Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday, I called the three closest dealers to me and all three of them said they weren't taking deposits or doing waitlists (yet). The third one I called said they aren't doing any markups (without me even asking) and that they will start a list once they hear about allocations. I asked "so should I call back when we get more news?" he repeated yes, when dealers start to hear about allocations to call back. With all that information, and the fact the dealer is relatively close, I decided to just work with them in the future.

I don't trust car dealers in the first place and it seems super shady to just hand over $1000 when we don't even know the price of the car yet, especially when the three dealers I called all said the same thing about them not knowing anything. Its interesting to find on here multiple people with spots and deposits on multiple lists at multiple dealers in a somewhat local area when three dealers near me pretty much all said the same thing. For reference I live outside of Sacramento, CA.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE | Celestial Silver
133 Posts
Depends on how you look at it.

You are correct, what we don’t know is the price and allocation. Allocation we won’t ever really know, as that information we will be at the mercy of the dealerships, informing us what they have been allocated.

Price not being known wouldn’t stop me, as the deposit is refundable (for me at least)… even if stated it’s non-refundable there is an option to get it refunded.

But the main thing to understand is that allocation and the current state of vehicle production/inventory means you are better served to just get in a list and wait.

Could it be earlier than expected? Yes. And also it could take long, but regardless you are in line and that’s really what I feel we all are doing… getting in line.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
I spoken to 7 dealers, 6 in my city and 1 a few states away, and they've all been the same. No deposits, no waitlists, have to wait until they get more information. Honestly, I'm glad they're following protocol, but I'm also stressed because I don't have a sure thing lined up.

But patience is a virtue! Just need to hope the dealers I'm speaking to don't screw me over. And if I don't get one, I don't get one. I'll buy a used one later down the line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoken to 7 dealers, 6 in my city and 1 a few states away, and they've all been the same. No deposits, no waitlists, have to wait until they get more information. Honestly, I'm glad they're following protocol, but I'm also stressed because I don't have a sure thing lined up.

But patience is a virtue! Just need to hope the dealers I'm speaking to don't screw me over. And if I don't get one, I don't get one. I'll buy a used one later down the line.
I'm just glad someone else is in the same boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
5 of the 8 local dealers are charging ADMs. 1 has not responded. The two that are MSRP have wait lists of 20+ and 50+ respectively.

I expanded my search to my home state that I grew up in. 4 of them are refusing any type of list whatsoever. I'm actually hoping this these dealers are my best chance at a Circuit Edition. Imo, if you're not already #1 or #2 on a list in a decently sized metro, you're probably not going to get a Circuit Edition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My local dealer said I was the first to ask about it (as of about two weeks ago) and they haven't started a wait list yet. They also said they hold to MSRP, but until I have everything in writing, I'm gonna be on pins and needles.

·
Registered
'99 2.5rs WRX swapped, '85 Brat, '17 golf sportwagen, '89 K2500 manual
83 Posts
I have not yet tried. Maybe because I'm a little disheartened by the way Toyota will be doing the allocations. Maybe because too many local dealers are for sure doing mark ups. I want one, quite bad. But I'm not sure if I'll be moving states soon either, and I don't really feel like giving a 5k deposit to a dealership to hang onto for a year, with a hope of maybe getting one. I'll be fine with a second model year. Hoping for more color options to come out. Maybe pricing haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think it is situation dependent. We have no idea about allocations but we do have ballpark pricing. At launch I would not expect to get msrp unless your are on the top of the list at msrp only dealers. If you want the car really bad then assume you will be paying some markup. I also see no problem with putting a deposit down. It is no different than preordering a video game etc. from gamestop and its 100% up front. this is just a higher scale. But if a couple thousand can make or break you on getting it, then probably best not to play the guessing game at this point in time as I think later you will be able to get a core normally, though that may be 2-3 years away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think one difference with me is I'm just looking for a core. For everyone looking for a circuit edition it makes more sense.
The point of the deposit is very simple - if the dealership is trustworthy, you're effectively paying for a place in line.

Envision this right now - if you wanted to buy a standard Corolla Hatchback in manual, are you able to walk into a dealership right now and buy one? The answer is likely no (and odds are, any that are on the lot are already presold). Instead, the dealership will try to order one for you - aka request one via allocations that matches your specifications. For this effort, they want to make sure you're serious, so they'll likely ask for a deposit. You'll still end up waiting a few months unless you get lucky...and this is all for a standard Corolla Hatchback.

The GR Corolla, regardless of edition or grade, is going to be far worse. This is why many of us have been so eager to get in line. It is really that simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to my local Chicagoland dealer. Out of all 120ish dealers up here. Only 120 cars will be delivered this year and that includes maybe a single circuit edition. Everyone else on the list will be waiting 2 to 3 years for a car he says.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I called over 30 dealers, checking them off as I called on a google doc. It was a couple hours a day for few days I would be calling. I ended up on 4 MSRP (#2, 3, 6, 10) and 1 ADM (#1) refundable deposit based waitlists. The other 30 or so dealerships didn't take deposits so I was put on some sort of call back list, which doesn't mean much. The important ones are the deposit waitlists, in my experience from the GR86 launch.

My girlfriend wasn't very impressed :LOL:

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
473 Posts
In Houston, which has something like 12 dealers, only three or four accepted deposits. One of which was non-refundable. I placed a #3 deposit at one that was refundable.

I am on the "call list" at a few others. Hoping to be the first when deposits open. My goal is a Circuit, but I should be safe for a Core if it doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to my local Chicagoland dealer. Out of all 120ish dealers up here. Only 120 cars will be delivered this year and that includes maybe a single circuit edition. Everyone else on the list will be waiting 2 to 3 years for a car he says.
Which dealership told you may I ask, cause I just call one and he took my deposit over the phone

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called over 30 dealers, checking them off as I called on a google doc. It was a couple hours a day for few days I would be calling. I ended up on 4 MSRP (#2, 3, 6, 10) and 1 ADM (#1) refundable deposit based waitlists. The other 30 or so dealerships didn't take deposits so I was put on some sort of call back list, which doesn't mean much. The important ones are the deposit waitlists, in my experience from the GR86 launch.

My girlfriend wasn't very impressed :LOL:
In Houston, which has something like 12 dealers, only three or four accepted deposits. One of which was non-refundable. I placed a #3 deposit at one that was refundable.

I am on the "call list" at a few others. Hoping to be the first when deposits open. My goal is a Circuit, but I should be safe for a Core if it doesn't pan out.
Thank you, this all makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The dealership I went to guaranteed MSRP (no markups)…they required a “non refundable” deposit. I get it…they want to make sure the people on their list are serious enough to put money down and aren’t going to be flaky. I’m in no rush for the car, but I’m serious and know demand is high so I’m happy to put money down to have my place in line at MSRP. If putting a 500-1000 down on the car is a deal breaker you are probably not that serious of a buyer.

They say “non refundable” but also explained they are reasonable…if like 2 years have gone by and you’re nowhere near getting close to ordering a refund would be reasonable. But also me the buyer understands I might not be getting a car in the next 6-12 months... I’m a bit down the list, it’s likely I’ll be getting a MY2024 rather than a MY2023.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts