Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Dealer Updates (what's your dealer telling you?)

974K views 8K replies 449 participants last post by  Wsidr1 
#1 ·
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

There is a ton of excitement right now on the forum and its hard to keep up with all the threads, but I thought it would be good to start a thread now to aggregate all the info we are hearing from dealers only.

In the next few days/weeks/months there is going to be a lot of info flying around about ability to spec the cars or not, getting a choice between CP or Core, is there an official specing process, landed dates, build tracking etc etc.

So lets keep this to info you are hearing from your dealer.

I'll start.......i called my dealer again this morning and basically got nothing, haha. Nice kid and said he would shoot me a text as soon as he hears anything but also said "if you hear anything on the forums, let me know and I'll see what I can find with that info".

Seems like he wants to help but not a lot from him right now.

You?

See less See more
#4 ·
One dealer I've been on a contact list said they won't contact anyone until they know of allocations coming to them, another said they aren't doing anything. The main one has sadly gone radio silent on me despite my pestering which has me worried

#9 ·
No info yet. Will follow up once more information becomes available.

At this point they’re in the dark as much as us. I’m waiting to see if either A) a reservation system opens and the whole wait list thing becomes moot or B) dealers start to get allocations at which point I’ll follow up again. For right now I’ll just keep my contact list and know who to hit up if more headway with ordering is made.

#10 ·
My salesman is also a enthusiast and watched the launch and was very excited. He wrote out a sales order with everything I wanted, model, color options etc. Then they wrote pricing to follow, with car sold at MSRP. He did tell me to try not to be to picky on the different packages as Toyota may load up the packages on first cars. I told him to get me a Core model in White or Red with Performance package. If the car they could get had that plus the other packages, I agreed to take them all. He seems to think you have a better chance getting an early car this way. Been buying from the same guy for many years and trust him ( I know crazy trusting a salesman) .

#12 ·
I e talked to about 10 today. 6 of them are admitting outright to markups or required additional packages. 1 told me they needed a $2,000 deposit, told me I'd be 3rd in line and that they'd be charging a $5,000 markup on all GRC.

3 are claiming MSRP, but two won't take my money until they have an allocation, and 1 hasn't gotten back to me on putting in a deposit yet. Either way, the guy I was working with at the $2k deposit place is telling me to get any MSRP offers in writing, which was my plan to begin with.

#14 ·
That sad thing about the 3 claiming but 2 won't take it is my trust with them writing down the info and letting you know. I've been in contact with 5 dealers in my area and no one really gives an update unless you reach out first. Would've been nice to get a "hey, the car is being officially announced at this date, you should watch the livestream" after the press release went through

#18 · (Edited)
Im a salesman in CT, and took a bunch of deposits from fellow members here.

I know the most out of everyone here in my dealership lol, but I did just make my inventory manager find out what's going on. He's upset about all the deposits coming in because they're only making 90 cores for the NY region for 2022 (that's gonna be around 1-2 per dealership) the NY region is CT, NY, NJ and the other states around those.

This car is going to be hard to get guys. I recommend everyone to put deposits in different regions. For example... One in NY region (from me 😏) one from south, one from west, one from cali. You know, places like that.

Don't do one in CT, one in NY, because we get the same allocations.

I wish Toyota did orders instead of just allocations.

#20 ·
Im a salesman in CT, and took a bunch of deposits from fellow members here.

I know the most out of everyone here lol, but I did just make my inventory manager find out what's going on. He's upset about all the deposits coming in because they're only making 90 cores for the NY region for 2022 (that's gonna be around 1-2 per dealership) the NY region is CT, NY, NJ and the other states around those.

This car is going to be hard to get guys. I recommend everyone to put deposits in different regions. For example... One in NY region (from me 😏) one from south, one from west, one from cali. You know, places like that.

Don't do one in CT, one in NY, because we get the same allocations.

I wish Toyota did orders instead of just allocations.
I thought about doing this, but a lot of dealers are restricting sales to their state only. Even the one that's less than 5 minutes over the TN border won't sell to me here in AL.

• Sad
Reactions: Wynorrific
#19 ·
Called yesterday (DC area) as soon as a dealer was open. The salesman told me they were waiting on allocation information but would call me and let me reserve one as soon as they had it. They took down all my info and said I was the first person to call about it and would be the first person they contact when they know. Who knows whether or not that’s true or just dealer speak, but the guy seemed to get it over the phone.

#22 ·
There is a ton of excitement right now on the forum and its hard to keep up with all the threads, but I thought it would be good to start a thread now to aggregate all the info we are hearing from dealers only.

In the next few days/weeks/months there is going to be a lot of info flying around about ability to spec the cars or not, getting a choice between CP or Core, is there an official specing process, landed dates, build tracking etc etc.

So lets keep this to info you are hearing from your dealer.

I'll start.......i called my dealer again this morning and basically got nothing, haha. Nice kid and said he would shoot me a text as soon as he hears anything but also said "if you hear anything on the forums, let me know and I'll see what I can find with that info".

Seems like he wants to help but not a lot from him right now.

You?
I swear if we got the same dude workin on this….

#26 ·
I’m in KY and the salesmen I’m dealing with has my name and info and everything. They aren’t taking any of my money for a deposit (500 bucks) until they have the vspecs for the car. At that point they’ll get in touch with me and see if it’s spec’d how I want it. If I find out there’s any order system I’ll clearly have to let them know but I’m number 1 on my dealerships list and it’s a good sized dealer.
They told me already there will be a 2500 markup on top of msrp which I expected and honestly was not as shitty as I expected although markups in general suck.

#30 ·
I contacted another couple dealers and one just responded (Alexandria Toyota) that they’d take a deposit. I told them I’m down for it but that I’d rather wait for MSRP than pay a markup on one of the first ones. Will keep you all posted…I also informed them of what I have to trade in for it (a 2020 GTI DSG that’s at only 12500 miles and has had all its maintenance) in the hopes that it’ll sweeten the pot a bit. Will keep you all posted!

#42 ·
So approx 1/10 to 1/6 of the volume to Canada. If the initial batch of 6000 is correct that would mean 600-1000 here. 285 dealers gets us 2-3 per dealer. But that's only if they actually make 6k and only sell those ones in North America. Once it goes worldwide we're gonna be getting next to none.

#41 ·
I ended up placing a deposit at two dealers because I've had bad experiences in the past. Both told me I was the first to put money down for a GR Corolla and I was first in line.

One dealer called me yesterday afternoon and told me "they're telling us to only expect 1 per dealer. It turns out we have one person in front of you who placed a deposit two months ago, so I don't want you counting on us..."

Me thinks because I got a fair price (MSRP + $695) in writing when I put the deposit down that they want to keep whatever they get to heavily mark up. Very disappointed in how this is handled so far.. but the other dealer has been quiet so I have that going for me I guess.

#47 ·
One dealer called me yesterday afternoon and told me "they're telling us to only expect 1 per dealer. It turns out we have one person in front of you who placed a deposit two months ago, so I don't want you counting on us..."
Yeah, this is going to be the biggest "hurdle" I think. Regardless of when we get on the waitlist, if someone high up at the dealership wants the car, they're going to get the car. Just a fact we have to live with I think.

Once it goes worldwide we're gonna be getting next to none.
I wouldn't make such assumptions. When the Toyota marketing VP spoke about those numbers, it was heavily suggested that they can produce more if needed, but they want to keep production just low enough to get us desperate. It was also said that production will ramp up over time.

Since it sounds like he is speaking specifically about NA, I imagine that other countries will have separate production numbers.