Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to see if we can put together a list of differences in part #s, between the GR Yaris vs the GR Corolla, in respect to the drivetrain, which would redeem the GR Corolla having 400lbs more than the GR Yaris.

So far:
Exhaust valve springs
90501-36010 SPRING (FOR EXHAUST VALVE), GRC
90501-36008 SPRING (FOR EXHAUST VALVE), GRY

Exhaust cam
13502-18020, CAMSHAFT SUB-ASSY, EXHAUST GRC
13501-18010 CAMSHAFT SUB-ASSY, EXHAUST GRY

Oil cooler
15710-18020 COOLER ASSY, OIL GRC
15710-18010 COOLER ASSY, OIL GRY

Turbocharger
17201-18030, TURBOCHARGER, SUB-ASSY, GRC
17201-18010, TURBOCHARGER, SUB-ASSY, GRY

Exhaust valves
13715-18020 VALVE, EXHAUST, GRC
13715-18010 VALVE, EXHAUST, GRY

Cylinder head to accept larger exhaust valves
11101-19565 HEAD SUB-ASSY, CYLINDER, GRC
11101-19555 HEAD SUB-ASSY, CYLINDER, GRY

Pistons
13101-18040 PISTON SUB-ASSY, W/PIN STD, GRC
13101-18030 PISTON SUB-ASSY, W/PIN STD, GRY

High pressure fuel pump (hpfp)
23101-18020 PUMP ASSY, FUEL (ENGINE ROOM SIDE), GRC
23101-18010 PUMP ASSY, FUEL (ENGINE ROOM SIDE), GRY

Intake Air Box, and funnel that feeds the pickup tube
17700-18060 CLEANER ASSY, GRC
17700-18050 CLEANER ASSY, AIR, GRY
17753-18020 INLET, AIR CLEANER, NO.3, GRC
17753-18010 INLET, AIR CLEANER, NO.3, GRY

Intercooler
17940-18030 INTERCOOLER ASSY (NO LOGO), GRC
17940-18020 INTERCOOLER ASSY (W/LOGO), GRC
17940-18010 INTERCOOLER ASSY, GRY

——————————————————
Parts unchanged, which we have verified so far:
Intake valve springs
Intake cam
Intake valves
Direct Injectors
Port Injectors
Sparkplugs
Coils
Intake Air Box pickup tube (aftermarket pickup tubes created for the GR Yaris will just carry over)
Intake Airbox tube/couple directly after the Airbox

I believe that with all these changes, 2psi more than the GR Yaris, and dyno testing so far, the GR Corolla is more than redeemed. My guess is that, over a GR Yaris, the GR Corolla makes 40hp more stock (240>280), 40hp more with just a tune(290>340), 40hp more with full boltons & a tune(340>380), and upgraded/modded stock framed turbo should put it past 400whp. This is an entirely different car and motor, make no mistake.

I want to thank ijuswannaride for his help in looking up the GR Corolla part numbers, and "sticky," on the GR-Yaris forums for posting the GR Yaris catalog he reposted from facebook.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, I'll play along.

Only the exhaust cam and turbocharger are a different part number, all the rest are exactly the same as the GRY.

Exhaust camshaft 13502-18020

Turbocharger 17201-18030

And since you want to play that game, the oil cooler for the GRC is a 15710-18020.

😁
Interesting, turbocharger part # has changed.
The oil cooler part # has also changed:
15710-18010 COOLER ASSEMBLY, OIL GRY

Lets keep going...
13711-18010 VALVE, INTAKE
13715-18010 VALVE, EXHAUST
11101-19555 HEAD SUB-ASSY, CYLINDER
13101-18030 PISTON SUB-ASSY, W/PIN STD
High pressure fuel pump (hpfp)
23101-18010 PUMP ASSY, FUEL (ENGINE ROOM SIDE)

The direct injectors are the ones that are used for the high rpms, under boost, which are fed by the hpfp. When those injectors run out, a higher pressure and better flowing hpfp will turn them into higher flowing injectors. I understand that the GRY ran out of fuel with boltons+e85+tune, which necessitated easy drop-in aftermarket port injectors to supplement the direct injectors when they maxxed out. If the hpfp had been upgraded, that would also solve that issue. So, lets check that.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a significantly better motor. It's not just more boost, and larger exhaust, as some have speculated!
We have, better valvesprings, better cams, better fueling, better/larger valves, better flowing cylinder head, better turbo, better oil cooler, better pistons. Wow! How much better is all that's left...

But suficeth to say, it's completely a whole other stepped up motor, with those changes. Should make 40whp more with tuning, and boltons, than the GR Yaris... not just when stock!

· Registered
592 Posts
It would be interesting to see if the GRY part numbers supersede to the GRC part numbers. But I think you'd probably have to ask a parts department somewhere that they sell the GRY. I suspect if you tried the GRY part numbers here in the US the part number would not be found. But I could be wrong.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be interesting to see if the GRY part numbers supersede to the GRC part numbers. But I think you'd probably have to ask a parts department somewhere that they sell the GRY. I suspect if you tried the GRY part numbers here in the US the part number would not be found. But I could be wrong.
Time to make a call to the ANZ region, where they sell both cars. (ANZ= Australia+New Zealand)

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weird... both the GRY and GRC part numbers can be found on parts.toyota.com
And, they don't supercede each other.

I wonder if it's so that Mexican vehicles can be serviced here.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems the rods are forged though, so hopefully the pistons are indeed forged as well, meaning the stock rotating assembly should be able to handle more than enough for most people.
550whp so far on the previous GR Yaris pistons, and these are said to be better... yeah that might be enough. 550whp and they weren't even the failure point. Could be the GR Yaris pistons could handle more, before the absolute limit is reached... then what can these go to? Wow.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
GR Yaris
41301-52290 CASE SUB-ASSY, REAR DIFFERENTIAL, "HIGH PERFORMANCE"(H)OR(I)
41301-48060 CASE SUB-ASSY, REAR DIFFERENTIAL

41301-52340 CASE SUB-ASSY, FRONT DIFFERENTIAL, NO.1, "HIGH
PERFORMANCE"(H)OR(I)
41301-52330 CASE SUB-ASSY, FRONT DIFFERENTIAL, NO.1

· Registered
1,888 Posts
550whp so far on the previous GR Yaris pistons, and these are said to be better... yeah that might be enough. 550whp and they weren't even the failure point. Could be the GR Yaris pistons could handle more, before the absolute limit is reached... then what can these go to? Wow.
Yes I know that, but I don't know of many people who are comfortable with stock internals at those power levels lasting long.

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes I know that, but I don't know of many people who are comfortable with stock internals at those power levels lasting long.
With a kseries, and many motors I've worked with, you find the limit/record others have gone to (720whp in kseries stock block), and bring it down 100hp (about 600whp), and that's a good safe daily limit. Kseries motors are about $1700 for a stock block w/the best parts (k20a2/k20z1 have all the parts stock, the k20z3&k24a2 need parts from the k20a2/z1 motors). Ive only taken them to 550whp stock block.

You also have to know what you're doing. I don't know of anyone else in Austin, TX that has been able to crack 500whp stock block, without breaking it within a couple days. My setups&tune, still going strong years later. So, you can call it 300whp less than max if you'd like... but it's not just if it can do it and hold, it's also the builder & tuner. Does he know how to navigate the limitations and know when to design/build onto it to get to the right setup? Supporting mods, and tuning, is what it's all about.

If the fuel setup is wrong, boom. If the intercooler setup is wrong, boom. If the rev limit, oil pressure, oil cooler, oil temps are wrong, boom. If you don't know how to listen to the motor to know what it's telling you on the inside (like, hey I hear valve flutter and the dyno reading is odd; or timing sounds off, or fuel, etc), boom. If the health of the engine is wrong, and you're oblivious, boom. Same with coolant temps/system. Same with under hood temps. Same with intake&exhaust setup. Then, a clutch that can hold the power, etc etc

It really takes an engineer to lead the charge into uncharted power levels, and keep it there... and we have Motive Garage, Ekanoo Racing, etc, to thank, so far. So, we push the envelope, then back it down, then repeat. The push is currently 550whp with the G16, and that's impressive.

More research, more learning, more pushing it, more fun.

Edit: The kseries took about 6years to get to the 720whp stock block record. Starting at 165whp stock, 250whp with the 1st turbo setup. Then 75-100whp higher was reached every year after. Compare the G16, and just 2years out, and its already at 550whp (~300whp more than stock).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts