by using foam to help alleviate the poor design and tolerances View attachment 3944
View attachment 3943
You say a lot of big words. Pretty carbon is my takeaway

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
162 Posts
for reference this is an upcoming intake design of mine and I was able to pull an extra 100 CFMs over the stock box. The gains on a dyno were ~5hp and 7lb ft of torque. However when you combine that air flow increase with a tune etc that’s a lot more air that can be used in the engine. I also still want it to look good when I open the hood And I’ve seen and dealt with the mst Intake on the Supras and I was extremely underwhelmed with the design, non enclosed box, mediocre fitment that’s dealt with by using foam to help alleviate the poor design and tolerances
The other side to most aftermarket intakes is the effectiveness of the filter / media. It's real easy to increase CFM and gain power by using a cheap filter, then your engine is unknowingly ingesting tons of dust that eats away at the piston rings and cylinder walls.

PSA: Don't buy cheap intakes. Honestly, almost every aftermarket intake makes this trade off, less filtering for more power. It's just how much long term reliability you want to give up.

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
162 Posts
I mean do we know the flow rate / efficacy of each intakes filter element? Until proven otherwise Im going to assume they all let in more particulate. Just because one costs 3X the other doesn’t necessarily mean the filter element is any better.
Truth. One of my sister companies designs intakes and drop in panel filters, and I've seen some hard testing data on most popular options in the subaru market. And that is why I still have a stock intake on my STI, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts