Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 158 Posts
Ok you can disable the clutch pack and run in 2WD to enable you to get a constant baseline for tuning which is what you want but that actually is not going to give you an accurate absolute whp power reading is it ?

Considering you put this thing on the track and 20minutes of hard driving later it goes into 2WD tells you the transmission losses are pretty high to generate that sort of heat in the front/rear clutch pack.

10% drivetrain losses for an AWD car wouldn't be out of the question so you would not expect any more that 270whp at best, if the clutch pack has to start shifting power about that's all additional losses and you would find yourself at 250-260rwhp in no time in real world driving.

Wow... everything you need, is here:

Please please please read. Ok, I'll summarize, but you need to read that. There is a dyno mode, and it takes a special sequence of pedal&hand brake presses to enter dyno mode.

Next, cars are underrated. Welcome to modern day sports cars. For Ex: Do you think that magically the 2020 mk5 supra rated 335hp, can make 340whp? It does... how is it possible? Is it some kind of perpetual motion machine that just keeps on creating more power, the more power it makes? Does it have negative losses on the drivetrain? Or is it underrated? IT IS UNDERRATED. wow.

Read the thread, there is much more there.

Here's another point. The 260ish rated hp GR Yaris, puts down 240whp... which would also be an argument for the GR Corolla to put down 280whp... despite what we know about it's acceleration tests from a roll against a 290whp stock fk8 CTR (with 140lbs less weight). If the GR Corolla had 250-260whp, it would be an absolute slaughter, but it's not. 3-4cars lengths difference, not 8-10car lengths. Or in bus lengths, 1 bus length, not 3 bus lengths.

The GR Corolla is also faster from a roll against an Elantra N manual with 260whp (rated 276hp)... and yet the GR Corolla weighs more(3186 vs 3262) has AWD, and... has 275whp minimum, by the results (wins by 1 car length). The GR Corolla against an Elantra N DCT with 280whp (rated 286hp) should be a dead heat, depending on the driver of the GR Corolla and how fast he can shift (3262lbs vs 3296lbs). 280whp vs 280whp. Most likely the DCT wins it.

Here's the video/roll races I'm referring to
here

Ok you can disable the clutch pack and run in 2WD to enable you to get a constant baseline for tuning which is what you want but that actually is not going to give you an accurate absolute whp power reading is it ?
Forgive me but I'm drawing a blank on what you'd actually need that for.

You might be able to calculate it though. Run it in FWD mode to find the crank HP. Run it in AWD mode and let it run down to find the drivetrain loss. Crank HP - AWD drivetrain loss = AWHP

Forgive me but I'm drawing a blank on what you'd actually need that for.

You might be able to calculate it though. Run it in FWD mode to find the crank HP. Run it in AWD mode and let it run down to find the drivetrain loss. Crank HP - AWD drivetrain loss = AWHP
I think he thought FWD mode meant that you had to physically disconnect the clutch packs in the rear drive system. Maybe. That's what I understood.

There is a video on youtube that describes the dyno mode sequence for the GR Yaris. The guy claims that dyno mode gives 6whp more than AWD mode. Not sure how he determined that, but could be that he did an acceleration test to determine it... or, he fought with the car for so long, that he mastered a way to get the highest/consistent reading in AWD mode.

Found it:

I understand there is a special sequence for dyno'ing the car, but why can't we just pull the hand brake? (This may be the dumbest question here, but hey, I am dumb AF)
Seems that going into dyno mode is overkill for my smooth brain.

the thing here is that none of these dyno runs are being done for the purpose of tuning. they are specifically being done for likes and subscribes.

weee!!! hey!!! look at me!!! I've got the car on a dyno and it shows numbers!!! keep watching for more!!!

so yeah, perfectly whatever, post some irrelevant dyno numbers to get clicks, no big deal. at the end of the day, whether they are in a FWD only mode or not, it's just pulling a number off a computation table.

when people start tuning using a dyno to get the most power for their mods, that's when consistency matters, and the only relevance that proves is specific to that car with those mods on that day on that dyno. which at that point, it's still irrelevant.

but I guess it's fun, and it helps pass the time if you don't have your car yet, so please, continue :)

Discussion starter · #49 ·
the thing here is that none of these dyno runs are being done for the purpose of tuning. they are specifically being done for likes and subscribes.

weee!!! hey!!! look at me!!! I've got the car on a dyno and it shows numbers!!! keep watching for more!!!

so yeah, perfectly whatever, post some irrelevant dyno numbers to get clicks, no big deal. at the end of the day, whether they are in a FWD only mode or not, it's just pulling a number off a computation table.

when people start tuning using a dyno to get the most power for their mods, that's when consistency matters, and the only relevance that proves is specific to that car with those mods on that day on that dyno. which at that point, it's still irrelevant.
I mean thats what I said early on, It is still useful if youre adding modifications to the car and running again on the same dyno in similar conditions to see if youre making any extra power

I mean thats what I said early on, It is still useful if youre adding modifications to the car and running again on the same dyno in similar conditions to see if youre making any extra power
Not if your dyno numbers are inconsistent. If you dyno the car without being in dyno mode, then in back-to-back runs it makes 260whp, then 240whp, then 255whp, then 275whp, then down to 230whp... you haven't changed anything, so which number is correct? None are. Go into Dyno mode. How difficult can it be to get, that, there is a dyno mode, so lets use it.

but I guess it's fun, and it helps pass the time if you don't have your car yet, so please, continue :)
Because for some of us, a dyno is a scientific measuring device. How would you like it, if you went to the doctor, and he said you weigh 350lbs and you need to lose a few lbs. Who cares right? Then, you look down, and see that you are a toothpick and if you lost weight that would mean being anorexic... then, you conclude the scale is broken, ask the Dr, and he says who cares, it's just for clicks and views, don't worry about it. I'm putting your weight on the internet so all can see... and, even worse, maybe you are on some dating app, and you are now considered a catfish, and no one wants to date you.

Would you like that?

I understand there is a special sequence for dyno'ing the car, but why can't we just pull the hand brake? (This may be the dumbest question here, but hey, I am dumb AF)
If you pull the handbrake only, it doesn't disengage the rear drive system... the car would eventually break through the resistance of any braking force you give it. It's like going down the street, mashing on the gas and the brake pedal with two feet, at the same tume. All you're going to do is wear out the brakes prematurely, and if your on a 2wheel dyno, you're going to break something... the rear drive system, the dyno, the wall, the car, all of the above, etc etc. Yeah, don't do that. It's not smart enough to keep you from hurting things.

I'd use dyno mode just because Toyota felt the need to put it in there. I don't know what the practical differences are but if pulling the hand brake did the same thing I would think Toyota would've just put that as the procedure.

Also owning a GTFour has made me wary of using the incorrect technique because I've seen what can happen when people try to mess with AWD systems the wrong way.

If you pull the handbrake only, it doesn't disengage the rear drive system... the car would eventually break through the resistance of any braking force you give it. It's like going down the street, mashing on the gas and the brake pedal with two feet, at the same tume. All you're going to do is wear out the brakes prematurely, and if your on a 2wheel dyno, you're going to break something... the rear drive system, the dyno, the wall, the car, all of the above, etc etc. Yeah, don't do that. It's not smart enough to keep you from hurting things.
Wait, doesn't pulling the handbrake in the GRC disconnect the rear drive system? I'm pretty sure this has been advertised as a feature..

Wait, doesn't pulling the handbrake in the GRC disconnect the rear drive system? I'm pretty sure this has been advertised as a feature..
It's what we/I initially thought after watching the "ultimate intake test" on the GR Yaris, YT video. The GR Yaris, also has a dyno mode, different sequence of pedal&hand brake presses, though. Called AWD Test Mode vs Inspection Mode on the GRC. Motive Garage also mentions pulling the handbrake and disconnecting some "plugs." BUT, maybe that's just a short cut or backdoor to the same thing... I wouldn't risk it.

Because for some of us, a dyno is a scientific measuring device. How would you like it, if you went to the doctor, and he said you weigh 350lbs and you need to lose a few lbs. Who cares right? Then, you look down, and see that you are a toothpick and if you lost weight that would mean being anorexic... then, you conclude the scale is broken, ask the Dr, and he says who cares, it's just for clicks and views, don't worry about it. I'm putting your weight on the internet so all can see... and, even worse, maybe you are on some dating app, and you are now considered a catfish, and no one wants to date you.

Would you like that?
not at all relatable analogy.

these influencers are using a scientific tool to garner viewership. that's it.

now if someone gets some intakes and does a baseline, then comparative dyno runs on an AWD dyno, then that's a whole lot of setup for nothing, but in this case, it's just a bunch of nothing anyway.

I get it though, when you don't have the car yet you want all the data to back up your purchase, once you are able to sit behind the wheel and feel how it drives for yourself, then you (hopefully) don't need some influencer to give your choice validity (whether it's through an opinion, or 'dyno').

anyway, my goal isn't to argue, I just wanted to share my opinion that the dynos we've seen so far are influencers trying for internet points.

Reactions: GRMcFly
41 - 60 of 158 Posts