Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
6101 - 6120 of 6284 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
Yep, that's what I figured. Mind sharing what state or region your located in?
I’m in the South but it’s really irrelevant. It’s month 2 on an all new car. No matter what state you are in, the best thing you can do is have patience and get out of the I have to have it now attitude. It will literally save you thousands and thousands of dollars. Your best bet, is to wait.

There is a thread on here that lists MSRP only dealers.

· Registered
214 Posts
I’m in the South but it’s really irrelevant. It’s month 2 on an all new car. No matter what state you are in, the best thing you can do is have patience and get out of the I have to have it now attitude. It will literally save you thousands and thousands of dollars. Your best bet, is to wait.

I'd argue location really isn't irrelevant, but that said you're still correct. It would be more responsible to wait it out.

As for the MSRP dealer list, my original dealer was on there then was later removed further influencing me to start shopping out 😥. In WA it's almost as bad as CA. The high volume dealers have lists beyond the 20s, and the about half the dealers that I spoke with had scrapped their lists and returned deposits to go to a bidding war format. Fvcking Burien Toyota let me go look at theirs but didn't even want to sell it. They want to show room hype it for a few weeks then let the bids roll in 🤮

Seems that even the backwater dealers have lists of 5 or so folks and that may be all the cars they get over the next few years.

For all you guys in states where these are easier to obtain just be glad it seems like a majority of dealers are refusing out of state people (like the rav4 prime and Supra was). I would totally fly to the SE region and scoop a MSRP car if could ;)

I know I'm typing out some major copium here but hey, I got what I wanted and am fortunate enough to be able to pay it easily.
Organism Font Art Illustration Graphics

· Registered
2017 VW GTI
75 Posts
I was finally able to talk with my salesperson about the mystery ADM that was tacked on and the status of my vehicle since it once again disappeared off Toyota Tracker. The ADM thing was a "mistake" and it's been dropped off the car - I'm hoping that there won't be another "mistake" when I actually go to sign paperwork. Car has apparently been built and is set to get into port on February 2nd. Keeping fingers crossed to get it before the end of February, but more likely early March.

· Registered
259 Posts

a dissenting opinion...

every person will have a unique reason and desire for doing what they do, and their own perspective is their own.

you can wait, others don't need to, want to, or care to, and may even have reasons that it makes sense to go now. .

those 2 cores you passed on? you either know someone high up at a dealer, or you were quick and lucky enough to find a dealer that not only accepted your call early on, but had a fair and equitable way to manage early advocates for the car. this is absolutely the exception, it is great that you get to be in the position you are in, others are not.

all signs are pointing to a major market shift, especially with used cars, values of those are at the highest they will ever be again right now, which is down from where they were last year. my trade last summer was worth 27k, I have emails from carmax, carvanna, and some other more local, but still large used car dealers to prove that. when I traded in at the end of December? 22k, and that was over quotes I had refreshed from those vendors.

I absolutely will be looking at the value of what my trade would have been had I waited for the GRC to hit MSRP in my area, just to see if it would have been smarter for me to wait.

at the end of the day, every one of us that have already bought, and paid above MSRP, we are comfortable with our purchase, just as you (and others) are comfortable to have passed. we need to start leaving it at that.

and hey, if your dealer comes through and gets you a Circuit Edition, and you only pay MSRP, kudos for you, I imagine you will be in an exceedingly small group of people who can say that and not be lying about it, or know a dealer owner.

· Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
512 Posts
I'd argue location really isn't irrelevant, but that said you're still correct. It would be more responsible to wait it out.

As for the MSRP dealer list, my original dealer was on there then was later removed further influencing me to start shopping out 😥. In WA it's almost as bad as CA. The high volume dealers have lists beyond the 20s, and the about half the dealers that I spoke with had scrapped their lists and returned deposits to go to a bidding war format. Fvcking Burien Toyota let me go look at theirs but didn't even want to sell it. They want to show room hype it for a few weeks then let the bids roll in 🤮

Seems that even the backwater dealers have lists of 5 or so folks and that may be all the cars they get over the next few years.

For all you guys in states where these are easier to obtain just be glad it seems like a majority of dealers are refusing out of state people (like the rav4 prime and Supra was). I would totally fly to the SE region and scoop a MSRP car if could ;)

I know I'm typing out some major copium here but hey, I got what I wanted and am fortunate enough to be able to pay it easily.
View attachment 6763

As someone with a deposit at Burien Toyota

ooof

· Registered
214 Posts
at the end of the day, every one of us that have already bought, and paid above MSRP, we are comfortable with our purchase
Honestly this is the key take away. Everyone loves the car haha. Except maybe that guy who solid it on cars & bids but that's on him. I still managed to secure mine for less then that price 😆

As someone with a deposit at Burien Toyota
ooof
You should really call them. I walked in there after seeing the VIN on the Toyota inventory website and the kid talked to his sales manager and they basically just said "we'll call you when we've decided we're ready to sell it". Said they didn't have a list and that although they are typically an MSRP dealer they're going to be adding mark up. Maybe they just wanted me to go away since I wasn't on their list and they were BSing me but I'd definitely reach out to your contact.

Its gettin' weeeeird man

· Registered
29 Posts

View attachment 6763
First, congrats on getting one! I'm in WA as well, and had a chance at the one that Kirkland Toyota was selling. It was between me and another buyer, and they chose the other buyer because I was trying to get more on my trade in.

They had 0 "markup", but were trying to push almost 5k in dealer installed addons + 8k in extended warranties.

So I know the feeling; this area is a mini silicon valley and markup just seems the norm. When I tried to get on a waitlist back in April (when I moved out here) they were all full already.

Since losing my chance at Kirkland, I've literally called all the dealers in the state and got my name on a few lists of some salesman. I'm next in line at the Kirkland dealer for their next allocation since they skipped me, and my other closest prospects are down at I-5 toyota and Town Toyota out east in Wenatchee (where I'm also next in line for their second allocation).

Foothill Toyota seemed the best to work with, they were doing a strict $2k markup which I thought was better than the area's $10k. And they were honoring the user's requests. Just... their waitlist was already way too long for me to be considered.

· Registered
264 Posts
i can only call so many dealers a week and still have the energy to keep fighting

brothers, i am COOKED.

taking a break for a bit. every dealer is either accounted for with their cars or injecting SUPREME hypebeast juices directly into their bloodstream with these 10-25k markups

I have a few deposits but who knows when they'll FINALLY get their 2nd allocation

· Registered
214 Posts
First, congrats on getting one! I'm in WA as well, and had a chance at the one that Kirkland Toyota was selling. It was between me and another buyer, and they chose the other buyer because I was trying to get more on my trade in.

They had 0 "markup", but were trying to push almost 5k in dealer installed addons + 8k in extended warranties.

So I know the feeling; this area is a mini silicon valley and markup just seems the norm. When I tried to get on a waitlist back in April (when I moved out here) they were all full already.

Since losing my chance at Kirkland, I've literally called all the dealers in the state and got my name on a few lists of some salesman. I'm next in line at the Kirkland dealer for their next allocation since they skipped me, and my other closest prospects are down at I-5 toyota and Town Toyota out east in Wenatchee (where I'm also next in line for their second allocation).

Foothill Toyota seemed the best to work with, they were doing a strict $2k markup which I thought was better than the area's $10k. And they were honoring the user's requests. Just... their waitlist was already way too long for me to be considered.
Damn, I knew Kirkland was going to pull something like that. I spoke with someone there too in December who invited me to come look when it landed but heavily implied there were going to be additional costs and also that they were looking for trade-ins which I didn't have. I had declined.

It really is tough in the PNW. Given how overwhelmingly common WRX's, STI's and other awd fun cars are up I knew it was going to be a chore but geez.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
a dissenting opinion...

every person will have a unique reason and desire for doing what they do, and their own perspective is their own.

you can wait, others don't need to, want to, or care to, and may even have reasons that it makes sense to go now. .

those 2 cores you passed on? you either know someone high up at a dealer, or you were quick and lucky enough to find a dealer that not only accepted your call early on, but had a fair and equitable way to manage early advocates for the car. this is absolutely the exception, it is great that you get to be in the position you are in, others are not.

all signs are pointing to a major market shift, especially with used cars, values of those are at the highest they will ever be again right now, which is down from where they were last year. my trade last summer was worth 27k, I have emails from carmax, carvanna, and some other more local, but still large used car dealers to prove that. when I traded in at the end of December? 22k, and that was over quotes I had refreshed from those vendors.

I absolutely will be looking at the value of what my trade would have been had I waited for the GRC to hit MSRP in my area, just to see if it would have been smarter for me to wait.

at the end of the day, every one of us that have already bought, and paid above MSRP, we are comfortable with our purchase, just as you (and others) are comfortable to have passed. we need to start leaving it at that.

and hey, if your dealer comes through and gets you a Circuit Edition, and you only pay MSRP, kudos for you, I imagine you will be in an exceedingly small group of people who can say that and not be lying about it, or know a dealer owner.
Quick I agree with, but lucky not so much. If people had did their research, they would have called all dealers within a comfortable driving distance and inquired about mark ups and if they would take deposits on a newly announced model. Take notes on which dealers claimed no markups and would accept deposits, and the hours after the official reveal, call those same dealers and leave a deposit. That's not luck, that's just being proactive. 🤷

· Registered
259 Posts
@Tokyotexan I guess lucky from a perspective of people I've read on here that say they had confirmation from a MSRP dealer and they were on the list, only to read a story last month that they had their allocation, and the list person can come on in, and oh BTW, here's the markup. so yeah, lucky the dealer they are on the list with didn't change their mind after they saw the massive influx of people looking to buy the car.

· Registered
Integra Type R, Triumph GT6
4 Posts
@Tokyotexan I guess lucky from a perspective of people I've read on here that say they had confirmation from a MSRP dealer and they were on the list, only to read a story last month that they had their allocation, and the list person can come on in, and oh BTW, here's the markup. so yeah, lucky the dealer they are on the list with didn't change their mind after they saw the massive influx of people looking to buy the car.
I agree with @Tokyotexan, it's not luck to have a deposit plus written agreement to sell at MSRP, no add-ons, and confirmed #1 spot signed by the head of sales and the GM of the dealership a month before the car is officially announced. We all know dealerships are scummy and that being placed on a "list" means nothing. I don't care that you and others payed ADM but any justification other than "I wanted it now and was willing to pay for it" is getting annoying. There are more examples of people getting cars at MSRP on this forum then those that get hit with a last minute ADM. They are going to make plenty of these and they will be available at MSRP in the near future.

· Registered
214 Posts
I'm just being transparent with my experience so others in the PNW region can make a decision. You wanna see some real cringe go dig around in the facebook groups lol.

· Registered
575 Posts
Yes it would. It would be much better than adults jumping on a forum and crying about not being first, and how much money is it going to take to be 2nd, etc. Far too many are just flat out impatient. I want it now attitude which is a bit like a toddler. You think there is some hard working adult in the United States laying brick, hanging drywall, or a construction worker fixing pavement on a highway doing this kind of thing in their spare time? Overpaying for something to have it now? I don’t and I only say this to put this all in perspective.

I have lived in the Seattle area before and know the place quite well, which is exactly why I left. Cost. Housing is insane, and so is everything else. I mean on a regular old Tuesday night I’d have to drive around my local Fred Meyer parking lot and hunt for a parking space for 10 minutes, to buy groceries. Too many people in too small of an area. The entire metro area is overpopulated. So start looking at adjoining states and find a legit MSRP dealer who will sell to someone out of state. I have dealt with this on Subaru stuff before and hopped a plane to Colorado Springs and drove it home.

· Registered
1 Posts

Hey I am third on the list at Kirkland. I guess you are #1 right now, #2 is an employee that is waiting for a Morizo or Circuit so my chances look good. I too am being told nearly $4k in add ons. They never mentioned anything to me about 8k in extended warranties. If that is the case, they can go F themselves. Hope you get the color you want.

· Registered
31 Posts
Honestly this is the key take away. Everyone loves the car haha. Except maybe that guy who solid it on cars & bids but that's on him. I still managed to secure mine for less then that price 😆

You should really call them. I walked in there after seeing the VIN on the Toyota inventory website and the kid talked to his sales manager and they basically just said "we'll call you when we've decided we're ready to sell it". Said they didn't have a list and that although they are typically an MSRP dealer they're going to be adding mark up. Maybe they just wanted me to go away since I wasn't on their list and they were BSing me but I'd definitely reach out to your contact.

Its gettin' weeeeird man
The List really mean BS at some dealer, you are #1 #6, #22 on the list,.. some dealer each salesman has a list, not by the dealer, you may be #1 at Salesman Billy and #4 at Joe in the same dealer, when the car hit the lot, every salesman will fight to find a customer for it. If your sales is off that day you screwed...

6101 - 6120 of 6284 Posts