Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1261 - 1280 of 1295 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
So the obvious question is how much would you pay for a Circuit Edition in your colour choice over here in New Zealand?
In order to prevent Toyota execs from inflating the price based on forum discussion, just use local New Zealand currency. How many sheep would you trade for a Circuit Edition?

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
I'm curious what heritage the WRX, CTR and Golf R have.
WRX is now about a entry level rally inspired car, CTR is known more for racing in japan and the Golf R kinda has the reputation as being the best all around hot hatch.

GR Corolla per the japan reveal is about performance that changes over time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
WRX is now about a entry level rally inspired car, CTR is known more for racing in japan and the Golf R kinda has the reputation as being the best all around hot hatch.

GR Corolla per the japan reveal is about performance that changes over time.
I don't think the base WRX has any type of heritage. Only the STI. The gr corolla seems to be meant to take over the GT4 legacy between celica(currently nonexistent and current corolla). Golf R seems to float somewhere in the middle as I don't see it as anything great when even compared with an S3. CTR seems to be in its own FWD class. in anything less than ideal weather, I think the GRC would lap it though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First year pricing is easy for Toyota - it will be hard to go too high with the waitlists. Fair pricing will put a lot of money in dealers pockets - that could be in Toyota pockets.

But can they sell 6K manual only cars per year at that price for several years, most with cloth seats and all with a Corolla interior?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the obvious question is how much would you pay for a Circuit Edition in your colour choice over here in New Zealand?
My prediction is 75k NZD give or take. As I’m sure you would know, we don’t do ADM around here so I guess it’s just a matter of where you are on dealers “list”, and how many they will be allocated.

From what I remember first batch of GR Yaris for our market was around 20 vehicles that were already pre-sold before they arrived. Then around 18-months later we were allocated only another 50.

Not overly fussed if I miss out in the first round. Still enjoying our 2017 WRX & 2022 XV between my wife and I.

Any way, back on topic, folks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure what the issue is discussing a probable price, after all thats really all most people are interested in from this point onwards. I don't think people discussing it here is going to affect what our local Toyota distributor will set it at.

NZD$75K for the GRC CE is going to be a bit steep when you consider the top of the line Subaru STi premium went out for NZD$65K, not a hatch but arguably just as good. My pick is NZD$70K tops.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
I don't think the base WRX has any type of heritage. Only the STI. The gr corolla seems to be meant to take over the GT4 legacy between celica(currently nonexistent and current corolla). Golf R seems to float somewhere in the middle as I don't see it as anything great when even compared with an S3. CTR seems to be in its own FWD class. in anything less than ideal weather, I think the GRC would lap it though.
Per Toyota it doesn’t, the GT Four Celica heritage is the GR Yaris. During the reveal basically the Corolla heritage is about the performance variant changing to fit the new era. They showed all the sporty popular Corolla variants over the years like the TE25, AE86, WRC corolla and so on. It’s only in America they tried to just dive into the rally thing because we don’t get the Yaris. (America is more marketing driven)

During the Yaris reveal it was rally everything, Celica etc. (BTW the “GT-Four/All Trac” name is the AWD system, and a lot of models, even a Corolla had the system at one point!)

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well you can try and talk up the "Corolla" here but its going to take time for public perception to change because a Corolla is what your grandmother drives over here. The Subaru WRX had a massive following here and everyone knows about it's rally legacy that has been about for decades and thats why I simply cannot believe Subaru dumped the STi and lost all that history that helped sell the car to an existing fan base. Seriously I had to Google the Corolla rally history I did not even know it existed (apart from the Celica because it had the same 3SGTE engine my MR2 had) and most of it comes up for 1998-1999, not exactly recent. GR are trying to build a brand, its going to take time before these cars get the attention they deserve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer told me back in April that their orders were in and that they were getting three circuits. He has since called me every month or so to confirm that indeed, the cars are ordered and they are coming. He's also said that Canada is getting ONLY 3 circuits and that they are coming to us. I live in the BACKWOODS and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out my dealer was literally the lowest volume dealer in the country. He seemed a little offended when I didn't immediately buy into his story XD So, either this dealership won some kind of back room allocation lottery or its just another load of non-info. I'd put money on the later.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well you can try and talk up the "Corolla" here but its going to take time for public perception to change because a Corolla is what your grandmother drives over here.
But that's the best part if you love to show off but as a humble flex. "That's a Corolla?" "That's a Toyota?"

Seriously I had to Google the Corolla rally history I did not even know it existed
Any Gran Turismo players here should be very familiar with this:
Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
76 Posts
NZD$75K for the GRC CE is going to be a bit steep when you consider the top of the line Subaru STi premium went out for NZD$65K, not a hatch but arguably just as good. My pick is NZD$70K tops.
In 2022, the approximate price range for New Zealand Live Sheep is between US$ 19.45 and US$ 19.85 per kilogram or between US$ 8.82 and US$ 9 per pound(lb). The price in New Zealand Dollar is NZD 27.04 per kg.

Based on my calculations, using NZD$70K for a Circuit Edition equates to 2,588 kg of sheep. Ewes range in weight from 45 to 100 kg, and Rams range in weight from 45 to 160 kg. By averaging the weight of each, it would take a quantity of 36 Ewes or 26 Rams to trade for a Circuit Edition.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well you can try and talk up the "Corolla" here but its going to take time for public perception to change because a Corolla is what your grandmother drives over here. The Subaru WRX had a massive following here and everyone knows about it's rally legacy that has been about for decades and thats why I simply cannot believe Subaru dumped the STi and lost all that history that helped sell the car to an existing fan base. Seriously I had to Google the Corolla rally history I did not even know it existed (apart from the Celica because it had the same 3SGTE engine my MR2 had) and most of it comes up for 1998-1999, not exactly recent. GR are trying to build a brand, its going to take time before these cars get the attention they deserve.
Toyota used to make great sports cars in the late 90's then pretty much stopped making anything cool for like 20 years. I think it is more that they need to rekindle their legacy they once had and has sort of been forgotten.

Per Toyota it doesn’t, the GT Four Celica heritage is the GR Yaris. During the reveal basically the Corolla heritage is about the performance variant changing to fit the new era. They showed all the sporty popular Corolla variants over the years like the TE25, AE86, WRC corolla and so on. It’s only in America they tried to just dive into the rally thing because we don’t get the Yaris. (America is more marketing driven)

During the Yaris reveal it was rally everything, Celica etc. (BTW the “GT-Four/All Trac” name is the AWD system, and a lot of models, even a Corolla had the system at one point!)
Yes, the Yaris is ACTUALLY their new rally car, but the GRC is just the version we get. I did not mean it is meant to "take over" the legacy directly, but will sort of be part of that vein. Yes that name is for the AWD system but they also used "alltrac" as the trim name for those models. I actually wanted to find a supercharged previa alltrac long ago, but they are pretty much impossible to find.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not sure what the issue is discussing a probable price, after all thats really all most people are interested in from this point onwards. I don't think people discussing it here is going to affect what our local Toyota distributor will set it at.

The issue is not discussing probable price, it is discussing the max you are willing to pay. Since there are spies here from press and probably dealerships, if they think everyone was willing to pay 100k for it, I am sure they would try charging it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dealer told me back in April that their orders were in and that they were getting three circuits. He has since called me every month or so to confirm that indeed, the cars are ordered and they are coming. He's also said that Canada is getting ONLY 3 circuits and that they are coming to us. I live in the BACKWOODS and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out my dealer was literally the lowest volume dealer in the country. He seemed a little offended when I didn't immediately buy into his story XD So, either this dealership won some kind of back room allocation lottery or its just another load of non-info. I'd put money on the later.
I'd say you're right, probably salesman speak.

He will probably vanish if they get zero and you come knocking on his door looking for an explanation.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
I’m not talking up the Corolla, just sharing information from Toyota themselves.

I agree with you, their rally history isn’t well known. Only outside of Japan they’re trying to market this as this rally legend, while in japan they talk about how the Corolla is used for many different things for people over it’s lifetime. Like most sub enthusiast groups, only some know that, to others it’s just a econobox.

It’s been discussed on here early on. The greatest sports Corolla ever (As far as being well known) is the AE86 Corolla, but they’re already using it on the GR86. So they have to market accordingly.

STI will be back in some hybrid/full EV variation.

·
Super Moderator
1,994 Posts
They were trying to get a bite is all.

Good thing you saw right through that 😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have stated elsewhere that my friend is a GM over more than one Toyota dealer that is part of a larger multi-brand family owned auto group. He has a “buyer” under him that actually handles the inventory management. His words to me a few weeks ago was that what they would get was kind of a lottery system within Gulf States, at least at that point they would not have much say in what they receive. Price has never even been discussed because I don’t think they have any idea yet.

1261 - 1280 of 1295 Posts