Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Daddy Doug DeMuro's overview is live

13K views 95 replies 24 participants last post by  xO_Crafty 
#1 ·
here it is. Given recent developments with my dealer screwing me over and me losing my spot on the list, now reviewers are just rubbing it in. One day I'll get one.

#4 ·
Something I learned from Father Douglas's review is that he expects to see the final version of the GRC's spoiler "in the next month", but I'm not sure if that's just conjecture.

I also might've missed this but it looks like the Core will be getting different tires from the Circuit. It looks like the Circuit will be getting Pilot Sport 4s (not to be confused with 4S), and I'm not sure what the Core will be getting. (side note - disappointed that the CE is not getting the higher-tier 4S tires, and the Core relegated to the 4. I think Pilot Sport 5 is also available soon?)

Doug also seems to agree with some predictions of sub-40k for the price (I don't think he specified which trim, though). Will be curious if that's true.

#28 ·
I am actually hoping (since I live in the NE) to NOT get strictly summer tires. We still get some snow here in PA and late October (could be delivery date?) it does get cold. Soo hoping to tell the stealership to throw some continental DWS's on it instead of summers it comes with. Ive used Conti DWS's on my wrx for years and never had issues even in light (not deep) snow. Eventually would like to do a winter/summer set up with two sets of wheels on the GR Rolla.

#21 ·
I'm worried about the seats. I told myself my next car would finally have leather, but since I am planning on getting the core model that may not be the case. Hopefully the core model has the same seats, just replacing the alcantara with cloth in the center, as leather on the bolstering is always welcome.

#40 ·
You also have to consider the competition. A last gen CTR technically started at what…$38 I think? A Golf R starts at 45, but it’s a semi-luxury car that only comes fully loaded with a bunch of stuff Toyota isn’t offering on the GRC. Etc. Also, Toyota will definitely not want the core to cost as much as a base 4 cylinder Zupr4 since it’s their halo car. They’ll probably be fine with the Circuit bumping up against it since it’s a special edition that will be very limited.

I think your answers are there, but I also think they’ll want a totally base core to start in well equipped WRX/GTI territory so it gives people shopping those something to think about. But the folks expecting low 30s and even mid 30s are almost certainly going to be disappointed. I’m planning/budgeting for the core with PP I want to be 40k and I think that’s a good number to keep in mind.

#41 ·
You also have to consider the competition. A last gen CTR technically started at what…$38 I think? A Golf R starts at 45, but it’s a semi-luxury car that only comes fully loaded with a bunch of stuff Toyota isn’t offering on the GRC. Etc. Also, Toyota will definitely not want the core to cost as much as a base 4 cylinder Zupr4 since it’s their halo car. They’ll probably be fine with the Circuit bumping up against it since it’s a special edition that will be very limited.

I think your answers are there, but I also think they’ll want a totally base core to start in well equipped WRX/GTI territory so it gives people shopping those something to think about. But the folks expecting low 30s and even mid 30s are almost certainly going to be disappointed.
Id say it will be close to the premium WRX with thr core model. It obviously has more HP than the GTI and WRX but they can't price themselves out. So 36k with no packages seems about right. But im just waiting until Toyota releases the price which should be soonish. End of this month or June is what rumors are pointing to.

#70 ·
My neighbor has one! It’s a very, very good looking car. Shame that it’s just a Prius underneath (or win, depending on what you want) but it’s a really well designed car. I’ve actually recommended them to my non enthusiast friends who’ve asked what they should do if they want a cheap reliable hatchback.

Frankly I find the idea of a luxury hot hatch to be super appealing but the rest of the US car buying populace does not. An RS3 hatch has always been an unobtainable dream car of mine.

#77 ·
If you want a more upscale interior the MK7 and 7.5 GTI and Golf R are very nice for the money. I have a barebones 2020 GTI S (the only options mine has are the DSG and a set of all weather mats) and it feels like cars twice its price. I’ve also driven a MK7 R and thought it had a great interior too. If you want something closer to a luxury car feel they’re the best bet in this class IMHO.

That being said new MK8 interiors are a dystopian tech nightmare that’s been universally panned by the automotive press. I wouldn’t touch one until they update it, although FWIW the base GTI S has some knobs and buttons that the higher trims don’t, so it’s a more viable option IMHO.

You can also look at S3s, which have great interiors (Audi interiors rule IMO)…but they get pricey very quickly and used ones are holding their value really well in this market.

#79 ·
If you want a more upscale interior the MK7 and 7.5 GTI and Golf R are very nice for the money. I have a barebones 2020 GTI S (the only options mine has are the DSG and a set of all weather mats) and it feels like cars twice its price. I’ve also driven a MK7 R and thought it had a great interior too. If you want something closer to a luxury car feel they’re the best bet in this class IMHO.

That being said new MK8 interiors are a dystopian tech nightmare that’s been universally panned by the automotive press. I wouldn’t touch one until they update it, although FWIW the base GTI S has some knobs and buttons that the higher trims don’t, so it’s a more viable option IMHO.

You can also look at S3s, which have great interiors (Audi interiors rule IMO)…but they get pricey very quickly and used ones are holding their value really well in this market.
I agree with all of this. Personally I'm eh on the Golf R, a buddy had the mk7 when I was shopping for the RS and recommended that route. Great car, best in class interior no doubt, and extremely tunable. It just lacked character to me. Only due to my conditioning though, the cars I've owned recently have an absurd (and detrimental to some buyers) amount of character.

Really looking forward to driving impressions of the GRC, the interior looks comfortable enough. Enough for the wife, that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.