Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing speculation on Reddit that Toyota and Subaru's sports car partnership will continue with Subaru adopting the GR Corolla platform to make a model to replace the WRX STI in their lineup.

What do you guys think? Personally I think it makes sense, although Subaru did suggest that the successor to the WRX will be "electrified". But perhaps this could be a new model separate from the WRX? Subaru fans have been clamoring for an AWD Turbo Hatch, it would kind of make sense from a business perspective.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
I have been seeing speculation on Reddit that Toyota and Subaru's sports car partnership will continue with Subaru adopting the GR Corolla platform to make a model to replace the WRX STI in their lineup.

What do you guys think? Personally I think it makes sense, although Subaru did suggest that the successor to the WRX will be "electrified". But perhaps this could be a new model separate from the WRX? Subaru fans have been clamoring for an AWD Turbo Hatch, it would kind of make sense from a business perspective.
Probably not.

Toyota seems very proud of its complete in house products and might keep it as a Toyota exclusive.

I can see them collaborating on a EV performance vehicle since it’s just a easy body swap.

I would’ve originally said maybe when that whole Subaru/Toyota new hot hatch rumor came out but if they axed the STi for this generation it’s not happening.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,535 Posts

Unless they adopt the GRC as a full electric, I doubt it. Subaru wants to keep the Boxer as their engine up unitl the EV's take over and putting a inline 3 in their line-up doesn't scream Subaru much like the BRZ doesn't scream Subaru. Not to mention, doing so doesn't make much sense in Subaru's line up of cars. The WRX is their cheap fun sports sedan and the BRZ is their cheap fun sports car. The GRC is a rival to the WRX so having it in Subaru's lineup directly overtakes the WRX. Plus what Jeonsa said, Toyota is very proud of their in house products so I couldn't see them just letting Subaru rebadge the GRC. Subaru and Toyota moving forward are focused on combining Toyota's EV tech with Subaru's AWD and creating cars based on that such as the bZ4x/Solterra. And just like everyone else has said, the 2 may share EV performance cars in the future

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds more like the first stage of grief (denial). Outside from wishful thinking, there is nothing in Subaru's statements or...anything, that would suggest such a thing.

Is it possible? Sure - most things are possible. Is it probable? No - from a business perspective, it makes no sense for Toyota to collaborate on a car that will cut into their own GR Yaris and GR Corolla HB sales - like literally none. Even from a legacy perspective, Toyota will likely want one of the last ICE engines to be purely their own.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Sounds more like the first stage of grief (denial). Outside from wishful thinking, there is nothing in Subaru's statements or...anything, that would suggest such a thing.

Is it possible? Sure - most things are possible. Is it probable? No - from a business perspective, it makes no sense for Toyota to collaborate on a car that will cut into their own GR Yaris and GR Corolla HB sales - like literally none. Even from a legacy perspective, Toyota will likely want one of the last ICE engines to be purely their own.
Especially with Akio saying he wants GR products to follow the GR Yaris development, I definitely agree with everything you said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can definitely see GRC and WRX/STI becoming badge engineered twins in the future but not anytime soon.
Boxer 4 and Symmetrical AWD play huge part in STI's heritage and Subaru badged GRC won't have any of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts