Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
561 - 580 of 604 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I've set the bar low for myself. I'm in the middle of the pack on the list at a couple dealers, it's out of my control at this point. Would love to have the car, but I'm not going to put myself into hysterics for it.

I think the people at the top of their dealer's lists will have the toughest decision. The first GRCs will arrive this fall, but they will be Core models, and those people will have to make the call whether to have the first, or gamble and hope that they get the Circuit Spec next spring. We're all getting the feeling that CS allocation could be a mess, so it is possible that they could choose to wait, and then never get a Circuit. Double-whammy of first in line, but didn't get the first car, and also didn't get the special one.

The Circuit Spec is very cool but it may end up being a bit of a trap in that regard. We've seen with the Supra and 86 that Toyota will almost immediately announce the next special 1500-unit run, except it will be blue, with a special stripe, and nice alcantara seats with blue stitching, and probably the wing and hood from the CS. It's expensive to do one-off tooling for big components like that - don't be surprised when those parts show up again on different variants. Even Porsche pulled that when they released the "swan song of the manual transmission" 911R, and people lost their minds, and then to amortize costs and pay off the huge investment of developing a new manual transmission, they made it an option on the GT3.
Yeah we've brought it up several times before. The roof, hood, and wing will most likely be seen in other special editions throughout the years. We know a GRMN Corolla is inevitable and will definitely have those features with a rear seat delete and without the tech and CW packs most likely for weight savings. A rally edition is likely and I wouldn't doubt if they do the hood and roof or do a different hood

·
Registered
107 Posts
Transmissions are a high tolerance specialty experience item. I’m not sure I’d want a dealership mechanic or someone other than the factory expert taking apart my brand new transmission and attempting to install/reshim my brand new differential…
Bingo, plus if your parts are out of tolerance range then the downtime to get new parts would be absolutely ridiculous

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
364 Posts
Yeah we've brought it up several times before. The roof, hood, and wing will most likely be seen in other special editions throughout the years. We know a GRMN Corolla is inevitable and will definitely have those features with a rear seat delete and without the tech and CW packs most likely for weight savings. A rally edition is likely and I wouldn't doubt if they do the hood and roof or do a different hood
Id be pretty surprised if they do a GRMN for US/NA though. Itd be awesome, but doubtful. If you thought getting a CE is hard…. And youll get even more “you paid how much for a Corolla?!” To me the GRMN is more for privateer racer considering it costs well above $60k for the Yaris.
As for installed options, i would def prefer factory installed, esp since youre talking Motomachi. Diffs isnt rocket science, but can take some time.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
217 Posts
Ultimately, with the way how allocation works. If I am not 110% happy with the car I want, I likely will not give it my full love. I rather move on and get something I will really enjoy and not having to deal with this anxiety.
I get where you're coming from with wanting to get the car you want, but completely moving on from the car just because you can't get the spec you want immediately seems a bit extreme. People don't keep every car forever, used GRCs will be popping up. And one benefit of the minimal number of configuration options is that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to track down what you want.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Id be pretty surprised if they do a GRMN for US/NA though. Itd be awesome, but doubtful. If you thought getting a CE is hard…. And youll get even more “you paid how much for a Corolla?!” To me the GRMN is more for privateer racer considering it costs well above $60k for the Yaris.
As for installed options, i would def prefer factory installed, esp since youre talking Motomachi. Diffs isnt rocket science, but can take some time.
It would be a good thing to do. They've done 2 different GRMN Yarises and a GRMN 86 and it'd be a good way to bring GRMN to NA with a GRMN Supra, GRC and another GR86 all before the strictly ICE cars go. I kind of doubt something stateside but who knows. The GRC is very much marketed more for NA considering 80% of production is coming to us

·
Registered
219 Posts
I get where you're coming from with wanting to get the car you want, but completely moving on from the car just because you can't get the spec you want immediately seems a bit extreme. People don't keep every car forever, used GRCs will be popping up. And one benefit of the minimal number of configuration options is that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to track down what you want.
People have been a bit dramatic on these boards lately. All sorts of WELL IF I CAN’T GET A CIRCUIT EDITION GRC THEN I WILL NEVER OWN A FUN CAR AGAIN type stuff. It all seems a bit silly to me and I’m not sure what folks are expecting. It’s a limited production car being built during a time when the supply chain is f**ked and the car market is buck wild.

Guess what? It’s going to be hard to get and if you want one in the next year you might have to compromise in one way or another. I’m fine with that personally, and it’s okay if other people aren’t but I don’t really see the need to be so all or nothing over it.

Is the GRC going to be really cool? Hell yeah! Are there plenty of cool other options out there? Also hell yeah! And if folks are really dying to have a car that’s built exactly like they want it to a T then there are plenty of companies that do custom ordering. It’ll probably wind up costing more, but if it’s what you really want then maybe it’s worth it.

For better or worse Toyota doesn’t do that, and it’s their car. I don’t see what good getting frustrated about it does. They aren’t going to change the way they do things for some hooners on the internet when they’re arguably the most successful car company in the world.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Everyone has a line - I don't think it is dramatic to draw that line and refuse to buy a car that isn't exactly what they want. 35k-42k (probably closer to 40k-45k after taxes/fees, etc) is a lot of money. Then you have to spend more to get it the way you want just because...Toyota?

That is why it sucks that Toyota doesn't build to order. I think if everyone started taking that stance, especially on enthusiast cars, they would be incentivized to change how they sell enthusiast cars. Imagine the lots filled with core grade GRCs with no performance packages (because I imagine most people want the performance package at the minimum) - it would destroy their whole "producing one less" marketing imagery they're trying to invoke.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everyone has a line - I don't think it is dramatic to draw that line and refuse to buy a car that isn't exactly what they want. 35k-42k (probably closer to 40k-45k after taxes/fees, etc) is a lot of money. Then you have to spend more to get it the way you want just because...Toyota?

That is why it sucks that Toyota doesn't build to order. I think if everyone started taking that stance, especially on enthusiast cars, they would be incentivized to change how they sell enthusiast cars. Imagine the lots filled with core grade GRCs with no performance packages (because I imagine most people want the performance package at the minimum) - it would destroy their whole "producing one less" marketing imagery they're trying to invoke.
This! I don't like swapping cars and I baby the cars and I keep them as long as I can. Of course I will want to have the car spec to my preference.

I am a rebel, I am not supporting a artificial seller driven marketplace. All these ADM talk resulting from us empowering the dealers and Toyota. I rather keep my old car than to bend over to the dealer just because everyone is OK with the "take it or leave it attitude." We hold the money, we should be the one to decide what we want to buy. Why should I support a system with my own money where I am not enjoying the experience?

Not just Toyota in general, trying to get a Porsche coupe is the same thing and guess what, I rather give the middle finger to the dealer and buy used.

Especially how I was treated at the first dealer and Toyota, I am ready to jump ship to a CTR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This! I don't like swapping cars and I baby the cars and I keep them as long as I can. Of course I will want to have the car spec to my preference.

I am a rebel, I am not supporting a artificial seller driven marketplace. All these ADM talk resulting from us empowering the dealers and Toyota. I rather keep my old car than to bend over to the dealer just because everyone is OK with the "take it or leave it attitude." We hold the money, we should be the one to decide what we want to buy. Why should I support a system with my own money where I am not enjoying the experience?

Not just Toyota in general, trying to get a Porsche coupe is the same thing and guess what, I rather give the middle finger to the dealer and buy used.

Especially how I was treated at the first dealer and Toyota, I am ready to jump ship to a CTR.
I couldnt agree with you more, however, the CTR and Honda are even worse at ADM than Toyota is.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I couldnt agree with you more, however, the CTR and Honda are even worse at ADM than Toyota is.
Toyota hasn’t had a product in awhile that really compared though. I remember when rumblings of the “TRD” (GR) Corolla was coming out and people already figured there would be a “Type R Tax”

It’s greedy nonetheless.

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI
33 Posts

If they make a bunch of Cores without the PP, I'd love to see them sit on the lots to make Toyota reconsider this ridiculous allocation system. The unfortunate fact is that while the enthusiast will scoff at the car without the LSD and wait until the next, some joe schmoe who just wants "that cool fast Corolla" will buy it and Toyota will still make their money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota hasn’t had a product in awhile that really compared though. I remember when rumblings of the “TRD” (GR) Corolla was coming out and people already figured there would be a “Type R Tax”

It’s greedy nonetheless.
If the GR86/BRZ is anything to go by, it won’t be impossible to find at MSRP. My area is about 50/50 on the various Toyota dealers marking up or keeping to MSRP. This definitely is different though.

It’s funny, actually, one of my local dealers previously had the GR86 marked up a bit. I asked about the GR Corolla and they arent doing any markups or anything. I’m hoping the fact that Toyota named it the Corolla and made it an almost unassuming hatchback made uninitiated dealers not notice how sought-after it is. This definitely hurt for the GR86- as it’s a specially named model and it’s a sporty looking RWD coupe.

that’s just me theorizing, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If they make a bunch of Cores without the PP, I'd love to see them sit on the lots to make Toyota reconsider this ridiculous allocation system. The unfortunate fact is that while the enthusiast will scoff at the car without the LSD and wait until the next, some joe schmoe who just wants "that cool fast Corolla" will buy it and Toyota will still make their money.
I’d agree with you on hoping they sit in lots but on the flip side with our luck Toyota would say “huh they aren’t selling well I guess!” and axe the line all together

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
If the GR86/BRZ is anything to go by, it won’t be impossible to find at MSRP. My area is about 50/50 on the various Toyota dealers marking up or keeping to MSRP. This definitely is different though.

It’s funny, actually, one of my local dealers previously had the GR86 marked up a bit. I asked about the GR Corolla and they arent doing any markups or anything. I’m hoping the fact that Toyota named it the Corolla and made it an almost unassuming hatchback made uninitiated dealers not notice how sought-after it is. This definitely hurt for the GR86- as it’s a specially named model and it’s a sporty looking RWD coupe.

that’s just me theorizing, though.
The GR86 is suppose to be a more widely available (more mass produced), affordable, sports car. GR Corolla is different in the way Toyota is approaching the car in general.

Like I was saying previously, it is their “Type R” finally, whereas before they didn’t have anything like it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Move to Canada 🤣 the land of no dealer mark up and universal health care (and no red/blue states)

I’d agree with you on hoping they sit in lots but on the flip side with our luck Toyota would say “huh they aren’t selling well I guess!” and axe the line all together
Mazda mentioned the enthusiast market is hard to please. I don't think Toyota is making money with their own GRY or GRC. It's not mass production cars and they can axe it like Mazda Speed.

I still think the Core without options will still get scooped up. That's missed opportunity on Toyota anyways. First they hyped everyone up, then gave us all the options, but ended up to be a random lottery. They might as well just advertise the car in one trim and one color, save everyone's time. Then it is "take it or leave it".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Toyota is all about profit so they will likely make more Cores with PP than without just so they can force people to buy the higher cost packages. This just so happens to align with what enthusiasts want so I doubt any GRCs will sit on lots, Joe Schmo or not. I have a feeling that those who want the absolute bare-bones Core model with no packages are going to be the ones disappointed and put to a hard decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Toyota is all about profit so they will likely make more Cores with PP than without just so they can force people to buy the higher cost packages. This just so happens to align with what enthusiasts want so I doubt any GRCs will sit on lots, Joe Schmo or not. I have a feeling that those who want the absolute bare-bones Core model with no packages are going to be the ones disappointed and put to a hard decision.
You will be very surprised. Lol.

561 - 580 of 604 Posts