Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2017 GT350R, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
193 Posts
There are people expecting higher quality material, that’s why Guff and Doug mentioned the fact it is a Corolla, interior is still Corolla with minor changes to suit the car.
Interesting, I do recall Doug bringing that up and comparing it the RS and others. I guess people don't realize all the funds go to the powertrain and driving dynamics on vehicles like this. You'll get bolstered seats, but that's about in regard to the interior.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting, I do recall Doug bringing that up and comparing it the RS and others. I guess people don't realize all the funds go to the powertrain and driving dynamics on vehicles like this. You'll get bolstered seats, but that's about in regard to the interior.
The one plus to the Corolla interior is it’s all soft touch (or at least in the front) which is nice. Scratchy, hard plastics drive me up walls. Once car reviewers started calling them out I started noticing them a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
1,275 Posts
Yeah and the welding/extra adhesive.

I think people just like seeing where their money is going, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah and the welding/extra adhesive.

I think people just like seeing where their money is going, if that makes sense.
I get that. Gotta jack up the car and crawl under then :LOL:

Yes, which boggles my kind. If it did this car would be 45-50k starting out.
Man, EASY. Tech and high end materials are way more pricey than people assume.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We're getting a bit off topic here but I'd personally love to see a Lexus-fied GRC. Maybe a modernized version of the CT200h?
View attachment 2074

It was always one of the most handsome hatchbacks I've seen.
My neighbor has one! It’s a very, very good looking car. Shame that it’s just a Prius underneath (or win, depending on what you want) but it’s a really well designed car. I’ve actually recommended them to my non enthusiast friends who’ve asked what they should do if they want a cheap reliable hatchback.

Frankly I find the idea of a luxury hot hatch to be super appealing but the rest of the US car buying populace does not. An RS3 hatch has always been an unobtainable dream car of mine.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
We're getting a bit off topic here but I'd personally love to see a Lexus-fied GRC. Maybe a modernized version of the CT200h?
View attachment 2074

Yeah I said the same in another thread after I saw Larry Chen say the same thing. It'd be a cool idea for sure. I've always loved them but wish it was more sporty performing wise to fit the looks

Reactions: jimv2013

·
Registered
2020 X3M Competition
77 Posts
There are people expecting higher quality material, that’s why Guff and Doug mentioned the fact it is a Corolla, interior is still Corolla with minor changes to suit the car.
Doug nailed it here. When I had a Bronco on order I frequented the Bronco6G forums and there was a bit of a divide in regards to the interior. Owners that came from a background of owning Fords and Jeeps thought the interior was totally fine and owners from more upscale brands that bought the Bronco for nostalgia or because it looks cool were disappointed by how cheap the interior is. Personally I found the Bronco interior one of the cheapest, low rent you will find in any vehicle today especially at the price point but I've owned enough Fords in the past to be conditioned for cheap, hard plastic. The Corolla really does seem to have a low rent interior compared to even other cars in the compact segment but EVO interiors were always crap and I never really cared when I owned mine. My only gripe with the GRC interior is the black plastic that is going to age poorly over ownership.

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
View attachment 2074

I always loved this car. I'd be surprised if we didn't see the auto being developed for the GRC/Y and the G16 slapped into a Lexus at some point, with comfier suspension and more luxury-ified interior. I seem to vaguely remember shopping for a CT200h and being entirely unable to find one with a manual.

Doug nailed it here. When I had a Bronco on order I frequented the Bronco6G forums and there was a bit of a divide in regards to the interior. Owners that came from a background of owning Fords and Jeeps thought the interior was totally fine and owners from more upscale brands that bought the Bronco for nostalgia or because it looks cool were disappointed by how cheap the interior is. Personally I found the Bronco interior one of the cheapest, low rent you will find in any vehicle today especially at the price point but I've owned enough Fords in the past to be conditioned for cheap, hard plastic. The Corolla really does seem to have a low rent interior compared to even other cars in the compact segment but EVO interiors were always crap and I never really cared when I owned mine. My only gripe with the GRC interior is the black plastic that is going to age poorly over ownership.
Absolutely true. I drive a souped up Ford Focus. At the end of the day, it's a Ford Focus. A car built to be cheap.

To be fair, my 2014 Focus, who has lived it's entire life in the Alabama/Tennessee sun, has zero damage to it's cheap, black plastic interior. I don't use a sun shade or anything. It's held up surprisingly well to 8 years of abuse.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,545 Posts
I always loved this car. I'd be surprised if we didn't see the auto being developed for the GRC/Y and the G16 slapped into a Lexus at some point, with comfier suspension and more luxury-ified interior. I seem to vaguely remember shopping for a CT200h and being entirely unable to find one with a manual.
Yeah they didn't come in manual at all and the engine/suspension wasn't very sporty either since it was just a Prius with a different shell. I love the look of the F-Sport package they did on the refresh but it didn't give any sportiness to boat

Reactions: ryno9100

·
Registered
193 Posts

Absolutely true. I drive a souped up Ford Focus. At the end of the day, it's a Ford Focus. A car built to be cheap.

To be fair, my 2014 Focus, who has lived it's entire life in the Alabama/Tennessee sun, has zero damage to it's cheap, black plastic interior. I don't use a sun shade or anything. It's held up surprisingly well to 8 years of abuse.
Same case with the RS too. A caliber higher, but literally the exact same interior as the ST and almost identical to a standard SE. I even had a limited edition 1 of 500, and still the only difference between its interior and an ST's was 4 (literally only 4) carbon fiber bits on the door handles, e-brake, and gauge cluster :LOL: no other functional changes, just different seat stitching. But again, that's ok. I'd rather have them pump a few thousand into the cooling system or brakes rather than a more plush center console layout or a digital gauge cluster.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you want a more upscale interior the MK7 and 7.5 GTI and Golf R are very nice for the money. I have a barebones 2020 GTI S (the only options mine has are the DSG and a set of all weather mats) and it feels like cars twice its price. I’ve also driven a MK7 R and thought it had a great interior too. If you want something closer to a luxury car feel they’re the best bet in this class IMHO.

That being said new MK8 interiors are a dystopian tech nightmare that’s been universally panned by the automotive press. I wouldn’t touch one until they update it, although FWIW the base GTI S has some knobs and buttons that the higher trims don’t, so it’s a more viable option IMHO.

You can also look at S3s, which have great interiors (Audi interiors rule IMO)…but they get pricey very quickly and used ones are holding their value really well in this market.

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
But again, that's ok. I'd rather have them pump a few thousand into the cooling system or brakes rather than a more plush center console layout or a digital gauge cluster.
This. Exactly this. One of the reasons I fell in love with the ST is that it was a basic car with money pumped into driving and performance, but no money "wasted" on luxury items.

It's the primary reason I think the GRC will be reasonably priced. I don't think it'll be $30k like some do. But it is clearly a souped up Corolla. More souped up than the ST and RS ever were compared to the Focus, but it's for performance.

TL;DR; I don't really care about frills or super luxury stuff. Give me the basics and dump the rest of the money I'm spending on your car into performance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want a more upscale interior the MK7 and 7.5 GTI and Golf R are very nice for the money. I have a barebones 2020 GTI S (the only options mine has are the DSG and a set of all weather mats) and it feels like cars twice its price. I’ve also driven a MK7 R and thought it had a great interior too. If you want something closer to a luxury car feel they’re the best bet in this class IMHO.

That being said new MK8 interiors are a dystopian tech nightmare that’s been universally panned by the automotive press. I wouldn’t touch one until they update it, although FWIW the base GTI S has some knobs and buttons that the higher trims don’t, so it’s a more viable option IMHO.

You can also look at S3s, which have great interiors (Audi interiors rule IMO)…but they get pricey very quickly and used ones are holding their value really well in this market.
I agree with all of this. Personally I'm eh on the Golf R, a buddy had the mk7 when I was shopping for the RS and recommended that route. Great car, best in class interior no doubt, and extremely tunable. It just lacked character to me. Only due to my conditioning though, the cars I've owned recently have an absurd (and detrimental to some buyers) amount of character.

Really looking forward to driving impressions of the GRC, the interior looks comfortable enough. Enough for the wife, that is.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with all of this. Personally I'm eh on the Golf R, a buddy had the mk7 when I was shopping for the RS and recommended that route. Great car, best in class interior no doubt, and extremely tunable. It just lacked character to me. Only due to my conditioning though, the cars I've owned recently have an absurd (and detrimental to some buyers) amount of character.

Really looking forward to driving impressions of the GRC, the interior looks comfortable enough. Enough for the wife, that is.
I considered a used R when I bought my 2020 GTI new. I drove both and liked the GTI more. It’s just a more endearing car. A little less refined, a little more character, and it had a little bit more of an edge to the drive than the R did. The GTI has the plaid seats, which are amazing. It has the history. It’ll absolutely roast the front tires on command. It gets a little squirrelly when pushed to the limit. Etc.

The general consensus is the current R is a huge improvement other than the techno nightmare interior. But the MK7 that I drove was just a little too polished. The salesman was shocked when I said I got more out of the GTI test drive and didn’t think the R improvements were worth the price, but that’s how I felt.

Basically this is just a long winded way of saying I have a lot of experience with the Golf variants and agree with you haha. I absolutely love my GTI, I just see the GRC as a chance to get a truly special car that I can’t turn down. It’ll basically be most of what I love about my GTI cranked up to 11.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts