Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
I considered a used R when I bought my 2020 GTI new. I drove both and liked the GTI more. It’s just a more endearing car. A little less refined, a little more character, and it had a little bit more of an edge to the drive than the R did. The GTI has the plaid seats, which are amazing. It has the history. It’ll absolutely roast the front tires on command. It gets a little squirrelly when pushed to the limit. Etc.

The general consensus is the current R is a huge improvement other than the techno nightmare interior. But the MK7 that I drove was just a little too polished. The salesman was shocked when I said I got more out of the GTI test drive and didn’t think the R improvements were worth the price, but that’s how I felt.

Basically this is just a long winded way of saying I have a lot of experience with the Golf variants and agree with you haha. I absolutely love my GTI, I just see the GRC as a chance to get a truly special car that I can’t turn down. It’ll basically be most of what I love about my GTI cranked up to 11.
The Golf R feels like it's basically an Audi or a baby-Porsche. It's refined and sporty but also luxurious but I agree in that it lacks character and edge. I will gladly sacrifice luxury for that edginess and more performance. I'm not one for luxury at all

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Golf R feels like it's basically an Audi or a baby-Porsche. It's refined and sporty but also luxurious but I agree in that it lacks character and edge. I will gladly sacrifice luxury for that edginess and more performance. I'm not one for luxury at all
I was fully considering the MK8 R until the reviews on the infotainment came out and local dealerships started smacking ADMs on them. One place nearby wants $61,000 for theirs. Another wants $55,000. You’d be utterly insane to pay that much for one. That’s M335i territory and that car will absolutely smoke a Golf R. That’s also where you can start getting a pretty decent Porsche, or an RS3, or an AMG of some sort…just, no lol. Greedy assholes…

I’m fine with luxury personally. My parents each have Audis and I really enjoy driving both of them. But performance and feel are much more of a priority for me. If I have to choose one or the other I’m going performance every single time. When the car’s a hoot to drive all else is secondary…within reason. I still don’t like a penalty box interior and would prefer not to make that level of sacrifice with a Veloster N or something like that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
At what point do you just go buy an Audi S3... They MSRP at $45k. Granted, I assume Audi dealers are also charging an arm and a leg in ADM.
I actually don’t think they are. In my experience most luxury/high end companies are just charging MSRP. They have reputations to uphold and make more money because of the higher prices of their cars. But regular people companies? Not as much.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
I actually don’t think they are. In my experience most luxury/high end companies are just charging MSRP. They have reputations to uphold and make more money because of the higher prices of their cars. But regular people companies? Not as much.
Luxury cars also have a lot of profit for the dealer as it is so I'm sure they don't need ADM unless they're really greedy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Doug nailed it here. When I had a Bronco on order I frequented the Bronco6G forums and there was a bit of a divide in regards to the interior. Owners that came from a background of owning Fords and Jeeps thought the interior was totally fine and owners from more upscale brands that bought the Bronco for nostalgia or because it looks cool were disappointed by how cheap the interior is. Personally I found the Bronco interior one of the cheapest, low rent you will find in any vehicle today especially at the price point but I've owned enough Fords in the past to be conditioned for cheap, hard plastic. The Corolla really does seem to have a low rent interior compared to even other cars in the compact segment but EVO interiors were always crap and I never really cared when I owned mine. My only gripe with the GRC interior is the black plastic that is going to age poorly over ownership.
My xse hatchback doesn't actually have much plastic as it looks. Outside the piano black pieces and half the doors its all soft touch material. So its not crappy it just isn't luxury. But it still would disappoint alot of people looking at this car that are used to a lexus or even a golf R.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My neighbor has one! It’s a very, very good looking car. Shame that it’s just a Prius underneath (or win, depending on what you want) but it’s a really well designed car. I’ve actually recommended them to my non enthusiast friends who’ve asked what they should do if they want a cheap reliable hatchback.

Frankly I find the idea of a luxury hot hatch to be super appealing but the rest of the US car buying populace does not. An RS3 hatch has always been an unobtainable dream car of mine.
Mannn a Lexus hot hatch to compete with the RS3 would be so damn cool...one can dream right? TBH if they end up developing the 8AT I don't see why the GRC can't have a Lexus counterpart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Can you elaborate on the dealer screwing you over? Did you have a deposit for a waitlist?
I called the day after the press release to 3 dealers in my area. All of them said they weren't doing a list, but one said they sell at MSRP while the other two aren't. I didn't even have to ask, the salesperson goes "We're MSRP by the way." I called later that week to see if they had a list, they said no. I called a week later they said no. Two weeks ago I saw on here that dealers were contacting people with information about allocations. So I called and they say "oh we have a list, come in to the showroom and we'll put you on." I go to the show room and they go, we have too many people on the list we aren't adding any more. So I go "When did the list start?" They go, "Months ago, when the announcement happened" (thinking they will deter me by saying so). So I tell them I called right after the announcement, and again, and again. The salesperson felt really bad at that point and said they have had a lot of miscommunication about the list and how orders were going to be taken. He also said that since I have an out of state area code they may have just been shooing me away. So now I'm on the list but I'm #22 at a pretty small dealership. We'll see what happens. I just want a core anyways and who knows what my financial situation will be come fall and how many people will pass on what colors ect. It's just frustrating that I did everything right and still lost my shot.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2017 GT350R, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
193 Posts
I called the day after the press release to 3 dealers in my area. All of them said they weren't doing a list, but one said they sell at MSRP while the other two aren't. I didn't even have to ask, the salesperson goes "We're MSRP by the way." I called later that week to see if they had a list, they said no. I called a week later they said no. Two weeks ago I saw on here that dealers were contacting people with information about allocations. So I called and they say "oh we have a list, come in to the showroom and we'll put you on." I go to the show room and they go, we have too many people on the list we aren't adding any more. So I go "When did the list start?" They go, "Months ago, when the announcement happened" (thinking they will deter me by saying so). So I tell them I called right after the announcement, and again, and again. The salesperson felt really bad at that point and said they have had a lot of miscommunication about the list and how orders were going to be taken. He also said that since I have an out of state area code they may have just been shooing me away. So now I'm on the list but I'm #22 at a pretty small dealership. We'll see what happens. I just want a core anyways and who knows what my financial situation will be come fall and how many people will pass on what colors ect. It's just frustrating that I did everything right and still lost my shot.
That's rough. When you say press release, do you mean the actual launch in March? Or one of the Instagram press leaks?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats rough. Usually if you have a trade in they don't care about out of area. But that's just shady they should have been upfront.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, I hope the dealer I gave my information to the Thursday after the announcement actually put my information down on a list but we will see as well lol.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts