Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Colts Build Thread: fondly to be called GRanola

34K views 252 replies 34 participants last post by  Raaaaay 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I finally acquired my GRC today I figured I’d start my official build thread and update as the car progresses.
I plan on documenting pretty much everything, modifications, track days (1/4mi and track, I’m in Bowling Green KY right now for work so I have Beech Bend and NCM), designing parts in CAD as well as how they’re made etc. I’m a design engineer by trade so the GRC parts are just a fun side project for me.

This is going to be a freaking blast! Im coming from a MKV Supra so this will be a fun change, I know my dog thanks me for not having to sit in the front seat anymore haha.

Anyway here some pictures from delivery day, the first one was from when I happened to drive by the dealer in the morning and the rest are from when I actually went to pick her up.
The paint overall is pretty clean but there’s some light microabrasions in the clean that I’ll be polishing out before I ceramic coat her.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The Supra got traded I’m not financially comfortable enough to do that right now nor do I have space for 2 cars. I could ideally garage one and park the other in front of my garage but it wasn’t the decision I was comfortable with. Eventually I’ll get another mkv

#9 ·
No they’ve come way down. People are still trying to ask ludicrous amounts but it’s definitely dropped. My buddy has an f80 m3 and that market has also dropped heavily.
however I still got 42k for trade in at a dealer and my car had 40.3k miles and was only 49k new without the driver assist and jbl packages so it’s not really that bad in terms of deprecation on what would be classified as a depreciating asset.

#26 ·
Started doing the prep work. Super under impressed with adams new cut and polish pads. I went back to my rupes foam pad with the meguiars 205 ultra finishing polish and I’m getting better results. I’m taking some video since photos without direct light on the microabrasions is kind of an illusion of good detailing. I also have to fix some, what appear to be, orbital burns from the detailer at the dealership 🤷🏼‍♂️
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door

#27 ·
I mentioned in my other product thread but the arm rest arrived today and I began test fitting. It seems as if my idea of printing a custom vase plate and mounting to the pre existing holes under the rubber pad will work perfectly! The arm rest slides forward and back and I’ll make a template to make small holes in the rubber bottom plate so that it doesn’t have to be jacked up and this way no seat material needs to be cut.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Automotive design Car seat cover Personal luxury car Car Fixture

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Rectangle Tints and shades Comfort Auto part Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Synthetic rubber Composite material

Car Vehicle Automotive design Gear shift Steering wheel

#28 ·
Digging the two tone on the Walther. My brother in law's PDP is the best striker-fired polymer handgun I've tried yet, their offerings are totally slept on.

Looking forward to hearing direct comparisons between the GRC and Supra as you get more post break-in seat time.

#30 ·
I mean the way around it would be for me to trim the bottom of the box to account for the magazine and then it would just sit in there and essentially almost function as a trigger guard, but the problem is is if you actually need it to get it out in any kind of speed. It would be a little bit of a hassle.

#31 · (Edited)
Took the front end apart today to scan for a secret person 🤫 I’ll be making up a video of the scanning process and the front bumper removal for people to use in the future. Getting to the intercooler wasn’t bad and removal was pretty dam easy. Thankfully, Toyota kept almost every bolt the same size so I think I needed like three tools for everything coming from the intake through bumper removal through intercooler removal.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Hood
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Photograph Tire White Automotive tire Tread

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

#32 ·
Waiting anxiously for the front clip R&R video, I want to get at those fog lights and little horn, and am still struggling with displaying the service manual files.
Those headlight housings are Huge, bet they won't be cheap to repair!

#33 ·
Waiting anxiously for the front clip R&R video, I want to get at those fog lights and little horn, and am still struggling with displaying the service manual files.
Those headlight housings are Huge, bet they won't be cheap to repair!
I have all the clips together to make the video after today. I’ll probably work on it and get it out tomorrow!
Yeah I’m a little concerned about what the headlight cost for Linda being I know the supra headlights were like $1200 so yeah it’s a little concerning for rock chips and other things I’m almost tempted to PPF just the headlights at a bare minimum just to get some extra protection on them.

#39 ·
Got together today with a buddy of mine who’s a professional photographer since I can’t take a photo to save my life I figured I’d let someone who does it for a living take a stab at it. Once he sends me the edits I’ll post them up but here’s a few teasers of him snapping photos.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Sky

Car Sky Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

#40 ·
The next time I hear someone say "nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it..."
I'll respond with, "try wire tucking a GRC and get back to me..."
That shit looks like multiple rat nests under the engine cover... I would hate whoever's job it is at motomachi who is responsible for wire and vacuum line routing in the engine bay... 😂

#41 ·
The next time I hear someone say "nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it..."
I'll respond with, "try wire tucking a GRC and get back to me..."
That shit looks like multiple rat nests under the engine cover... I would hate whoever's job it is at motomachi who is responsible for wire and vacuum line routing in the engine bay... 😂
I just hate wire tucking in general, fuck that haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.