Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 158 Posts
So Limit+1 posted a FWD Dyno and the numbers got me confused. Is it 295WHP? It wouldn't make much sense in my head, but I could not be understanding it.
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

We were able to obtain more consistent results when putting the vehicle in FWD mode. Boost was much more consistent and there was less surge. Results may vary due to weather, humidity, and heat-soak. HP and Torque numbers are used by LIMIT+1 as a tool for before and after comparison only and may not represent the actual WHP of the vehicle.
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Nice! Am I reading it correctly? 295.64whp, 300wtorque? Then, 2nd run 299whp, 299wtorque. And finally, 298whp, 301wtorque.

I am going to have jump in, and say it before the doubters come in... those are not Dynojet numbers, and appear to be high reading numbers.

Usually a Mustang Dyno, which you used, is 1) low reading numbers; 2) FWD mode, from what the Japanese have said, should be 6ps more than actual due to less drivetrain loss; and 3) You can request from a Mustang Dyno to convert it to Dynojet numbers.

Love that you did it correctly, and used dyno mode. Very consistent numbers also, within + or - 2hp. This will pay off when you go and mod the car, and do an after dyno.

CONGRATS! ON THE FIRST PROPERLY DYNO'D GR COROLLA!

Discussion starter · #65 ·
They did it all wrong, and you can clearly see the dyno fighting the awd, hence the low numbers. I wonder how those bolt on dynos are vs the drive on dynos.
I thought it was interesting they ran it in the fwd and it was still off. Clearly something is massively wrong

I thought it was interesting they ran it in the fwd and it was still off. Clearly something is massively wrong
I am wondering if they just pulled the handbrake or that dyno needs to be calibrated.

Usually a Dynapack (bolton dyno ar the hubs) is a high reading dyno. Hondata uses a dynapack, and there's is 8% high. For example a CTR dynos 315hub hp on their dynpack, and 315*.92=290whp, which 290whp is correct on a dynojet.

Wheels&tires take away about 8% from the power output from the crank, or rather from the 14% loss that a FWD usually has, 8% of the 14% is from the wheels and tires. The rest of the drivetrain (aka transmission & axles, etc) is the 6% loss. So, it's just hub hp, nothing less, nothing more. Hup hp should be, and indeed is, higher than wheel hp.

They may also have a whp conversion that they use to convert from hub hp.

The good thing about a dynapack is they can read small changes in hp, in as little as 1/2hp in changes in power. Whereas a dynojet is something like + or - 2hp. Dynapacks are great for low hp cars, where every 1/2hp makes a big difference (example miata, all motor stock block stock motor civic).

Wow that's quite funny as long as its not your car that is.

So you ignore the engine break in period and put it straight on a Dyno and thrash the s**t out of it ?
Were talking about the car on the dynpack correct? If so... In the YT video they mention the break-in miles, and they show them driving it to get those break-in miles... and they state it's their car... probably a company/project car.

I figured there would be some controversy after this posting with the AWHP at 220 posted in the video. Look at the first dyno on this forum. DYNOJET hit 258hp with (in AWD mode from what I'm seeing). Dynojets will read HIGHER numbers. For comparison this was the data from a BMW (same car/mods) DynoJET vs DynoDYNAMICS:
Real world comparison: bmw dyno dynamics = 353hp 431tq exact same car and modifications on dynojet = 404hp 461tq

Note DynoJET will read higher. I'm guessing that the numbers are ACCURATE. I come from the WRX world. Note the GRC is hitting 60 mph in around the same time as a 2002 WRX that was hitting the dyno at around 175AWHP. Here are some Subaru numbers from my local DynoDYNAMICS dyno:
stock 2010 WRX (listed as 265 from the factory): Stock 2010 WRX dyno dynamics 199hp 211tq
Stock 2022 WRX 219hp/218tq (listed as 271 factory hp)
A stock 2020 STI 214.9 hp and 218 TQ (listed as 310 factory hp)
Some numbers from Road and Track from 2015 (not sure what dyno they used, but noted it was K&N's dyno)
Dyno Results2015 Subaru WRX2015 Subaru WRX STI
Horsepower223 hp @ 5800 rpm247 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque245 lb-ft @ 3850 rpm243 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

So 258hp on a dynoJET looks right on based on how the car actually performs acceleration wise. I don't think it under-rated at all. I think its rated as it should be. Compare its acceleration versus an STI. Do you really think its making a whole lot more ponies than an STI?

...For comparison this was the data from a BMW (same car/mods) DynoJET vs DynoDYNAMICS:..
No one has dyno'ed a GR Corolla on a DynoDynamics Dyno. There is nothing to compare to a reading on a DynoDynamics. Dynojet (258.6awhp), Mustang Dyno (299fwhp), and Dynapack (247fhhp/220ahhp) is all we have so far. Dynojet is the standard used by SAE, the regulatory board in the US, that determines the maximum hp a manufacturer can claim.
SAABSTORY said:
Note the GRC is hitting 60 mph in around the same time as a 2002 WRX that was hitting the dyno at around 175AWHP...
0to60 is 5.5sec, 1/4mile in 14.2sec is a 2002 WRX. 0to60 doesn't tell the whole story, because you may have 1 shift or 2 shifts to 60mph. Use 1/4mile times. 14.2sec vs 13.3sec (0to60 in 4.9sec). That's a whole second faster almost. HUGELY different. Even the 0to60 time is not even close. Both times are by car & driver (GRC times omit 1ft rollout of 0.3sec)
Font Screenshot Electronic device Number Communication Device
Font Number Parallel Circle Document

... Here are some Subaru numbers from my local DynoDYNAMICS dyno:
stock 2010 WRX (listed as 265 from the factory): Stock 2010 WRX dyno dynamics 199hp 211tq
Stock 2022 WRX 219hp/218tq (listed as 271 factory hp)A stock 2020 STI 214.9 hp and 218 TQ (listed as 310 factory hp)

Some numbers from Road and Track from 2015 (not sure what dyno they used, but noted it was K&N's dyno)
Dyno Results2015 Subaru WRX2015 Subaru WRX STI
Horsepower223 hp @ 5800 rpm247 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque245 lb-ft @ 3850 rpm243 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

So 258hp on a dynoJET looks right on based on how the car actually performs acceleration wise. I don't think it under-rated at all. I think its rated as it should be. Compare its acceleration versus an STI. Do you really think its making a whole lot more ponies than an STI?
K&N/R&T uses a dynojet, because that's the standard. Yes, I do think it's making more hp than an 2020 STi. Should be 280fwhp vs 247awhp. 0to60 in 5.3, 1/4mile in 13.8 vs 0to60 in 4.9, 1/4mile in 13.3. (GRC times omit 1ft rollout of 0.3sec)
Font Document Parallel Symmetry Number

If there was an AWD dyno mode for the GR Corolla, but there isn't due to the design, then it would be 274awhp, no less.

The way I determine a cars hp without the use of a dyno, is the acceleration tests, from a roll. Acceleration=power to weight ratio. A roll race removes traction from the equation. The fk8 puts down 290fwhp on a dynojet, and weighs 3118lbs. From a roll, it takes a GR Corolla by 3car lengths (by throttle house). GR Corolla weighs 3269lbs (by car&drivers scale). Every car length is 6hp, every 70lbs of bolted down mass is a car length also (for cars in that range of weight, might be 7hp&85lbs for 3600lb car). 2cars lost due to 140lbs extra mass. Another car length, gives 6hp less than the fk8. Give or take... so, 280whp is a good estimate. That 280whp would be total power being used... which is in AWD. So FWD dyno mode hp, might be as high as 299fwhp (like what was read on the mustang dyno test)... but lets be conservative and say 280fwhp, and 274awhp.

awhp=all wheel horsepower
fwhp=front wheel horsepower
ahhp=all hub horsepower
fhhp=front hub horsepower

Excellent review. So it does look like the GRC is probably more in the range 315-325 hp based on this most likely.
That's my thinking... while the fk8 CTR is also underrated and is 10hp more, at 325hp-335hp.

Welcome to the underrated modern world of performance cars. The Germans seem to have started this... and welcome to magazine racing & hp measuring at it's best.

For a GR Corolla to get a read out of 299whp on a dynojet (which was a mustang dyno reading), that would be insane! That's like the 2020 Supra getting a read out of 340whp on a dynojet, when it's rated 335hp. 280whp would be perfectly fine though.

Welcome to the underrated modern world of performance cars. The Germans seem to have started this... and welcome to magazine racing & hp measuring at it's best.
You kids don't even know. Welcome to 2003 where the SRT4 was factory published at 215hp, but was over 230hp at the wheels on the dyno all day every day. Its more common now, but its not new.

You kids don't even know. Welcome to 2003 where the SRT4 was factory published at 215hp, but was over 230hp at the wheels on the dyno all day every day. Its more common now, but its not new.
Thanks buddy. I think I remember those days. The 1st year came with stage 0 (rated 215hp) put down 210whp, the 2nd year came with factory stage 1 (rated 225hp) put down 230whp, if I remember correctly. 3rd year rated 220hp. Rating meant nothing.

Cobalt SS turbo (rated 260) made 240whp stock, mazdaspeed3 (rated 263) made 260whp stock. All three were similar in performance, with the SRT4, being the slowest.

61 - 80 of 158 Posts