Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
If this article below is true, I think I'll get my deposit back, I don't want to get a random car and random color for which God knows how long I have to wait ... This approach does not work for me and IF true and confirmed , I'll stop wasting my time waiting. Good luck with your "allocation" guys wish you all the best !
O guess that's why BRZ is outselling 86 in 10 to 1 numbers ! ... that's a "great" marketing Toyota! .. if this follows 86 in sales, someone is going to look for anew job :)

This is exactly how Toyota does their sale process. Lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If this article below is true, I think I'll get my deposit back, I don't want to get a random car and random color for which God knows how long I have to wait ... This approach does not work for me and IF true and confirmed , I'll stop wasting my time waiting. Good luck with your "allocation" guys wish you all the best !
O guess that's why BRZ is outselling 86 in 10 to 1 numbers ! ... that's a "great" marketing Toyota! .. if this follows 86 in sales, someone is going to look for anew job :)

Pretty much from the day of announcement it has been said/known that it would be allocation only and not ordering; at least for the first year.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts

The BRZ isn't that much different

Reactions: jdm-v35

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
Not sure what timeframe you're talking about for 10 to 1 sales. For Q1 2022, the BRZ sold 971 units while the GR86 sold 1,001.
I'm pretty certain the last gen 86 out sold the BRZ as well

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
212 Posts
That's how my MIL got her Highlander last year, it was a little bit fiddly and a bit more of a wait but in the end she was able to get one spec'd exactly how she wanted it. The only odd part was that the interior colour she wanted seemed to be more in demand, they'd get snagged right away but the other colours weren't as much of a rush to say yes to. You'd think they'd take that into account at least a little and build more of them in the spec people are more keen to get.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, haven't bought a Toyota since 2009 , seems things have changed , not to my liking . Wish you guys good luck, if you're willing to put with this kind of approach. All the best and enjoy your GRC, I think I'll go a different route in this case.

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
29 Posts
I'm pretty certain the last gen 86 out sold the BRZ as well
The last gen was limited by Toyota. Subaru was only allowed to manufacturer 1:5 or 1:3 as a BRZ or something like that. this was removed with the 2nd gen and both are able to make whatever their demand is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The last gen was limited by Toyota. Subaru was only allowed to manufacturer 1:5 or 1:3 as a BRZ or something like that. this was removed with the 2nd gen and both are able to make whatever their demand is.
Where I live, you rarely see an 86, mostly BRZs possibly because Subaru has a larger clientele. A week ago I went to Toyota there was a white 86 sitting on the lot for sale.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Toyota can surely build a very solid reliable product but their business model for sales is ridiculous.
I'm so glad I'm going to be able to order my Lotus Emira with every specific option I want, and nothing more, to give me my own unique car.
What is the problem with going back to the sensible way of selling cars....customer decides on the model, color and options, places a down-payment and takes delivery 3-4 months later.
Simple.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much from the day of announcement it has been said/known that it would be allocation only and not ordering; at least for the first year.
Yeah you're possibly right, I have a different buying experience ... Not sure if things are the same in Canada where we live, or if I get some kind of additional "benefits" as I buy a new car every 18-24 months and the dealers around know I do not settle for cars not to the specs I ask for, and I'll walk into a different dealership if they cannot get specifically the car I need. Everyone was complaining for not finding the '22 new BRZ, when the dealer called me in November '21 to ask me if I want one to choose out of the first 3 available for them . Just ignore me, possible things are different in the area around us ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
in 2013 I was able to purchase the exact Tacoma I wanted, color ,trim etc. I was told I could order it if I wanted to wait for it to be produced in Texas.
Reading these threads, I wonder if my dealer just waited out a preference list until one came up as available?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what position you are at each dealership whether you're first second or third+ in line it's the luck of the draw, whatever car comes up and is available, and if it's not your choice in colour or options you either pass and hope another car comes up that checks more of your boxes, or you choose that one and are disappointed and bitter because you really don't like the color black, and really wanted the performance pack with the limited-slip differentials.
Horrible sales strategy in my opinion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toyota can surely build a very solid reliable product but their business model for sales is ridiculous.
I'm so glad I'm going to be able to order my Lotus Emira with every specific option I want, and nothing more, to give me my own unique car.
What is the problem with going back to the sensible way of selling cars....customer decides on the model, color and options, places a down-payment and takes delivery 3-4 months later.
Simple.
Possible some dealers take advantage of customers and enthusiast on models like this. I just walk away regardless of manufacturer if I am not getting the car I want ... I am the guy with the cheque, if they're not willing to get specifics there's another dealer around the corner , I am not biased by any brand so I do not like when a dealer / brand tries to "force" my hand ...there are plenty options to choose

·
Registered
201 Posts
….I’m not sure that the allocation process is a good reason to just walk away from the car entirely? I mean, your call, but it’s not like it’s been much easier to get desirable cars from other manufacturers that do built to order. The Ford Bronco roll out has been a train wreck that’s been loaded with surprise fees, stuff being delivered without features, a ludicrous market for barely used models, etc…and the process of getting a Maverick seems as though it’s been just as dicey.

They’re not a perfect comparison, as those are higher volume cars, but I think the point stands. I also don’t think it’s going to be any easier to get a competitor either. It’s always been a pain in the ass to get a Civic Type R and Honda dealers have a reputation of being nearly as much of a nuisance as Hyundai/Kia. They’re also really twiddling their thumbs when it comes to getting it to market in the first place…at this rate it’s looking like it’ll be 2024 before they’re here. Golf Rs are out there but you’re talking 45k+ BEFORE they get obliterated by markups….and the all haptic/touch interior? Yikes.

I’ve looked into the Hyundai N products too and that stuff is marked up into the stratosphere AND their dealers literally don’t want to sell you one for some reason. Unfortunately it’s just a challenging time to buy a car. Toyota’s system isn’t particularly great, but I don’t think it’s bad enough to give up on the car…especially when similar options have plenty of their own red tape to sort through

·
Registered
85 Posts
Possible some dealers take advantage of customers and enthusiast on models like this. I just walk away regardless of manufacturer if I am not getting the car I want ... I am the guy with the cheque, if they're not willing to get specifics there's another dealer around the corner , I am not biased by any brand so I do not like when a dealer / brand tries to "force" my hand ...there are plenty options to choose
In this case I don't think its the dealer's fault. It is overall how toyota plans to do it and tell dealers "too bad, you get what you get".

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
….I’m not sure that the allocation process is a good reason to just walk away from the car entirely? I mean, your call, but it’s not like it’s been much easier to get desirable cars from other manufacturers that do built to order. The Ford Bronco roll out has been a train wreck that’s been loaded with surprise fees, stuff being delivered without features, a ludicrous market for barely used models, etc…and the process of getting a Maverick seems as though it’s been just as dicey.

They’re not a perfect comparison, as those are higher volume cars, but I think the point stands. I also don’t think it’s going to be any easier to get a competitor either. It’s always been a pain in the ass to get a Civic Type R and Honda dealers have a reputation of being nearly as much of a nuisance as Hyundai/Kia. They’re also really twiddling their thumbs when it comes to getting it to market in the first place…at this rate it’s looking like it’ll be 2024 before they’re here. Golf Rs are out there but you’re talking 45k+ BEFORE they get obliterated by markups….and the all haptic/touch interior? Yikes.

I’ve looked into the Hyundai N products too and that stuff is marked up into the stratosphere AND their dealers literally don’t want to sell you one for some reason. Unfortunately it’s just a challenging time to buy a car. Toyota’s system isn’t particularly great, but I don’t think it’s bad enough to give up on the car…especially when similar options have plenty of their own red tape to sort through
My idea was to factory order one - same as with every other car buy - unless one on stock- wait for 3-6 months and get the car I ordered ... but if that means that it takes 2-3 years to get one, and if the dealer around won't get one as it has "not enough sales numbers" to qualify for one ... this is not a car buying experience I am looking to get not even for a Ferrari ( not that I would get one) ... if I would be treated by a any car manufacturer this way ( not saying that Toyota does it) I would walk away in a second . NOBODY gets to treat me this way when I am paying that much money - it would NOT be the dealer/ manufacturer fault - it would be MINE for accepting to be treated this way ... just I am NOT willing to pay + $40k and get what's available when available . Factory order as spec'd with 3-6 months wait is acceptable for me... if not possible, sayonara

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts

I don’t think it’s bad enough to walk away from a car, but the allocation process for a niche vehicle is a pain.

@therra.voice is right though, as people get so hyped over something they don’t really think about the process and what it means.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts