Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR750L7 Legacy 3.0R 6MT
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great news for us, can all of you in the USA stop buying ICE cars right now please, I want to get my hands on a GRC Circuit Edition.

Also can you please start shipping all your American muscle cars here real cheap because we do not even have emissions testing in New Zealand.

Signed,

Petrol Head.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
473 Posts
The US power grid is going to absolutely implode. There's no way you can run that entire state off electricity. Heck, here in Texas we can barely keep the lights on in general.

Also, how many people are going to be able to afford these luxury EVs in a state that is notorious for high cost of living. The incentives the government provides have so much fine print that it'll be near impossible to fulfill in the short time frame allowed.

Akio Toyoda has it right. If you really want a sustainable, carbon neutral future, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. I don't know why the US doesn't seem to want to touch hydrogen as an alternative.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
This is great news for us, can all of you in the USA stop buying ICE cars right now please, I want to get my hands on a GRC Circuit Edition.

Also can you please start shipping all your American muscle cars here real cheap because we do not even have emissions testing in New Zealand.

Signed,

Petrol Head.
Please don't confuse commifornia with the rest of the USA. Okay thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Akio Toyoda has it right. If you really want a sustainable, carbon neutral future, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. I don't know why the US doesn't seem to want to touch hydrogen as an alternative.
To be fair, the actual news is that its to be electric and hydrogen cars only. So although the USA doesn't seem to have provided as many incentives for hydrogen cars as for electric cars, its still included as its "0 tail pipe emissions" that they're looking for.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don’t forget that it rolls in - 35% in 2026 and 68% in 2030.

17 states use CARB rules, and 15 of those said they will follow the electric car rules.

New York, Washington, Oregon, and Massachusetts have specifically called out following California in the EV (or H2) mandate.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
Don’t forget that it rolls in - 35% in 2026 and 68% in 2030.

17 states use CARB rules, and 15 of those said they will follow the electric car rules.

New York, Washington, Oregon, and Massachusetts have specifically called out following California in the EV (or H2) mandate.
Most of the time stupid stuff like this gets planned, then in a couple years they push it back as soon as they realize how stupid it is. 😂

·
Registered
473 Posts
To be fair, the actual news is that its to be electric and hydrogen cars only. So although the USA doesn't seem to have provided as many incentives for hydrogen cars as for electric cars, its still included as its "0 tail pipe emissions" that they're looking for.
Ah, I did not know that. Unfortunately, hydrogen development is still not quite there yet. The infrastructure even less.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of the time stupid stuff like this gets planned, then in a couple years they push it back as soon as they realize how stupid it is. 😂
Yep. Not even the first EV mandate in California.

But with many countries banking ICE cars at the same time, this will stick.

I imagine it will not be 100% at first (towing doesn’t work on current EVs very well - that will want to be fuel cell, which is behind), changing infrastructure is behind.

But I REALLY do think there will be a largely EV mandate in most of the ‘blue’ states.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind an EV GRC as long as it has the performance to match. I will miss the sound but I can find myself getting over it quickly.

I also wish that CA would focus on alternative modes of transportation like high speed rail instead of passing the buck to consumers.
My issue with EVs is at a certain point nothing will be distinguishable other than the design really. I was reading a review on the Pininfarina Batista recently and they were talking about how the super crazy EV acceleration isn’t as exciting anymore. At first it was awesome and different, that sucks feeling you get from all that acceleration but now most EVs do it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah agreed, hopefully it picks up quickly. Luckily Toyota already has a hydrogen powered GR Yaris going around so theres hope yet!
For all the people lamenting the death of ICE, you would think there'd be greater drive and support for hydrogen fuel cell.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind an EV GRC as long as it has the performance to match. I will miss the sound but I can find myself getting over it quickly.

I also wish that CA would focus on alternative modes of transportation like high speed rail instead of passing the buck to consumers.
I mean didn't the federal government give Cali a shit ton of money to build a high speed rail from LA to Silicon valley years ago? Project never got off the ground because corrupt greedy politicians pocketed the money.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts