Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Drag racing thread: times and information

11K views 95 replies 18 participants last post by  Cptnslo 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure where to post this since we should have an area for this. Not all of us JUST daily our cars haha.
Went to the first test and tune of the season with the GRC. 1300 miles and no seat time.

good news is I ran the car for 2+ hours (10 passes) no cool down time in between runs unless it was sitting in the lanes waiting to go again and no open hood etc and ZERO overheat rear dif warnings.
Ran a multitude of crap times in the 14s and ended up scraping a 13.9 at 101.35mph.

lots of room for improvement with the launch and I’m trying to play with the modes to figure out where I want to be. Clutch definitely needs to be slipped or the car bogs like ffffffff.
mess running in expert mode till someone on Facebook said it still leaves some tc babies on so we will see how that goes with more seat time.
Receipt Font Tints and shades Paper Electric blue

See less See more
#8 ·
Driving curve aside, this thing is only trapping 101mph, and you had a really good conditions (I looked it up, weather in the 60s and 670 foot elevation). I'm really disappointed by that. Sure, you could make up some ET in a 60' improvement but your MPH is telling me all I need to know.

#22 ·
Went to another test and tune. Literally one other car there which was very unusual. Very first pass was a 13.6, then a 13.58 then another 13.6, 13.9.
absolutely crushed the 13.9 I struggled with the first timeI ran the car and a consistent 1.9 60’
Receipt Font Material property Tints and shades Carmine

#27 ·
Nice! I think that's plenty respectable. Considering a 1.8 60 and lower is ideal. A low 13 second time is there. Mph is nice too

However... You have the intake in don't you?:unsure:
There’s a guy on the fb group who has gotten a 12.9 stock with a draggy verification apparently.
lol yes technically I do have the intake, keep in mind though the ecu is completely stock and it’s not likely that it’s adding much (maybe a few Hp) , if any, power. Mainly just noise.

#34 ·
In the name of science, I launched my GRC with it floored bouncing off redline and side stepped the clutch a few times. Pretty sure the torque mount bushing completely failed at doing it’s job as it sounded like the engine hit the firewall. But holy crap did it launch nicely, even better than my RS with launch control. Maybe give it a try?😂 I will definitely be installing a stiffer torque mount.

#57 ·
I'm guessing that 13.0 was GPS drift in the app. Or maybe he's doing no-lift-to-shift. I used to do that in my Evo, but haven't tried (or wanted to try) in anything since. Not sure how the GRC would like that, although I've heard it's actually easier on the trans because you're keeping everything inside loaded in one direction unlike when you lift and the backlash moves to a deceleration state, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Cptnslo
#62 ·
Don't think I've heard of a 1254 ft drag stip. Typically they are 1/8, 1000 ft, 1/4, 1/2, or 1 mile....

#64 ·
Wed is Test n Tune, last I knew. I think Thursday is Slick Night, if anyone is on slicks. It sure if Dr's qualify for that or not.

#65 ·
Just did this on a private road this morning. Best launch I've done in the car. Wish this app gave 60' times though 😕

#68 ·
Went to bandimere for today's import race. 5800' elevation, and I have never raced an AWD car before. I have thousands of passes in a FWD drag car(full throttle on 2 step, clutch drop, 1.6x 60') My first pass was a casual pass and was the quickest of the day. Rev to like 3k and slowly let clutch out.
All passes were in expert & track mode.

2.27 60'
6.28 330'
9.54 @ 76 1/8
12.31 1000'
14.651 @ 97.3 1/4.

I tried a clutch drop @ 5500 on my second time trial and it bogged so bad it's the worst 60' i've ever had leading to a 15.3.

I didnt try to improve during bracket eliminations. I went 6 or 7 rounds and took home a quarter finalist trophy. I dialed a 14.65 and just tried the same launch as the first time but letting off once I was ahead. I lost the last round because I accidentally dropped the clutch, bogged and ran a 15.0. Old habits die hard.

I think it can go 14.1 or so at this elevation. Maybe 13.9 with a rev limit clutch drop. But not a low 13 like some are saying. I'll come back out for a test and tune and try the other 2 diff modes in the next month or so.

#69 ·
Yeah, you aren't setting record ETs if you're doing bracket racing. You need to practice launching before hitting the track.

Congrats on making it to the quarter finals though!

#70 ·
I didn't really have any plans to take the GRC to the drag strip, but a buddy of mine talked me into going out for test and tune last night. He just got his wife a Tesla model X that he described as "stupid fast" . Knowing and having driven all the cars he's ever owned (including a GTR and a couple turbo Porsches), I couldn't imagine him calling anything stupid fast, especially his wife's new kid hauler. So I made several passes down the quarter mile in the GRC. I have to say it was the most bored I've ever been on that drag strip. Clearly not the GRC's wheelhouse. Super fun street car, but on the drag strip it was like watching paint dry. The most fun I had all night, was when he let me take his wife's new Tesla down the track. He was right, it's stupid fast. I made one run against him with me in his wife's Tesla and him in his BMW i8. I've driven the i8, and thought it was pretty quick. The Tesla absolutely left the BMW for dead! I asked him if he was going to go home and tell his wife that I stomped him at the drag strip in her new grocery getter. He said she just really likes the rear doors. 🤣

And for the record, the best I could muster out of the GRC was 14.5 at 96 mile per hour. That thing absolutely sucks to launch. 🙄

#72 ·
Can confirm. I'm surprised it's been open as long as it has. Subdivisions have been encroaching on the land for a decade or so. Oddly enough, it's not closing because of that though. John Sr. just wanted to cash out on the valuable property. Sad, really. It's such a beautiful location with TONS of history.

My personal favorite bit of history from Bandi:

Reactions: Leseid
#79 ·
So I ran my car. And it wasn't good. My best time was 14.4@95. Pretty shit considering I had a 1.9 60. It was pretty hot and humid.

I don't think I'm a bad driver. But based on the time, I am. Or my car has a serious problem.

#80 ·
So I ran my car. And it wasn't good. My best time was 14.4@95. Pretty shit considering I had a 1.9 60. It was pretty hot and humid.

I don't think I'm a bad driver. But based on the time, I am. Or my car has a serious problem.
Is that with the tune and everything? What was the DA and temp

#86 ·
My Yamaha R1 was a ten second bike that I used to run at the same track. My 900 Ninja was an 11 second bike at the same track. My RZ350 was a 12 second bike. Driving my GRC down the quarter mile was like watching paint dry. Not this car's forte, but hella fun on the street. Lesson learned.